07.04e: The Wander Inn

The goings on of courts
Benabik
Sane. VERY Sane.

Re: 07.04e: The Wander Inn

Post by Benabik »

Benabik looks as if he wants to say something in reply to Lyra, but decides against it.
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

Krajk actually unbends enough to arch one eyebrow as Rasanam enters, examining him with his lips faintly pursed. Almost as if he's running through some sort of mental checklist... He gives an amused snort, one corner of his mouth crooking upward, before returning to his meal. As Benabik flips through the strange deck of cards Krajk makes no attempt to hide his curiosity, but it's also quite obvious he's not making any efforts to actually see what's displayed thereon*.

(*If they were cards in a game, he wouldn't avert his eyes if someone accidentally showed their hand but otherwise he's playing fair.)
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Aibne slowly lowers his voice after the crescendo of the fight with the dragon, letting mourning enter his tone. He tells, slow and soft, of the grievous wounds that Beowolf got after the fight with the dragon - sad and low of the treatments that Wiglaf tried and tried again, only to fail and see his lord and master sicken and die. He tells of the mourning of the kingdom, and of the men who would be king after Beowolf, of his great many sons, some of whom are graybeards even now. But then he tells of whispers - the countryfolk reject these nobles, these petty lords, and crown the squire as the next king of danes. "And, though jealous, 'twas clear he had the right," he ends slowly, after all is said and done. "By the right of arms and of people, by the right of wisdom and honesty, by the right of skill and of honor." He looks dead on at the squire who requested the tale as he speaks. "The sons of Beowolf did not further contest his crowning after he had bested each one in combat, from the oldest graybeard to the youngest, and he lived long and ruled wisely for the rest of his days."

He moves to put his instrument down, 'accidentally' letting the small empty harp case fall to the floor of the small stage and open, which he pretends not to notice while he untuned and takes care of the harp, just in case someone would care to offer a few spare coins*.

(*He's expecting copper bits, by and large, maybe a silver or two for every ~15 or so, half of which goes to the owner anyway.)
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam looks slightly puzzled at Benabik's comment. "All?" he asks, and flips quickly through his own trump deck. "Oh, you didn't mean that literally." ((Double-checked with the GM: there is no card for Krajk yet, which in turn means the Court of Rebma hasn't expanded since Benabik last paid attention to such things.))

Meanwhile, Fjolnir flies over and perches near Aibne. "I haven't heard that story before. Interesting style." ((Aibne will note that his harp case contains notably fewer coins after Fjolnir's arrival - Fjolnir is a raven, with all the penchant for shiny things that implies - but that the overall value has gone up considerably with the addition of a single gold coin, stamped with a pentagram inside four-fifths of a circle.))
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"Oh, it's an old epic. I rarely tell it the same way twice," he says, quietly, shrugging a little. "I don't change too much of the core details, but everything about being a skald is knowing how the audience wants to hear the tale." He considers a little, before tilting his head at the bird. "So, ravens like shiny baubles and eyes, right? I might have something you might be interested in, if you'll do me a small favor," he says, smiling slightly to the raven, keeping his voice low.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Fjolnir cocks his head sideways, and regards Aibne with curiosity. "An interesting proposition, certainly; what did you have in mind?"
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra will head over and request a song of Aibne. Its a romantic ballad of sorts popular in the taverns of her home city of Akra. While the title isn't immediately familiar, Lyra will quietly sing a small part of the song which is likely familiar. With a smile, she'll deposit a coin as well of similar size and weight to the one left by Fjolnir.

Returning to the table, Lyra makes further small talk, attentive to whatever topic is being discussed while tapping a finger in time with Aibne's playing. However, Rasanam's presence has usurped her attention and the remnants of her meal are paying the price, sitting neglected as she leans against her husband contentedly. (OOC: if anyone has anything else to discuss here, please do. Otherwise Lyra is prepared to continue the tour)

Once everyone seems to have finished their meals, Lyra will suggest, "Shall we continue the tour, Raven? Krajk? We can take in a few sites of interest and make our way towards Rebma. I have to say I'm a bit anxious to see the place. Benebik, I imagine we'll see you later this evening?"
Benabik
Sane. VERY Sane.

Post by Benabik »

"Are there any other events of note before then? I will need to return to my quarters before the ball, but there's no need for me to miss anything interesting."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"Well, I believe there's a planned meeting to discuss..." Rasanam trails off and glances at Krajk, "...certain internal political concerns that I probably shouldn't be troubling our guest with. But that's set for just before the ball, and Lyra and I were planning on touring Rebma some, first. Which was part of the reason for this shapeshifting spell I'm using; it would be inconvenient to limit that to just the parts of Rebma that have been enchanted to hold air."
Krajk
Needs a Guide

Post by Krajk »

Krajk will smirk faintly as he is explicitly talked around, but he doesn't seem to take any particular slight over it. He finishes off his ale and nods amiably at Lyra. "If you're finished eating, then by all means let us resume our grand guided tour."*

(*Yes, he's being a bit snarky. Only a bit though, he's in a fairly good mood at the moment, he just finds much about the current situation amusing.)