07.01j: The Seventh Winter (Dinner with Dragons)

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.01j: The Seventh Winter (Dinner with Dragons)

Post by Joshua »

Each table has a unique ice sculpture on it. One table has a wonderfully intricate dragon, half-way between an oriental dragon and an eastern one in honor of the merchant sitting there.

Oberon is smiling and talking with Galadrian Hart, owner of the Dragon's Den. They're discussing the dating scene within Amber, when Oberon catches Alys standing by herself, and waves her over. The topic does shift slightly as she makes her way there, into ensuring the rights of workers in such establishments as the Dragon's Den.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.01j: The Seventh Winter (Dinner with Dragons)

Post by Wyvern »

Alys will introduce herself, and make some reasonably insightful comment on the topic at hand (OOC: I bid warfare, given that no specifics of the current discussion have been provided). Then she adds, "But really, that's just one facet of a larger issue; some of the shadows I passed through on my way here had some... interesting practices that I do not wish to see imported."

When asked for details - which I'm sure she will be - Alystrakos will describe a factory, of the early industrial revolution style, all exposed heavy machinery and no safety margins. "It was on fire when I got there, of course, and whoever had built the place had included no allowances for that, either; I had to break down a few walls to give the workers a chance to get out."

(OOC Edit: Reference link for Galadrian Hart.)
(OOC Edit 2: Since apparently it wasn't clear, the "larger issue" Alys is referring to is worker's right in general - not just for one specific profession. And the practice she doesn't want to see imported is treating people as expendable cogs in a machine, where it's cheaper for the people running the factory to hire new workers as needed than it is for them to install safety mechanisms to prevent their workers from getting maimed in the first place. Fire safety is important, too, of course, but it's something of a side note.)
Last edited by Wyvern on Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Galadrian will blink. "I suppose fire is a concern. I don't think we have a fire-code. At all." He thinks. "Actually, there haven't been any major fires in the city yet. I think they're handled by the police at this point."

Oberon will smirk and add. "I suppose that you'd have to be careful of those you transform, I suppose. Have a handler." He will look a bit more serious. "Still, Worker's rights have been an individual's concern. Dworkin hasn't made and specific demands, and the city is just getting large enough for it to be a concern. It was simpler when it was just a giant work-camp."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"In the short term, there's not much that can be done - unless we can convince someone like Asai or Rasanam or Morgana to spend a few weeks fireproofing buildings, in which case we could at least set up some firebreaks and contain the scope of any disasters. A fire code would be a good idea, but we'd have to start by just applying it to new construction; annoyingly, the places most at risk - for example, the areas around Jericho's district - are exactly the places that won't be able to afford to remodel."

"Long term... I think I should do some surveying, actually; see if there's anywhere in the forest that could serve as a source for an aqueduct. That'd likely take several decades to build, but having fresh water readily available should be useful for more than just firefighting."

"As for worker's rights... I'm probably not the best choice for just declaring laws, and that's likely to cause resentment among the rich no matter who does it. Perhaps a different approach would be better. ...Do either of you happen to know the mage guild's policies for apprentices?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Galadrian shrugs.

Oberon nods, "In terms of who is accepted? I'm not sure if there is a formal teaching method yet. I don't think the guildmaster is in attendance tonight. If you wish, I could take you there tomorrow."
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

(Continued from Fireside Negotiations, will edit in precise linkage when it becomes available.)

In truth, Asai had been heading towards a different destination, but with the smoothly abrupt change of directions so characteristic of felines she saunters up to the table where she'd just heard her name mentioned. Popping upright behind an unoccupied chair, she interjects, "I believe the guild officially operates on a policy of apprenticing the best and brightest so that their skills might be bettered, but oftentimes it seems that the brightness of what is in their purses is of relevance as well." Somehow her voice manages to be innocent and disdainful all at once, an impressive feat.
Last edited by Veyska on Mon Mar 31, 2014 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys raises an eyebrow. "Oftentimes... or all the time? I have no objection to the former..."
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"If it was all of the time, I would have done something about it by now. It's a pity that a superbly skilled but poor would-be mage might well be passed over in favor of a richer candidate who is 'merely' quite skilled, but hardly earth-shaking save for that particular being." She grimaces. "Even back in my home shadow, such was often the case, but at least there the poorer apprentice would still gain the teaching they sought if at a slightly less one-on-one level. 'Tis a model I hope to emulate or inspire here, but as with your theoretical aqueduct such things are long-term projects. For the now... I have surreptitiously sponsored one or two promising mages, though they don't know precisely who their benefactor is nor will they until they've graduated. For that matter, the Guild doesn't know either. The former would find it intimidating and the latter tempting, and neither is particularly productive."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Galdarian will speak up. "Well, most mages don't have time to apprentice new people. Most of the mages in the city are those who arrived with the skill. The problem is in the time it takes to learn magic. I spent five years apprenticing and was considered a fast learner. Considering that this world is only seven years old, that makes it difficult to bring new mages up to speed. Especially since most of them are needed for the importing of essential goods."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"That does not sound particularly sustainable. We either need enough mages for both importing and training the next generation... or we need trade routes that don't require sorcery or Pattern. I know we have some people who can follow a path once it's shown to them... do you suppose it might be possible to create a path that nearly anyone could follow?"

Alys' tone is that of someone who is quite certain it's possible... but has nearly zero relevant experience.