07.01i: The Seventh Winter (Table in the Corner)

The goings on of courts
Rasanam
Lunatic

Re: 07.01i: The Seventh Winter (Table in the Corner)

Post by Rasanam »

"Well, if such a thing shows up without my intentionally seeking it, that would be a strong argument that the Pattern outright creates what we choose to consider important - since there are a nearly infinite variety of things that could show up here, and the odds of one that matches my drawings actually doing so purely by chance is negligible. That wouldn't rule out the possibility of some places existing on their own, of course, but it would certainly suggest that at least most of the 'infinite possibilities' either don't exist before we find them, or are..." Rasanam pauses for a bit, trying to find the right words. "...In some way rendered... unlikely to impact our existence."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"which is fascinating, but doesn't answer the original question." Morgana says, smiling.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam shrugs. "It's still a better test than no test at all. I suppose you could instead try to walk to somewhere that doesn't exist, but I can't imagine that would be very safe; if you succeeded, how would you get back?"
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

"But in trying to go somewhere that doesn't exist wouldn't you just be creating that place in the doing? I'm not sure explaining the nature of the pattern is within any of our capacities but I do like the idea of...experimenting. Trying to understand it as best we can is still going to be valuable." Lyra's attention turns back to the image Rasanam is developing. "You're making me wish I'd brought something to draw with as well...not that I'd have anywhere to keep such items in this dress. Ahh the sacrifices we make for the sake of appearances."

Lyra's gaze takes in both Rasanam and Morgana as she asks, "Is it just me or does the atmosphere this evening seem a bit...tense? Admittedly I don't have much court experience...but it feels as if everyone that sees me is evaluating me more than simple curiosity would warrant."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will sigh. "Well, two things really. Each year seems to bring an influx of new people. While most have been pleasant enough, the larger the courts get, the more the need for actual politics instead of simple agreements. Plus, each of us has... a ridiculous amount of power. At some point, someone might arrive who is completely disagreeable. Last, Dworkin has been making small hints that he might decide about the power-base of the courts. For example, while I'm the spiritual leader of Ht'Gon, there isn't a formal ruler. If I was declared as such, or... perhaps you were chosen, then there would be challenges. Plus, the criteria that Dworkin would use is likely related to Pattern, and not actual leadership. That's the worry anyway."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Lyra slowly nods, considering the ogress' words. Her gaze sweeps over the room again, noting how conversations have shifted and allowing Morgana's insight to guide her understanding of the mannerisms and body language of those gathered. "How long have you been here by the way? It seems that you've been doing a good job of keeping Ht'Gon organized so far. We need Leaders here, not Rulers, if we want to develop a flourishing society. That's why I can't see any wisdom in challenges. None of us know the others well enough to make a judgement call on their ability to lead, apart from those such as yourself that have already proven to have some skill at it. For someone to challenge a new appointment made by Dworkin would be pure hubris."

Lyra's contemplation of the guests brings her gaze back to Lady Alystrakos and lingers there as she is approached by yet another guest. That knife trick had been impressive but seemed hardly appropriate for such a stately affair. Thinking back, Lyra was sure that subtle threats and political maneuvering had likely been just as prevalent at every ball she'd attended in Akra, likely more so. Had she really been so blind to politics back then or had she simply not cared? With a slight chuckle to herself, the Half-drow leans over to sit closer to Rasanam, putting an arm around him as he continues to sketch. No, she had always noticed. She had simply had much more important things on her mind.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana will think. "I've been here about three years. Benabik, Harrune and Oberon were here before me, Ossian arrived a few days later. Oh, and Aibne has been here longer than I have... Although I'm not sure why he hadn't walked the pattern earlier. Time passes differently in different shadows. So, it's possible to go for a three year walk and be back in an hour. Although, you can't shift shadow around Amber, so, that adds a few days to any trip. I think Darnell has a shadow of fast time, but he's an elf, so he's not worried about growing old."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam flips back to the sketch of the room, and looks around again, adding a few details. (He'll also - in reference to Lyra's comment a few posts back about not having material to draw with on her - tap one of his pockets, indicating the resting place of a spare sketchbook.)

"To me, it feels... a little like the midwinter masquerade back home; all the mage guild leaders, mingling with... people whose power is less a function of personal might. Though at least here," Rasanam follows his wife's gaze towards Lady Alystrakos, "It's easier to tell who the really dangerous ones are."

At Morgana's last comment, Rasanam shakes his head. "Must be a different kind of elf. Though, I've a few ideas on how to address that particular problem - and some ideas on how to acquire the time to implement the first set, in case my normal few centuries isn't enough."
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Lyra happily extracts Rasanam's extra sketchbook and sets about capturing the likeness of the ice sculpture that graces their table, likely a powerful looking western style dragon. "It does feel like home a bit. I do wish Jiga was here to see all of this."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Morgana blinks. "What do you mean a different kind of elf?"

(OOC: sorry for the short post, but... morgana can feel the weight of that statement.)