07.08e: Intrigue Arcane

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.08e: Intrigue Arcane

Post by Joshua »

"Would you want to subsidize the training? There's not a lot of us willing to train, and the ones who can make a lot more of a living by working with caravans." Wyllt is still a little oblivious to Asai's actions... "We don't have much of an organized presence, and unfortunately, that would take a proper bureaucracy."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Oh! I see." Alys cocks her head in a manner reminiscent of a corvid who has just realized she needs a better stick.

"What are the current dues and membership benefits of the guild?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Wyllt blinks, "It's about (gives an average price for guild), it allows a mage use of our training facility and access to out guild rates and negotiation for caravans. New members currently have to petition individual mages for apprenticeships, although rates are relatively standard. There's also protection from the trade guilds, who will only deal with our members and... "

At some point, you'll realize you're going to be late for the trial... most benefits are typical or minor. It's a fairly standard, if informal guild.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods, and cuts Wyllt off before he goes too far. "So, there are the issues - you can't afford to subsidize training yourself, and a system of individual apprenticeships doesn't lend itself well to scaling anyway - if a single apprentice has to pay for the entire time lost to training, even a system of loans to promising potentials won't really accomplish much; it'd take too long to pay off afterwards..." Alys pauses, and looks at Asai, clearly expecting her to pick up on where that thought was headed.
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"Potentially a good system for managing available resources, but not for preparing or procuring them. The city has simply outgrown your ad hoc system of training." Asai fixes Wyllt with a piercing stare - it is similar to Alys' but less 'I need a better stick' and more 'This might be a useful special purpose stick... if I prune and rebuild it...'. "I'm more familiar with the running of a university than the building, so I'll need to do a bit of research before I get things started, but I may be interested in contracting some of your mages as instructors in the future. Once immediate short-term concerns are taken care of, I may also ask you for a list of mages who would be interested in learning more advanced teaching techniques that would enable them to manage more students with greater efficiency."

((Asai's not bothering to fill in the details for the uneducated anymore so what's leaking out is just the surface details.))
(( ((Wyvern thought it would be amusing to add that as an OOC comment so here 'tis.)) ))
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods decisively. "That should take care of the need for a second tier of response to psychic or magical threats; thank you, Asai." She stands, and smiles* at Wyllt, adding, "I'll be back tomorrow to take a look at prototype detectors, then; I'm afraid for now we need to head back to the castle for further matters of state."

She'll wait a moment to make sure Wyllt has a chance to reply or bring up anything else he thinks is important, before actually departing.**

Once actually out of the mage guild, Alys comments, "Well, that could have gone better... but it could also have gone much worse. Before we discuss that, though..." she turns to Nathaniel, "You are free to go, but I would offer two pieces of advice before you do."
"First, do try to be a bit more aware of your environment - for example, I'm reasonably certain you didn't even notice that Osmund was preparing to attack you, had I let you challenge me the other day."
"And second... put a bit of thought into where you want to be, and how to get there. I can't fault wanting to help your family, but would point out that the path you've chosen so far, is not the only way to achieve that goal. I'm not certain I could recommend accepting Lady Eretria's offer, but anything short of that should be within your reach... given sufficient time and effort."

_____
* It's not exactly a friendly smile... but not exactly an unfriendly one, either.
** If Wyllt's reaction requires further response, either from Alys or Asai, I can edit this post to stop here.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Wyllt will look slightly exasperated, but beyond that, will agree and not press the issue.

Nate will agree. He's had a busy few days... He will request to attend the Ht'Gon festivities tonight, but will state he lacks an invitation.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Well... The offer of training I made yesterday will require a fair amount of logistical effort to bring about - Priscilla volunteered to arrange for uniforms, but that still leaves acquiring training - and real - weaponry in sufficient numbers, arranging for meals, medical supplies, and so on. And, of course, whoever was in charge of all that would be expected to attend at least the festivities at Ht'gon, if not those at Tir-na Nog'th as well."

Alys pauses a moment, to see if Nathaniel will jump at the opportunity... or take a more thoughtful approach, asking about what the exact responsibilities would be.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Nathaniel will nod. "I would like to offer that. How big an army are you interested in? From what I've seen, it will be too large to directly service, but we could setup routes and supply lines. Trainers would be more difficult, but I suppose once the logistics are in place, there will be jobs and there are plenty who would love to be big fish again."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys will sketch out a few of the basic details, rattle off a handful of names of people Nathaniel would be reporting to, and send him on his way. Essentially, she's putting him in charge of acquiring stuff, not necessarily people, with a job description that includes "figure out if the needed stuff can be reasonably acquired, and if not, work out some alternative that can be reasonably acquired, or if necessary, make judgement calls on what's actually needed versus what would simply be nice to have. Oh, and think about what you're doing and, if there's some needed stuff that nobody has thought to ask for, make sure it's available too."

"Now that that's taken care of..." Alys turns back to Tim and Asai. "What did you think of Wyllt and his guild? I had a few people I was thinking of sponsoring for mage guild training... but it sounds like I'd be better off waiting for your university to get up and running."