07.08b School Field Trip

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

07.08b School Field Trip

Post by misfit »

The trump card quite ungraciously drops everyone upside down. Ready for it this time, Nuall manages to roll into a graceful landing. Looking around the group sees this. (Well okay, the people are dressed in more traditional European renaissance clothing and there are no power lines in the distance).

"There is a stone quarry about two miles down the road. I believe that would be a safe enough area for whatever you have in mind. Shall we?"

Unless something untoward happens (like Odin suddenly trying to kill Nuall and/or Asai) Nuall will guide them down the road and to a stone quarry. He will order the workers out of the area temporarily. When the area is clear he will turn to Odin, "Whenever you are ready to proceed."
Veyska
Lunatic

Re: 07.08b School Field Trip

Post by Veyska »

((Wyvern linked a shiny picture gallery at me today. It's his fault!))

The drop is short enough ((at least I assume so)) that Asai can't quite twist around for a perfect landing, but despite the unexpected reversal of "up" she still manages to land in an untidy crouch on all four feet. She quickly tidies up said crouch, and then rises into a more normal quadrupedal stance as her senses rapidly catch up to the physical translocation. As she follows Nuall's lead she's clearly examining this new world, ears flicking to and fro and nose lifted into the wind.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin walks along, and looks at the scenery. "Reminds me a little of home... but..." He'll gesture at the sun... "The single light source is a little unnerving. Also... this uses a lot of energy. Hopefully there will be time for food later."

Asai will get some odd looks from passerbys, but no one seems willing to bring the issue up. Most seem to assume she's a pet of the noble walking with you and give a wide berth. (Very few of them have likely seen any kind of monkey, although they're not unheard of, so the automatic response isn't 'demon'.)
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

You're right, I should have included more details. The area is basically like central Europe in the medieval/early renaissance period. The terrain is rolling hills. You can see the peasants working the fields and vineyards. The roads (at least this close to town) are cobblestone. Most of the traffic (and there isn't much) is on foot, but the occasional cart or wagon full of goods pulled by horses pass.

Since Odin brought up the subject of food, Nuall will ask Asai if she wants any as well. When they are at the quarry he will pull one of the workers aside. "My good man, would you so good and fetch some food for my companions and myself?" He will pass along any specific requests and give the workers some coins.

The worker will glance at the coins and a look of shock will cross his face, to be replaced by nervousness bordering closely on fear. "My apologies My Lord, but you seem to have given me more than will be needed."

"That is quite alright my good man. You may keep the excess for yourself."

"Why thank you My Lord..." he pauses and gives Nuall a good once-over, "Nuall?"

Nuall gives his first real smile in several hours. "Indeed my good man. I see that my reputation proceeds me... as always. Now off you go...it would not do to keep my companions waiting."

"Aye My Lord". He bows deeply and dashes off.

Nuall turns to Asai and Odin. "He should return shortly. What shall we do to pass the time until then?"
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"Speculate on how much of a tip would cause him to pass out, upon his return?" Asai quips, although a faint ghost of some less frivolous emotion flickers in the back of her eyes. "Beyond that, I believe the prey is in Odin's territory at this point."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"So... shapeshifting..." Odin will start, "The big thing is that at the basic levels we have to observe conservation of mass. we don't get larger or smaller, just our body changes. So, we can heal, or similar. We can use it to respond to basic attacks or other situations or throw ourselves on the mercy of our shapeshifting in extreme cases. None of that is particularly fun to demonstrate."

He will continue, "We do have three typical forms. Human or normal... An avatar form... and a combat or Chaos form. I'm not sure if the chaos one would be apreciated here... but..."

His form will shift, bones and body reconfiguring itself. Clothing falls to the ground and he shifts slowly into a medium sized black horse. After about a minute he will add, "Talking in these forms is also possible..."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"So, if I am to understand correctly, this...shapeshifting is a thing of Chaos? Can everyone in your Clans do this? And the water form that your 'handler' assumed...would that be considered to be a 'chaos' form?"

Nuall pauses for a moment...clearly thinking carefully. "And are there always three forms? Is there ever someone with only two?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"well, three is the natural state of a basic initiate. And yes, it is from chaos, and everyone where I am from can do it. Your level of skill shows what you are and is a mark of your clan." He tilts his horse-head. "Oag's form was a little more advanced, I'll get to that. As for those with two forms, it might be a different ability, or someone who has yet to understand their abilities."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall looks down at his hands, flexing them several times. "...someone who has yet to understand their abilities. That reminds me of something said about me. No offense My Lord, but that is an ability I would rather not have. I prefer to be as I am. No doubt it has advantages, but even so..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will nod, and shift back to his human form. "The second level, what we would refer to as being a skilled shifter opens up other aspects. The blood trick you saw me do earlier... the ability to change our aura and even personality... A form of method acting, if you will. What Oag did is perhaps our strongest aspect, the ability to assume the form of creatures of power. That's the only way we can travel through shadow." He will pat your back, "We can.... uh.. with mental contact, force changes on others... but that's a lot harder than it sounds."

He will look around and add, "I have developed a personal trick of detecting other shapeshifters by touch... we respond differently when you try to force a change, even if you're nowhere near able to do so."