07.08a: Draconic Affairs

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

07.08a: Draconic Affairs

Post by Wyvern »

Kizak's home, as it turns out, is located several miles away from Rebma, in an anchialine cave along the coast - most easily accessed (especially when hauling twenty-odd feet of unconscious but neutrally-bouyant dragon) via an underwater passage that stays well below low tide level.

The cave itself is a large, multi-level affair - technically a single room, but with numerous shelves of rock at various levels, many well above the high tide mark. A small stream babbles down from one corner, its source sparkling with the few faint rays of morning sunlight that managed to follow the stream's path underground. The only other illumination comes from several strings of enchanted pearls, glowing a gentle blue-green - but they are also faint; human eyes would have a hard time coping with the darkness. Of course, neither of the cave's current occupants are human.

Kizak wakes up first - Alys is a light sleeper, but used to battle situations, where you take whatever rest you can get and only bother waking up if the situation calls for it. Besides, she's curious how Kizak will react.

That question is answered when Kizak notices her and attempts to scream - but he's still underwater (Alys left him there deliberately to put less strain on his lungs and allow for faster healing), so all that comes out is a tiny "blub" noise, mostly from bubbles hitting the surface. Panic quickly leads to terror, leads to resignation, leads to discovering that Alys had arranged for delivery of breakfast - in clearly sufficient quantities to feed the both of them.
Last edited by Wyvern on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.08a: Draconic Affairs

Post by Wyvern »

A few minutes later, as Kizak is preparing said breakfast, Alys decides it's time to "wake up" (read: make it clear that she's awake). She yawns, and stretches, and peers quizzically down at Kizak from her perch atop one of the highest (and dryest) of the stone shelves in the room.

Kizak opens his mouth. Pauses. Attempts again... pauses. "Uh... did we...?"

"You were unconscious. That doesn't work." Alys' tone is sarcastic - but it's a cheerful sarcasm; she's clearly in a much better mood than she was at the end of the ball. "You may also note that you aren't dead - though I would still appreciate an explanation."

"Uh..." Kizak thinks a bit, choosing his words carefully. "Someone as young as you seem... being that good at shapeshifting... would have to be accomplished through the taking of dragon flesh. It... sort of boosts our abilites beyond what's normal."

Alys makes a disgusted face. "Oh. ...Well, that makes me feel a little better about not anticipating your reaction; such a thing simply wouldn't have worked where I come from. Probably doesn't work here, either, unless... Hm. I suppose it might be a function of your shapeshifting ability instead of local magic?" Alys shakes her head. "I may have to ask Quin about that."

"Not sure if it's an eatee or an eater ability; we don't really know why it works. The council tries to keep it illegal, but... willing ones dead body to ones children is not uncommon..."

"A reasonable use of such an ability. And cause enough to at least consider solutions other than just permanently preventing it from functioning."

"What?" Kizak asks. After a few moments, when it seems no answer is forthecoming, he goes on, "A hunter is someone who does it illegally, and a warden is one who enforces when it's allowed. And sometimes kills people for being too healthy... but... that's a fairly reasonable guess..."
Last edited by Wyvern on Thu Feb 14, 2013 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods. "An interesting conundrum; I may look into resolving it later. For now, I have enough responsibilities as is. Still. Whether it's possible or not." Her tone goes hard, "If I find anyone even attempting such a crime here, I will - barring, I don't know, Dworkin randomly pardoning them or something - see to it that they die slowly and painfully. This I swear, by blood and fire." Her tone returns to normal, "I suppose that makes me a 'warden' by your terms." She shrugs. "Not that I really need more titles."

"Apparently, you go to enough places you pick up a lot of them." Kizak nods, clearly a little relieved. "I really... your mannerisms just screamed dragon..."

"Interesting. I may have to fix that, too... or at least learn how to. Almost a pity about that thief; I was having fun seeing who cared enough to ask."

"I hope I didn't ruin my chances of joining a court... I'm... I never thought much about it until recently. It seems like a plan."

"Ruin?" Alys laughs. "I won't claim you couldn't have handled that better - mostly by not panicking - but, you still came out of it on reasonably friendly terms with Solten - he asked me not to kill you, you know. And with the Queen of Rebma owing you an apology. And... I can think of several things you could do for me..." Her expression and tone leaves little doubt as to what at least one of those things is - but then she sighs and shakes her head.
"But probably not right now. No offense, but I get the impression your current mental state is one where you'd consider my merest suggestion as having the force of a command - and that's simply not what I'm looking for."

Kizak blushes as he realizes what Alys was talking about. "I would like that... once I've gotten settled, to revisit..." the blush deepens.
"I'm not used to talking to someone who can execute me with a word. That is like a warden, I guess... it'll take a while to understand that you won't."

"I don't think any of, at least the current royalty, are likely to abuse that," Alys replies. "For myself... well, I won't hesitate to kill when it needs doing - as you saw - but... I have enough blood on my claws already; I won't add to that for trivialities. And besides," Alys shakes her head again, "I've seen what happens to those who rule through fear. Someone willing to tell me an unpleasant truth, or when they think I'm... overlooking something, is far more valuable than someone who merely shows instant obediance. Especially given my, as you point out, relative youth; there's simply too much I haven't had the opportunity to learn. Like sorcery - even just a better understanding of it would have helped last night."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: AS you might guess, this was originally a chat transcript. Most players are on AIM although some are on Yahoo. for one on one stuff, it helps a LOT.)

"I'm not sure what that was would be called sorcery. But I can try to help a little." He looks at Alys. "Shame to hide your form, but I understand the utility. I should probably head out to my meeting with the fishermen's guild in a bit... I'm sorry about causing a scene last night."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

(OOC: Since we both seem to have forgotten about breakfast, I'm just going to assume that it was being devoured during the above conversation and is now more or less done with.)

Alys smiles, and reaches out to rest her claws on the back of Kizak's hand. "That would certainly be appreciated." (Context: Kizak offering to try to teach Alys sorcery.)

"And I'll probably use this form again for the festivities this evening; but," and her form blurs back to nearly-human (with just her cat-like eyes hinting that that's not quite accurate), "The next few things I need to attend to will benefit from rather more discretion."

Alys sets about re-attaching various weaponry that she'd shed before sleeping.
"Apology accepted - now that I know the context, your reactions were entirely understandable. Though you may wish to offer both apology and explanation to Sadie and Solten; given that Sadie also owes you an apology, I expect that scene to, at worst, be merely awkward all around."

"Anyway," Alys finishes by pulling on the clawed gloves she'd worn to the ball, "I do hope you'll choose to accept my invitation." She concentrates for a few moments - plenty of time for Kizak to reply - before trumping out to the docks.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Thank you... I'll speak to them. If they're up at this point. Last night seemed fairly insane." Kizak will dip his nose. "See you tonight..."

------------

The docks are bright and cheerful. There's a small contingent of guards at the dock... one of them, from the swashbuckler group that Renny found, greets you. "Hello again Alys. We're just making sure that this area is kept clear for a bit. Can I assist you to a destination?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Certainly," Alys starts walking off the dock. "I will need to visit a clothier; find something... less conspicuous." (Renny's Cadets should be perfectly capable of properly reading that as "I need a disguise that won't scream 'Hello, I am a noble'".)

Before she gets very far, however, there's suddenly a very happy dog there; Alys pauses to go through the whole good boy routine with Tinder. When she starts moving again, she says, "Change of plans. Where would be a good place to minimize collateral damage from a fight? I hope it won't come to that, but I have a few questions to ask Osmund, and... he seems a little crazy; I don't want to risk anyone getting hurt."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Uh... The forrest or here or a field outside of town..." She (let's go with she) looks a little uncomfortable. "But, I'm not sure if such a thing would be an issue... Uh... would you like me to relay a message? I think he's still sleeping after last night."

This is accompanied by the now-familiar pressure of a trump contact.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods. "Later, then; no great rush on that - you can tell him I've got a couple of questions to ask about Odin, at least one of which I won't be surprised if he reacts poorly to."

Then she sighs, and holds up a hand as she stops again. "...interruptions..." And accepts the trump call.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

It is Morgana, "Not to cause an issue, but I figured I'd give you a little warning before you arrived... Let me see if I can send an image..." She concentrates and give an image of a dragon bard. "He showed up early this morning... Just didn't want you to be surprised... after last night..."
(OOC: Since this is psychic communication, it is nothing but nuance, so... Morgana is a little unsure about what happened last night, and figures that keeping you informed will help prevent oddities like that from reoccurring.)