07.07d: Dworkin's Out of the Way Nook

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.07d: Dworkin's Out of the Way Nook

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: Several people want to find and ask Dworkin Questions. So, here you are. One at a time, and assume the conversations happen whenever your character actually get's a chance to head over. If you want to get in the queue, send me a pm.)

Dworkin slowly hobbles out of the ballroom. Behind the grand thrones on the central dais are several meeting chambers. He appropriates one and waits for people who want to chat. Since Solten was the first to ask, he should be the first to show up.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.07d: Dworkin's Out of the Way Nook

Post by coldcandor »

Solten walks into the nook and takes a seat, looking anxious, though not about meeting Dworkin finally. He quickly gets up again and paces for a moment. Then sits back down and looks straight at Dworkin and says, simply but with the edge of hidden emotion: "Who am I?"
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

He will raise an eyebrow. "Not one for subtlety I see. That's different." He will draw forth your trump from his deck and place it on a nearby table. "I know what you were, what I found, and what I suspect happened to you before I found you and when you walked the pattern. None of which answer your question."

"Who do you want to be?"
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Solten eyes Dworkin like he should have known this was coming. "There's no time for subtlety when you know nothing." He stands up and paces again, beyond caring about showing emotion to this strange ruler. "I remember nothing before waking up in a broken landscape yesterday... or whatever time it was in that shadow, since I know now that's what it was. I want to be who I feel like I am right now. I want to be a good man that protects those he loves, and has people to love. I want to be who I think I am, rather than what it sounds like my past will make me out to be. I may only have a week's worth of memories, but I've already seen and heard things that make me wonder if I can escape who I was." He slumps back down in the chair, suddenly exhausted. "What have you brought me into Dworkin? What have you brought me from?"
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"The patten could restore your memory up to when you walked it. But that's unlikely to be more than a few minutes of time. The good news is the you that walked the pattern now has its backing. That makes a complete reversion unlikely. Still, You asked where I took you from. That I can answer."

He waits until you blink, and suddenly you're 'gently' slammed into the wall by a 10 foot tall chitinous demon-thing. The voice is very similar to Dworkin's. "You must understand, when these abilities are taxed beyond their limit, the body breaks down. Each cell becomes it's own miniature shapeshifting creature. Thought, memory, all are impossible." The next moment you close your eyes (even to blink, or to center your efforts at resisting) the pressure is gone along with the demon and Dworkin sits there once again.

"There are not many ways to bring someone back from that. I made an educated guess."
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Solten staggers a step from the wall as the pressure is released, his eyes snap open and look around. "What... the hell just happened? Did I become something like that, in the end? And you're saying that my memory is completely unrecoverable?" The adrenaline of the moment passed, he sits back down. "What made you think someone that became such a thing would even be worth... recovering?"
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Dworkin smiles, a very wry smirk. "Oh no. That was controlled. Erdrich horrors where sentience is but a distant concept. Forms that are not forms but more the abstract appreciation of a form. That is what you recovered from."

"It makes that look commonplace, and in some places it is." He nonchalantly takes a sip of tea. "How you got there, may be something worthwhile, but I only have a few guesses."
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"I... it seems I owe you a debt of gratitude then, if all you say is true. Forgive me for not being able to quite believe I could have come back from such a state." He definitely seems shaken, though. "So many questions. How could you make something with no form walk the pattern? What made you think it was worth that, instead of just destroying the abomination? How long does it takes for that transformation to happen? Will it happen again? What could have happened in life to not fight against it? Did I try and fail to fight it, or did I enjoy it?

"I don't even want to think of that person as me. I'm a new person now, thanks to you, regardless whether everything you describe is true." Takes a deep breath and recovers his equilibrium. "So. It seems you have a purpose for each person that's brought here. What is mine? What do I do with this new life?"
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I wonder. Still, it happens not when you tax your abilities, but when you overtax them. It won't happen unless you're lost, hungry and desperate, and even then, that might just start the issue. I suspect whatever caused it was a lot worse." He smiles. "The why? perhaps an experiment. I saw someone as skilled as I am, and I thought I could help where others might fail."

"As for purpose?" He offers, "You find that, don't you? You found one. Will it evolve? Will it be enough? Will you grow bored? Can it truly be a new life?"

"Only you can answer these. They are within you, and I suspect they are different than they were for me."

After a short delay, he will add/mention, "You choose the last ditch hope rather than the shapeless form. As much as you could choose anything at that point. I wouldn't think too much of it, it was under duress."
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"Have I? ...I guess I have, haven't I." More confidently: "I have."

He thinks for a moment. "Does this mean I should shift courts? Not that I even know for sure which court I'm currently expected to be part of, but it's been hinted that my trump places me in Amber court. With Sadie intended to rule Rebma... Sorry, I have no idea what that would mean for court politics. My experience is... somewhat lacking in anything not instinctual."

(OOC: I found it amusing to make a statement almost entirely out of "have" and "I", so hush.)
Solten