07.05i: In Search of a Suit

The goings on of courts
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.05i: In Search of a Suit

Post by coldcandor »

"From what I've heard of this Dworkin character, it could well be a bad joke. Or it could be directly tied to things I don't remember. There's more of that than I like to admit..." he trails off. "Your turn. Mind if I ask what past you are leaving behind? Perhaps it has to do with why you make me think of a seal, something about the smell..."
Solten
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"That is a story I have already relived once this day and one of great pain. Ask Sadie and tell her she has my permission to tell it, and I promise you your answers. Though perhaps continuing where she left off would be a fair exchange? Though I'll be giving you a bit more than you've given me, so I'll be expecting a bit more from your end when done? Sound fair enough? As for the seal smell, I am a selkie, will include a brief explanation in my story."

While this conversation is occurring there are brief outfit changes and alterations taking place with the occasional comment on the worth of an alteration.
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"You're a sly one. I wasn't intending a full history, especially since I don't have much I can tell. But I want to know who I'm trusting to care for Sadie, so I'll promise you this: I'll tell you something I've not yet told anyone in Amber. Fair?" He turns to her with a suddenly serious look.
Solten
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Turns serious as well. "I accept. Now where to begin... I suppose with a bit of overlap, yes, I suppose it's necessary. After my escape from my captor I put on my seal skin and returned to my home at sea. As I said earlier, I'm a selkie. My people are born seals, at the age of puberty we learn to shed our skins and walk amongst men. We can return to sea by re-donning our skins at any time."

"I had... a rather traumatic experience with my time on land, so I returned to sea with a fury. I swore never to return to the lands of men. I lived as a seal, I ate fish, penguins, and played in the water, when I started to feel I swam as fast as I could to escape the thoughts inside my head, the pain that would not end."

"This worked for a time... In fact soon I found myself really beginning to forget, almost as if it had never happened. Occasionally I'd see a ship, and I'd remember for but a moment and I'd swim further and further away. The more I did the more I lost and the more I became simply a seal. Our education system is terrible. Apparently if we don't land walk we eventually lose the ability and become simply what we started as, seals. I wasn't just forgetting the bad, I was losing myself entirely, forgetting everything, becoming simply an animal." As she goes through this part of the story she is clearly getting worked up.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"It's ok, all that's behind you now. I think I can relate more than you'd expect. Please, continue."
Solten
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Priscilla wipes her eyes slightly: "Way too much emotion in one day. I'm sorry. Eventually I don't know how but I ended up back at the port it all started at, everything came rushing back, it was like a nightmare. An old acquaintance of mine saw me and this time I wasn't allowed to run off, I was somewhere between seal and person. I couldn't think straight."

"They gathered some others, overpowered me, dragged me to land and refused to let me go until I listened. Finally barely before it was too late, I was given my education, and once I demonstrated I understood they let me go to decide. Tasil the eastern sea tribe shaman cast a spell to give me clarity that night so I had one night to decide whether to remain forever a seal or rise above my pain and join my kind once again refreshed and renewed as a full selkie once more." At this point you'll notice she seems to have forgotten she was even designing you a suit.

"It was a very long night spent on the beach alone. Well until I saw another young selkie girl taking her first walk and making a classic mistake, wandering to town without even attempting to hide her skin, too fascinated to think straight."

Sighs a little. "Made me remember my mistake a very similar one. I also saw something else... a young man, I think he saw the whole thing and was heading towards the skin. All I could think of was all the things that might happen to that girl if he took the skin... all the things that happened to me..." (she's looking angry now losing all her feminine composure a very angry feral look over taking her as she continues, one I think you know well) "I stripped my skin grabbed a rock, and like a beast I charged and bashed the kids skull in... He screamed when I started and I screamed back, I just couldn't stop... I didn't even notice or hear all the other humans coming out until the selkie girl grabbed my arm and with terror in her eyes begged me stop and told me we had to go... The sight before me was terrible the blood on my hands... We donned our skins and disappeared to sea..."

Breathes heavily... "I've told you enough, I think I've earned more of your story." Is shaking now having lost all composure... "I really didn't expect to tell you that part... I'm really not a monster I was young, emotional... You know my dark secret, only one other person in Amber ever knew that story about what I did... You now know something no one else in Amber currently knows... Is a fair trade." Looking you directly in the eyes, jaw clenched, eyes literally pure black not a single bit of white showing.
Last edited by Sadie on Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Solten's face does not show any fear or rage or distrust. Instead, there's compassion and a bit of surprise. He holds her gaze. "Wow, I did not see that coming. I don't yet understand why the skin was so important, but if your reaction is anything to go by, it can have horrible consequences. You've been through a lot, I'm happy you were eventually able to get a fresh start here in Amber."

"OK. I made a promise. First something that I've hidden from all but Sadie, I am also a shapeshifter. But that in and of itself is not much. My shifting did not come from the Pattern, however, it came from pure chaos. Before I came here, that chaos overwhelmed me and I lost myself. I have yet to remember any of it, but that is what I can make out from the pieces. If Dworkin's trump is anything to go by, things got bad." He stops there and takes a deep breath. "It may not seem like much, but this is what I have to give."

"If anything, you've proven so far that you are someone that cares about others very much. I hope we can all remain true to that ideal."

"Now," he says, regaining a grin. "I still appear to be naked. Shall we fix that?"
Last edited by coldcandor on Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solten
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"Um, yes... sorry... distracted..." turns back to her work. "Are you prepared for the truth? Of how horrible it might be? Are you prepared to find out you're someone else? Are you prepared to find out things you've done, thing's you're capable of?" Turns to you. "Are you prepared for if and when Sadie with all her convictions and idealism finds out who you really are, when and if she has to make the decision of whether she can love all of you or turn away? Are you prepared to awaken one day and find you've hurt her horribly? I need to know that you know what you are doing? How much have you thought your relationship through?" Looks a little frustrated.

"I'm sorry to get so heavy on you all of a sudden, but do you realize how important you both are? Are you aware of how every little thing you do can affect everybody? If you don't really know who you are, is this relationship really such a good idea for you? For her? For us the people? I find I believe you, I believe you really care, I just... don't know who you are, and what's scaring me most is, you don't either. I've been there, I've lost myself, but I remember, I know what I did, and what all the horrible consequences are, it sparked the war that slaughtered my people, that boy was the prince! I know that, I deal with it, everyday I am reminded what that one loss of control cost me."

"But you don't know what you did or the consequences, why is that? And if you don't know how can you really move on and learn? If you don't know why or how you did what you did, how can you know how to stop it from happening again? How can you be confident of anything? And if you really are a new you, and this is a new beginning, you should be an Ace. Ace is change, a five of swords is a five of swords. What does that mean? Please find that out..." is almost pleading.

"I don't want to see my lady hurt, I know a good pure idealist with conviction when I see one, and I don't want to see that lost because of an infatuation. Promise me you'll be careful, and promise me you'll find out, because until you do, no one not even you knows who you are or what you are truly capable of. Nothing can change a person more drastically than matters of the heart and Sadie's is far larger than most. If you treasure her, you treasure that." She now prepares for your reaction to her outburst, be it anger, fury, her death, or acceptance, understanding, confusion, whatever.

*Of Note, the suit is being put together through random hand waves and clothing changes on the version of you in the mirror. The real you is still nice and nude even while she works.
Last edited by Sadie on Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Solten watches her throughout this combination diatribe and plee. A moment of horror crosses his face when she mentions the prince, and all the implications that has flit through his mind, but is quickly smoothed out. This woman has been through hell. He may not know or understand it all yet, but it's plainly obvious.

When she finishes, Solten slowly reaches his hands out and lightly places them on each shoulder. When he's sure she's not going to flinch away, he moves them to the side of her face and locks gazes with her. In a deep, meaningful tone, he says: "Listen. I may not know what I was before, but I know what I am now. I don't know how what happened between Sadie and I happened, but it did, and I think both of us are the better for it. Whatever this chaos is inside me, that is actually part of my connection to her. So, trust me, I *will* find out what my past holds, and I *will* protect her. From myself, if it comes to that." He pauses and takes a slow breath, then continues in a softer tone.

"Consequences. Oberon showed me exactly what it means to be an Amberite. Already I have experienced what can happen when someone, " his eyes flick in the direction of the bath, "sets their heart on something, and the unexpected results that can bring. Some are pleasant and some... well, I'm sure you noticed the way she looked when she came here."

He releases her and stands tall. His eyes wander the room for a moment. "It's hard to imagine that, Amber time, it's only been a single day since I appeared in the middle of a broken landscape and found my way here. Already things are happening so quickly. But tonight... tonight is a chance to celebrate beauty." He looks again into her eyes. "I find I am glad to have met you, Prescilla, aide to the Lady Sadie. Know that I will protect you too, if I can. I can't yet tell you all my secrets, but in time perhaps we can reach that point. I've grown to trust Sadie implicitly, even in such a short time, and I hope she and you can do the same with me, in time. I hope that, in time, I can fully trust myself."
Solten
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Priscilla stands there a bit shaken. Apparently this has all been really draining on her emotionally. She breathes a heavy sigh, looks to the mirror trying to focus on something else, "How odd... You're suit design is finished... I don't remember finishing it, but that is clearly the one... I should have it ready in a couple hours... You can come claim it then. Shouldn't be too late I don't think..."

Turns back to Solten. "I... I don't know why I shared all I did... but I did... And... and I hope you're right about yourself, for Sadie's sake and all our sakes. The five of swords is a really bad omen and I hope you prove it wrong. I... I will try to trust you... As for her, I'm sure she trusts you with all her heart, and that's what worries me. You are something new, you aren't a master or a partner, you're a lover, and however long she's lived, this, THIS is something new. So know this, If you slip even for a second, if it buys her but a fraction of a moment, I am willing to die for her."

She looks off like she's seeing something in the distance. "You see, she brings me hope. Hope is is like the water gently descending upon the mountains of despair. It's effects may not seem drastic, but given enough time, the rains of hope will devour the tallest mountain til it is little more than the hills of ants easily crushed underfoot." She then turns to look into Solten's eyes one more time. "But also like water, go too long without hope and even the strongest person will die as the deserts of dismay consume them and they become naught but dust on the wind."

She then smiles a bit. "Look me so doomy and gloomy, this is as you said a day of celebration. We have gowns, we have suits and soon we have dancing and festivities, and this time I'm actually invited. I get to actually go to the ball!" Forces out a squee. "I'm actually really and truly going to a ball, and not a minor one either! My days of being parched are hopefully over once more and I can drink deeply and play and splash and dive like any good selkie should." Her smile becomes sincere once more at this thought and her eyes finally fade back to normal. "These may be good days indeed."