Kataria / Catlynn

Random brainstorming for a superhero RPG

Moderator: Joshua

Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Kataria / Catlynn

Post by Wyvern »

Attempting to adapt a character I've played in City of Heroes and Champions Online.

Initial comic run:
Originally named "Kataria", she was a humanoid creature with glowing green eyes, oversized clawed feet, and a short vaguely lizard-shaped tail; she mostly kept her skin covered (and always wore a gas mask when out heroing, having discovered early on that criminals tended to hide in sewers and that most sewers stank), but every now and then some bit of damage to her outfit revealed black skin with only an occasional patch of scales.
Original Character Description wrote:Adopted by a pair of dimensional researchers who found her - apparently abandoned - on a distant and ruined alternate Earth, Kataria grew up under the quiet assumption that at some point she'd develop fantastical powers and take up a job as hero. Which is more or less what she's done.

...Well, aside from the whole "develop fantastical powers" part; she's had to substitute hard work and harder training for the powers so many other heroes seem to gain from even the most trivial of mishaps. But no, she's not bitter; that's clearly not growling you hear whenever someone else talks about how they, say, got superhuman strength from being bitten by a radioactive hamster. Just the wind. Really. Not bitter at all...
She fought crime using a pair of clawed gauntlets that she somehow (exactly how was never explained) didn't actually kill anyone with; her second most iconic gadget was a null gravity belt (provided by her adoptive parents) that allowed her to leap remarkable distances (yes, over tall buildings with a single bound) and to balance on surfaces that wouldn't naturally support her weight (telephone wires, water, that sort of thing). A variety of other super-tech devices featured in an issue or two, but nothing else actually got used with any regularity.

Towards the end of her original run, she started to develop fire projection and manipulation abilities - though they never amounted to very much and this did little to assuage her annoyance at those who seemed to just luck into all the power they needed to be a hero.

Reboot:
Kataria's origin story was retconned onto a "sexier"* heroine, a humanoid tiger dubbed Catlynn (Kate to her friends, or Cat if you really wanted to annoy her). Originally a "being of great psy-cat powers" - colored a pale blue to match her left eye (her right eye is green), the retcon left her with an engineering degree and a suit of relatively form-fitting self-made power armor with a focus on force field generation and projection; the color of the effects remained a pale blue, however.

_____
* I blame executive meddling, here! The actual reason is just that I couldn't replicate Kataria's original look in Champions Online, but really liked the origin story. So I attached it to my one obligatory cat-girl character after deciding I wasn't happy with the way the psychic power set played.
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: Kataria / Catlynn

Post by Joshua »

I suggested that this character is a great sort of Superman/heavy hitter. Thus needs a Batman partner.

Jangseung
Sidekick / partner?

While it's debatable if this character he her own series before this appearance or not, the goal was to add a counterpart to Kataria's "all people who have powers are jerks"... this met with semi-mixed results. Jang / Guardian (real name not revealed in the initial few appearances, although she is asian) is an unlicensed private investigator. She has "lots and lots of totems" and spirit animals that can grant her all kinds of minor powers and skills. While Kataria had to learn her powers the heard way and is a very heavy hitter, Jang is given all her abilities when she asks for them and relies heavily on them in both her PI life and as a superhero.

Some totems she has called upon:
  • Bloodhound: For tracking by scent.
  • Kangaroo: For jumping.
  • Flamingo: For dancing. (Seriously, she uses her powers for EVERYTHING.)
  • Monkey: To figure out complex machines.
  • Eagle: for marksmanship.
  • Badger: To resist poison.
None of her totems are very powerful, but they have almost as much utility as a belt of unlimited and undefined gadgets.