07.14g: To Onsen And Beyond!

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.14g: To Onsen And Beyond!

Post by Wyvern »

With everyone changed, Jing leads people to one of the upper tiers of the public baths - it's not a private bath, but it's also at least a bit out of the way... and has an excellent view of the room (and the room's entrances); to anyone with warfare, this is clearly the best spot to be paranoid from if you're inclined to being paranoid.

Alys settles into the water, towel folded and set behind her head as a sort of a pillow, and relaxes... or tries to; those with ranked psyche may note she's not entirely at ease.

After a bit, the bottle she sent for arrives, and Jing pours out a set of glasses, offering one to each person in turn - Jaeger, then Quin, then Lyra, and Alys takes the last one, sipping a bit while she listens to Quin and then Lyra offer explanations.

After a moment she asks Jaeger, "Have you ever practiced at wrestling?"*

_____
* Clearly she's going somewhere with this question. Probably related to the above explanations, though exactly how may not be immediately obvious.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin doesn't disrobe and will settle into the spring with the group. He seems annoyed but is keeping it under control as Jaeger is having a really bad day. (Previous 'annoyed' reference here.)
BringMeThatHorizon
Needs a Guide

Post by BringMeThatHorizon »

Jaeger is strangely silent as he takes in the explanation. He sips a few times from the drink offered to him, a nod given in thanks as he takes in all the words spoken to him. There's a heaviness to his expression that grows the longer the conversation continues. It begs a great many questions to mind, this talk of multiple worlds, realness as some kind of measure of the power of a world or something, and his existence after walking the pattern. It was...worrying, to say the least. The male nodded in response to both questions, taking a moment to point to each one and explain some of the relevance.

"Combat style," the blades on his abs. "Guild name and rank, then a recognition for talent in stealth tactics and maneuvering," the crow's wing on his right breast, then the shadowed heart over his right bicep. "Among other things, they're sort of a career record." He explains them each briefly with a sort of ponderousness in his tone. Even as he's trying to talk, one could tell his mind is racing as it tries to compartmentalize the scope of everything that's just been relayed to him. He goes on for a few minutes, explaining but never quite elaborating fully on what the designs mean. Eventually, he stops the explanation and looks back at the dumpy guy in a clown suit who, for his own part, did try to offer some version of help.

"Alright, I think I can understand some of this now. But it raises a lot of questions above my pay grade about the nature of existence and multiple worlds and this whole 'Amber is realer than every other world out there' thing. As someone who, before today, lived in a world that seemed perfectly real in every way that word is defined- it's a little discomforting to think that before today I was 'less' real. It raises some concerns to the less philosophically bent, like myself." Another drink, this one a bit longer than previous sips. He's realizing that given how strong he can tell this alcohol is, he should probably have been blackout drunk by about the third or fourth sip. So, another part of this whole pattern thing is that he's got more endurance and constitution now? He grins, thinking the situation like a gift that keeps on giving- for better or worse.

"What I meant to say among all that is, 'dismissing your explanation was rude, and I'm sorry' but then I apparently can't just say that outright. Also," He turns back to Alys, shaking his head. "I tended to avoid things that involved going toe to toe with people, so no."
Last edited by BringMeThatHorizon on Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin will nod. "You're from-" He pauses trying to find a way to say 'Pathfinder' in a way that might make more sense, "a world with magic and planes of existence, right? Think of your* basic protection** spells. A summoned creature has great difficulty crossing the protection, because it's not real. It's created and powered by magic. But, such a spell also protects from outsiders, creatures from other Planes, because your world regards them as less innate to itself. On their home plane, you'd be the outsider. Amber, is above all that. Or at least, it acts as such, and the why is still being explored. The current belief is that it stems from that pattern you walked granting you some of it's power. Like a magic patron only it's- uh... well, there's a lot of debate on how active it is."

For those wondering, Quin's suit looks uncomfortable, but again, doesn't seem to actually get wet. Water seems to bead off immediately, or be absorbed and dry within a moment.
**: Protection from Evil/Good/etc.: Unfortunately, the hedging out outsiders was removed after 2nd edition... So, he is a little off here. There is a second level spell called Protection from Outsiders, so perhaps he's referring to how easy the spells are to cast...
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Ah. Understandable, I suppose - when wrestling, simple mass is a significant advantage. At normal skill levels, a two hundred pound person with even basic training will best an exceptional wrestler forty pounds lighter. So my attempt to explain is by analogy and vast oversimplification: being more 'Real' gives you a similar advantage in metaphysical mass - that applies to anything you do, rather than just close combat."
BringMeThatHorizon
Needs a Guide

Oh, no. Jaeger tries to keep up with Quin who, in a sharp turn from the previous abstractions, is being immensely specific and academic about his explanations. Thankfully Quin takes yet another turn and actually makes it easy to follow. Jaeger sighs in relief, then actually chuckles. "Oh, man. I thought you were gunna launch into a lecture on metaphysics way outta my pay grade, but that was all really simple to follow. Jeez, you look like a clown, but you are sharp."

At this point the male is, perhaps for the first time, actually smiling. It's a laid-back grin but much more genuine than his previous sardonic smirking or maniacal grin he had on earlier. The male takes another sip of his drink, finally seeming to relax completely rather than have looming anxieties. "So, we all now classify as 'outsiders with exemption status' or something. We've all been infused with whatever power the pattern has, and anything we could do before- we can now do much, much better. Add to that, we're all royals in this world that came first. Well, then." He seems to kick back a little, looking over at Alys and Lyra, then at Quin. He contemplates something for a bit, weighing the options before he speaks again.

"Both of you are probably more clever than you're letting on, so I should probably be more clear. I was, previous to all this, up for the first rank in a few other awards. Disguise," He clears his throat, the grin deepening to a near manic state as he speaks. "'Sleight of Hand', and Acrobatics. I was going to be appraised for skill in those areas, then if I passed the appraisal, I would be given the award. Another few marks of recognition on my record, so to speak."
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Oh, no," Alys comments, "Not all of us. There are other ways to come by a bit of 'metaphysical weight', and neither Quin nor myself have attuned to the Pattern. Though I will not be surprised if Dworkin decides to force the issue in my case; he has done so with a number of others."

"As for skill in disguise..." Alys raises one hand lazily out of the water, low enough that it still can't be seen by anyone beyond the current pool, and starts to run through a sequence of basic cosmetic shapeshifts on her hand and forearm - fading from black and burly to pale and delicate, then spreading rose 'tattoo' markings, thorns protruding to match the image then folding back down into red scales and claws, shifting towards fur in orange-and-black tiger-stripes, and so on and so forth. "...Unless your walk has significantly improved your shapeshifting,* I think you may find us a bit harder to impress than your former guild."

_____
* Her tone seems to imply that she thinks this is fairly likely.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

[+] Pre-emptive declaration of actions, should Jaeger decide that now is the time to experiment with shapeshifting.
Alys will reach out and grab the kitsune, her hand reverting to its original state. "No. Stop. You are already exhausted from walking the Pattern; experimenting with shapeshifting now will likely kill you. I - or, I expect, Quin or Lyra - can teach you later."
BringMeThatHorizon
Needs a Guide

As it so happens, Jaeger responded to Alys' comment almost immediately by trying to shift into her form- resulting in exactly that sequence of actions. The male stopped immediately once his hand was grabbed. His eyes narrowed and an amused scoff issued from his lips. Like he hadn't changed his form hundreds of times already, c'mon. He was a shapeshifter. How difficult could it possibly be when it was innate to his people? But, given how grave her advice was, he relented.

"Fine," He sighed, summoning a servant to get his pipe and pouches returned to him from the check. The male waited, giving Alys a slight side-eye as rested. "Have you dealt with many Kitsune before? We're natural shapeshifters, and if my abilities have only been heightened I doubt just trying out a few small things would kill me. We're pretty good at anything involving dexterity or guile, in fact. And when our kind learn not to be so caught up in honor and tradition, we make pretty damned good..." He pauses again, sighing. It's not that he's being coy at this point, it's that he's still unsure of the air. If he just up and admits 'hey, yeah, I'm a criminal and all that' there could be trouble. How much, he's not even remotely sure of- the laws of this place still sort of eluded him.

Eventually, his things were returned and the male- unsurprisingly- set out his pipe and filled it again. He moved away from the others, giving them a respectable amount of room this time before starting to smoke again. "When we get done with this tour, I wanna go someplace I can test out the full extent of my new abilities. Maybe if there's access to a training area of some kind I could knock out some practice and see how limber and agile I've become."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin will take a look at Jaeger. "IF* a kitsune is all you are, then your shapeshifting isn't likely to be an issue. IF* you're closer to Alys, then shifting when you're exhausted can lead to... Some major drawbacks. And no one in Amber knows how to deal with shifter-cancer. I've seen it once**. It wasn't nice. And the treatment only worked by a small miracle."