07.12a: Renaissance Reconnaissance

The goings on of courts
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

07.12a: Renaissance Reconnaissance

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder, Chance and Risk will arrive just down the street from the church. Spellbinder will give a good look before doing anything else.

"Well, doesn't look special from here, but I wasn't expecting a sign saying 'Temple of Doom' either. I want you two to wait for me out here. We're dealing with a psychic entity here. I've had experience with resisting that kind of stuff, but somehow I doubt you have. You'll be safer out here. Besides, I know they are supposed to have guards keeping an eye on things, but I want my own eyes watching my back thank you very much. Just listen. If things go bad in there I intend to be loud about it. I need you to make sure the guards notice. And, if we go out walking I want you two to shadow us. I know you can handle it, so I'll feel a lot safer knowing you're looking out for me."

Assuming they don't object too much, Spellbinder will make his way down the street and enter the church. Giving his eyes a few seconds to adjust he looks around...
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.12a: Renaissance Reconnaissance

Post by Joshua »

As Harrune described, the church itself is empty. It's a medium sized church, like one might expect in a frontier town. And it is empty. There are no pews, no seating, and the hardwood floors are bare except for a small alter that sits underneath a seven foot across seven-pointed star. The stained glass windows are in a Mondrian inspired abstract pattern (although these have a circle in the middle).

At this time, however, Father-Confessor Lane is there, conversing with a barbarian newcomer about the benefits of society and cities. He's also apologizing that Amber needs work to achieve perfection there.
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"I've yet to encounter a perfect city, or a perfect society. Some are better than others, but the advantages outweigh the drawbacks or they wouldn't exist at all. All we can do it try to do our bit to make things better."

"Forgive the intrusion. I am known as Spellbinder. I'm new here and trying to learn more about the city, the people and their problems. I've been told that this was a good place to learn more."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"well, perfection is what one strives toward." Lane will respond and smile at the barbarian. "If you will excuse me, I hope than answers your questions and you choose to return."

As the barbarian heads off, perhaps with another church member, Lane will walk up to Spellbinder. "I heard you were standing up against some of the corrupt law enforcement in the city. I am impressed that people care so much."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"I think that people care. I think the big issue is that this isn't home. I'm guessing most got here with just the clothes on their backs or what they could carry. They are too wrapped up in survival to have much time and energy for anything else. The feel isolated and powerless. That makes them easy victims. They cave in to the gangs because they don't see any way they can fight back."

"My life has been about protecting people from things they can't fight against. In the end this is more than I can fix alone. The best I know to do at the moment is start somewhere. Show people that someone cares. Show them that they don't have to be victims. Hopefully I can forge some alliances and get people working together for the greater good. If I can start that, then we build grassroots support and turn this city around."

"That's the hope anyway. Maybe I'm being naive, but I have to do something. The powers that be here have let this happen so I can't count on them to fix it."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Perhaps the soul of the city is not strong enough. This sense of identity and belonging you speak of is based off of that." Lane will offer. "What is this place? What does it offer? We are ... where? The center of shadow? How does anyone internalize what that even means? We need to represent something more approachable."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"What is this place? What does it offer?" Spellbinder shrugs. "I wish I knew. Maybe for those who walk the Pattern this is somewhere special, but for the rest? From the little I've seen, most people don't plan to be here, they just end up here...kinda like going to Denny's. I honestly don't see what makes them stay. Sure, some may be too poor to afford passage on a ship, and I've heard the forest is pretty dangerous, but I know there are people who could afford to leave if they wanted to but don't. Maybe in time I'll find the answer, but for now..." Spellbinder shrugs again.

"So, 'something more approachable." What do you think that would be?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"From what I've seen, this place draws the paragons. The monsters in the forrest are so bad because they are quintessential examples of a monster. This causes issues because the city is made up of only big fish. Many have never been bested before; some don't believe it is possible to be bested. Yet, this pace shows that the scale does continue up." He ponders for a moment. "Perhaps, this is the pure template of a city. Or, it will be once it finishes developing. Drawing on all the possibilities outside and all other possible developments to find a true path. It is still young, a child that needs to be cared for. And it needs a parent."

"For the people here... the pattern is the vision Dworkin attempted to give them. We're supposed to accept his vision of pure law, that leaves little room for further identity. To him, the city is an afterthought, yet the city is truly the cradle for the Patterns. Without the city, they would be open and vulnerable. Perhaps it goes further than that..."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder ponders for a moment. "Actually, I would say that most of the people I've spoken to have been bested before. The gangs couldn't maintain their reign of terror otherwise."

"From what I hear, it is definitely a young city and having growing pains. You say it needs a parent, but you don't seem to approve of Dworkin in that role. Never having met him myself I really don't have an opinion. If not him, who do you think might suit the role better?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Aside from anyone?" Lane will ask. "Perhaps, a principle instead of a person. An idealized city we want to emulate? I have a book on the subject I submitted to the castle a while ago, Codex Urbs. but I think it got stuck on a shelf somewhere. It describes a city planned from the start. Proper waste disposal, water, food distribution from a central source to nodes to individuals. Still, that is just the vision I have seen. It's not a parent though, and I am not for that position."

He will shrug. "Still, if you want to see the good and bad... I will guide you." He will collect his coat.