07.08c: The Loneliest Breakfast

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.08c: The Loneliest Breakfast

Post by misfit »

At this point Nuall will come bustling into the room. For a change his hair is not pulled back but is left loose...although that may be because he hasn't had time to do anything about that yet. He is still buttoning up his doublet as comes in. He has a new saber hanging from his belt.

"My apologies for being late. Quin called me at rather short notice and I needed to make myself a bit more presentable. Have I missed anything?"

He will grab himself a cup of coffee (given the menu around here I assume there has to be coffee) and will grab any available seat.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I was about to say that lines of politics are pointless. If the Pattern is erased, the reality it is based on will vanish. It's difficult to do that to Amber itself, but it would only take me about... an hour... to erase almost any shadow, let it collapse on itself. When you compare the idea of a law that I may invoke, it seems silly to worry about that." Dworkin's voice as a very serious edge to it, there is no doubt he's deadly serious.

"Before any of you decide to raise a hand, understand that ANYONE who has walked the pattern can do this. As can the rival courts that Odin is from."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys sits back and listens, seemingly unconcerned - either she has an extremely good poker face, or this isn't news to her.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I will take that as a 'yes'. Very well, can the Pattern be attacked from anywhere in Amber, or does an enemy need to be in close proximity? And is destroying one enough to achieve the goal, or must they all be undone? We cannot plan an effective defense unless we know exactly what we need to defend."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"The four were created as redundancy. The destruction would only unmake the one court and those that stem from it. If all four were destroyed, it would be gone. As for striking at it, they'd need to be standing on it or right next to it. One reason why their powers are reduced here. Primal Chaos can't destroy this place automatically." Dworkin states like you know what he's talking about.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie: "I take the defense of all our lands as of primary importance, and it is for this reason I did what I did just now. I feel there are plans that while I may otherwise have taken a bit longer with, I must now move them forward at a faster pace, taking some unpleasant but necessary shortcuts where required. If this legion like creature or the people of chaos pose the threat I suspected they do, and as you just confirmed, then order is needed, our lands, individually or united, organized, our people prepared, and beyond all our patterns strengthened and protected."

"It is also for this reason I made sure I came here today, prepared and healed. When this meeting is done I intend to walk the pattern. If I am to be Queen of Rebma then it is necessary I have the power to defend her. You say the lines of politics mean nothing, that our politics are irrelevant, but I cannot disagree more. While the threat of being unmade is serious, it is only serious if there is something to unmake, something to fight for, something to fight against, a reason beyond the selfish desire for the individual to live another day to press on, a reason to tell those who threaten us, NO! It is for this reason I will be doing what I do, I will give the people of Rebma a purpose, a reason, a sense of pride and patriotism. This will strengthen Rebma, Amber, my people, and the protection of the pattern. I have in my time learned many things, and been through many tragedies and many wars, and I say this, do not underestimate a people that fight not just for themselves but for something they truly believe in and with others they truly care for."

"In the end it will be which of us cares strongest, fights hardest, and will press on far beyond the limits of the rest that wins the day. I intend for it to be us, not this legion creature or the courts of chaos."

"Now you asked if I had a question, and I have several. Why do you fight? Why do you care? For what is it that you will press on with us to protect our lands, our people and the pattern? Are you willing to put your life on the line, to sacrifice it, if it means these lands are protected, the patterns remains whole, and make sure our enemy is forced to acquiesce to our claim to right of existence? Also for what is it it the enemy fights? What is it we need to counter balance? What is it they believe in? Are we even in the right? Actually... what is it we're expected to fight for? Some of us have been here for but a day. I suddenly have a kingdom, and people to be responsible for and protect, but I just got that handed to me. What is our reason? What is it we are expected to believe in? What is it we are expected to fight for?"

"Or are we to create our own purpose? If so I have clearly chosen mine, to see to it I and my people have a reason to fight, together and for each other. Something the current system of laws not only does not provide but actively works against. Be that through intent or circumstance it is something I cannot use as the foundation for a strong or united people."
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall looks at Sadie and raises an eyebrow. "I definitely missed a lot. Me? I fight for survival. Not the most noble of causes, but it suits me down to my boots. Whatever else may be going on right now, I am going to focus on protecting the Patterns and myself in the process. It looks like the game is starting, and I know the stakes I'm playing for, so I mean to do what what it takes to win."

Nuall pauses, a quizicle look cross his face quickly, then he chuckles to himself and continues.

"Thank you my Lord Dworkin. That answer is very helpful. Now that I know what is to be defended, the next questions will be what resources do we have to defend with, and what exactly are we defending against? A timetable would be helpful if possible."

"For the first, we will need to a detailed listing of the troops available to us. Sending out calls for new recruits would also be helpful. Once we know what troops are available we can plan deployments and strategies."

"As for the second, I presume that you are already have some knowledge my Lord. Any insights you could give us would be helpful. I find myself sadly lacking in information, and in battle information can be more important than swords."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie looks to Nuall. "I meant more Dworkin, but truly I hope you find something more than the base instinct of survival to fight for in the end, someday." Smiles a bit for the first time after this whole thing started. "Something we dogs have been trying to train you humans to understand since time immemorial."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Yes Suhuy... that's not a bad idea..." Dworkin will mumble to a shadow that pokes out from behind the throne.

Dworkin will stand up. "Troops? You have the ability to create whatever you desire. Find anything. You have as many or as few troops as you want, so does your opponent. Troops are but tools you can use to fight. Pattern... Pattern itself is the real weapon. As for a timetable... Their own power will no longer accept them. They must first learn to regain it, then they must train to use it, then they must comprehend how to find us. We have time."

He walks forward a little, away from the thrones. Thin shadow tendrils spread out from behind it as the sun vanishes. "Find what matters. Make it real. Because what is not real is of no consequence. All things are power."

"Sadie, that dragon you fought... I can summon two, three... a hundred into this room. I can find ones instinctively loyal to dogs, ones who intrinsically hate them. I can find ones that are a near perfect match to the one that was killed. So can you, if you look. The only thing I can't duplicate is you." Dworkin turns, matching eyes with each of you in turn... He seems to be at least a foot taller, although that's just a psychic impression. "Those who have walked the pattern, those with potential to walk it. Sadie, I can summon a dozen versions of you. Some might even be able to shapeshift as you. But none would have your intrinsic ability to walk through shadow, thus none could survive the pattern."

"You have it backwards velveteen rabbit, the boy is real because he loved you."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"Then, my dear Dworkin, I will give him something worth loving, and make that boy all the more real."