07.01d: The Seventh Winter (Dinner Table)

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.01d: The Seventh Winter (Dinner Table)

Post by misfit »

Nuall take a moment to compose himself.

"A court full of kings?" Nuall beings turning over cards from his deck: Renny, Alys, Asai, Eretria, and Morgana. "There would seem to be a fair number of queens as well.

"All powerful? I find that dubious. I for one am far from being 'all powerful'. I have walked the Pattern, which I am told has something to do with power, but that is the only power I possess unless one wishes to consider skill with a blade 'power'. Also, what need for more than one person who is all powerful?

"And I do not believe that 'interchangeable' feels like the correct word. I suspect that Dworkin aims closer to 'complimentary'. I am a swordsman, as you would appear to be as well my friend. You have said that you believe Eretria and Darnell know more of these cards than we do. I have not had a chance to become acquainted with most of these people yet, but I suspect that some of them are skilled in sorcery. What other talents they may possess I cannot guess. A chess board with only kings would be unplayable, as would one of only castles. In the right circumstances a pawn can take a piece that a knight cannot.

"So could we create a court of powerful, but diverse individuals? Yes, we could...but to what purpose? One does not gather an army for no purpose. What is Dworkin's purpose here? I am certain that we would give much to know the answer to that question.

"Also, it begs the question of who would lead? In a crisis when quick, decisive action is called for a committee is the best way to ensure that action is neither quick nor decisive...if taken at all. An army needs one commander to make the decisions, regardless of how many officers and advisers he has. The alternative would be several people, or groups, running off to do what they feel is best with no overall plan...which I suppose could work in some situations."

Nuall refills his wine glass and takes another drink...then he stops and looks at his glass.

"Perhaps it is time that I cut back on this for a bit. I seem to having too many deep thoughts tonight."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon looks at his drink, then looks at Nuall's. "Are you drinking the same thing I am?" He continues, "Seems to me you have more experience than you choose to let on. Anyhow, that is in the future. For the present, i'm waiting for dessert, then we can be off. Actually, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to find Quin and guarantee we'll be back before tomorrow night."

Oberon stands up and bows, and if you let him go, will head out the door for a short time.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

After Oberon's departure Nuall looks thoughtful for another moment or two and glances at the very quiet Solten. They he puts his amiable smile back on, turns to face the others at the table and engages in idle chit chat.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon returns just before dessert arrives. He returns with Quin, the jester walking around elsewhere. Oberon returns to take his seat just before a plate of giant cookies arrives.

"Quin agreed to contact us when it gets close to tomorrow night's festivities. A dance at Rebma.... We'll be travelling in fast time, so we'll see what we can get in." He smiles and sits down. "Solten, I am not sure if you should stay here or not... I don't want you to be lost."
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Solten finally stirs from his reverie. "What was that Oberon? Oh, yes, definitely let us go. I do apologize for not being the best company tonight. All this talk of politics combined with such a full meal and all the new experiences already tonight seems to have made me lose focus. Suffice it to say that the implications of what I learned today are... overwhelming; and that doesn't get into dealing with the courts going forward. I am eager for some more physical adventuring!"

He grabs a cookie and prepares to depart.
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon nods. "So, unfortunately, my deck doesn't contain a card far enough away. Nuall, would you mind offering your home card for this?"
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Well I have do desire to go back there, but if it will help in our little outing you are more than welcome to use it. Can all three of us use the one card?"

Nuall pulls the card out of his deck and offers it to Oberon.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

He holds it between the three of you, and grabs a cookie with his free hand. "Okay, everyone hold on, and then grasp each other's shoulders in a ring. Then we're going to focus on the location pictured in the card... when the link happens... just, try to move there, and pull all of us there together..."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall follows Oberon's directions. At first he has a little trouble focusing on the card and not on the spectacle they are making of themselves.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"Sounds simple enough!" Solten says with a hint of excitement. He grabs on and stares intently at the card...
Solten