07.01c: The Seventh Winter (Refreshments)

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.01c: The Seventh Winter (Refreshments)

Post by Joshua »

(From main topic.)

Gloved hands reach out from under the bar / oeuvre table grabbing a cookie and withdraw. This is followed by two yellow eyes looking out from under the table before a short (5' nothing) man in a black robe scoots out and stands up. Said black robe covers him completely with a dark hood pulled over his head to conceal his features. His face is bandaged with light gauze and in the more direct light his eyes look more blue. The aviator gloves hide any last possible glimpse of him, and clash horribly with his outfit. He looks around between Ruben and Renny and tries to shrink under the table again before realizing that he's nowhere near as stealthy as he's hoping. Casually, He leans over to the two people nearby and attempts to look natural. "So, uh... come here often?"
(it is worth noting, this person hasn't been seen at court before... Might be a noble, might have snuck in.)
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.01c: The Seventh Winter (Refreshments)

Post by colomon »

Renny's face lights up when she sees Ruben, but before she can say anything to him, the newcomer speaks up.

"This is my..." Renny counts on her fingers, "six... no, seventh visit." With a friendly smile she reaches out a hand, offering to shake with the little man. "I'm Renny."

I'm preusming that Renny and Ruben must have met, and have enough common interests (Renny's home culture is all about fishing via sailing) to get along -- Renny enjoys the weirdness that is Amber, but Ruben is like a good-natured slice of normalcy for her. Let me know if this assumption is unfounded.
Ruben
Needs a Guide

Post by Ruben »

Ruben jumped into the conversation before the smaller man could reply. "your seventh time? So that would explain your frequent disappearing acts." despite his disapproving tone, he wore a broad smile, and gave Renny a wink, using his height advantage to keep the unspoken communication out of the newcomer's line of sight.

Turning to the smaller man, he spoke conspiratorially. "This is my first arrival here. It appears that some of my 'friends' failed to deliver the invitation sooner."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The smaller guy is stunned briefly at having interrupted a conversation. His eyes go a little wide, but he recovers fast enough to return the hand offered to shake. "Invitation?" he squeaks, trying to edge away, but forgetting he's still holding Renny's hand. "I... I should go. Please, don't let me interrupt."
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

"Oh, no, please stay!" Renny responds. "You're probably all that's standing between me and a thirty minute lecture on the yields of the different squid jigging methods he's tried, blah blah blah." She winks at Ruben.
Ruben
Needs a Guide

Post by Ruben »

Ruben fights the impulse to erupt in laughter and instead takes on the tone of a disappointed sensei correcting a young student who was dictracted by a frivolous pursuit. "The Giant Squid is a worthy adversary. If you intend to keep those thumbs on future journeys when I'm not around, I'd suggest you work on your technique."

"But fear not, my friends, I will not bore you with tales of tentacles. My interests have broadened. I'm really more of a Blowfish man today. Delectable flesh and destructive poising within centimeters of one another. The challenge of the catch AND the challenge of the carve. Do you mind if I demonstrate, friend?"

Without waiting for an answer, Ruben wraps his strong right arm around the stranger's shoulders and brings his left across his torso, mimicking a knife cut.

"You see? It takes a balance of strength, skill, and fearlessness. Not unlike the qualities necessary to steel oneself for an appearance in a brand-new social setting."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The stranger is quite stunned by the turn of events. He froze when Renny said to stay, and you could see and feel muscles twitch as he is grabbed, unable or unwilling to defend himself. Perhaps he realized the move wasn't an attack. Still, his knees start to give out. "please, I don't want trouble for sneaking in." He shivers before daring to ask, "You're not throwing me out?"
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Solten walks briskly to the refreshment area, searching for anything that involves meat. He stands nearby methodically eating one thing after another, watching the strange play before him. He appears content to watch, for now.
Solten
Ruben
Needs a Guide

Post by Ruben »

Realizing his demonstration was attracting a crowd, Ruben decided to de-escalate. He wrapped his arms beneath the stranger's shoulders and supported him until his own knees locked in an upright position.
"I'm not in charge of the guest list," he mutters into the stranger's hood -- he assumes there are ears in there somewhere. "Good luck with the evening."
Then he turns his back and looks for a new conversation partner. "How is that cheese?" he asks Renny.
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

"We're not throwing you out," Renny says quietly but firmly. "There's plenty of food to go around. If someone objects, tell them you are here with Renny and Ruben."

Turning back to Ruben, she replies, "That crumbly cream-colored cheese is very tasty," pointing at the cheddar.

Then a platter of deep-fried baby squid catches her eye. She snags one, says "Are these your giant squid that are endangering my thumbs?" and then pops it in her mouth. She takes a second to examine her thumbs. "So far so good."