07.01c: The Seventh Winter (Refreshments)

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.01c: The Seventh Winter (Refreshments)

Post by Joshua »

Darnell will intercept the stranger (Osmund, although he didn't mention his name) as the robed figure tries to make a break for the entrance. The elf offers, "Let's see about getting you on the guest list, since you've just gotten an official invitation from the Queen of Court Amber."

There's a quick, "what?!" from the stranger as he's ushered to the front of the room to have a short conversation with the guards.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"Every time I turn around, this place gets stranger." Solten says around a miniature ham sandwich, half to himself, half to anyone nearby. He swallows. "Well, if anyone can get the odd little man settled in, it's Darnell."

He turns to Ruben and Renny. "So, I hear you two are in the Giant Squid business?", he says with a smile.
Solten
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall glaces at the commotion by the refreshment table, and then goes back to his conversation with Asai and Quin.
Ruben
Needs a Guide

Post by Ruben »

"So this place is objectively strange," Ruben asks Solten. "I was willing to give it the benefit of the doubt, but it seems like there's been an awful lot of physical exertion for a typical dinner party."

"As for my business, I'm more of a sailor than a fisherman, but squid pay the bills as well as anything. I typically take my lead from my worthy patrons," he said, performing a ceremonial bow in the direction of Renny'.
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

"As I recall it, I said squid were tasty," Renny says, waving around another fried baby squid for emphasis. "I never said anything about going after squid bigger than I am. Though now that you've mentioned it, it does sound like it might be good sport."
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"I suppose it might be, at that." Solten chuckles. "Perhaps one day you'll have to show me how it's done. As to tonight, I honestly couldn't say how much physicality happens at dinner parties. I'm rather new to the castle, having just arrived. I feel oddly linked to the place, however." He remains quiet for a moment, then says "Have you any idea what we've been invited to? My invitation was... vague at best."
Solten
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

Renny nods. "An end of year party with an extra surprise, that's all I know. Ruben, you've been around Amber the last few months, right? Have you heard anything more?"
Ruben
Needs a Guide

Post by Ruben »

"Actually, I'm afraid I don't have much more light to shed on the situation, either. I only returned to port this afternoon. I was met by a messenger who insisted I come as soon as the lines were secure. I haven't even had the chance to change from my arrival-ceremony uniform. Before you start, yes, I know I'm no longer serving, but even on my own boat, I like to dress up for the homecoming. It lends a sense of suitable celebration to the arrival ... and, it comes in handy when you're summoned to a formal celebration!"
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"Amazing coincidence, that. Though I've been much more inclined to think that doesn't exist around here." Solten watches the commotion caused by Oberon's arrival. "Perhaps we might learn something at the dinner table." He downs the latest snack, one of the oft-mentioned squid, and declares "It's time for some real food anyway." He heads for the table.
Solten
colomon
Missing Some Marbles

Post by colomon »

Renny quietly signals Ruben to hold back a moment. "What Darnell said, about the 'Queen of Court Amber' -- surely people aren't still taking that seriously?" She tries to make this sound like a lighthearted question, but it's pretty clear she's genuinely bothered at the thought.