07.01b: The Seventh Winter (Fireside Chat)

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.01b: The Seventh Winter (Fireside Chat)

Post by misfit »

Nuall removes his hat and bows deeply. "Greetings My Lady. As our friend here said I am Nuall, and I am at your service. It is an honor to meet you. I trust the evening finds you well?"
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"Well enough, though cheerfully wary. I'm hoping past experience with powerful humans acting like Dworkin has been of late, being elusive and rather erratically manic, doesn't apply in this case. Usually back where I came from it resulted in explosions and some poor outbuilding getting set on fire... Yourself?"
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I am doing well Lady. I'm still very new to court, and have hardly met the man, but aren't 'elusive" and 'erratic' words that are often associated with Dworkin? Perhaps it would be wisest to make sure that we are near a door when he enters in case your fears are well-founded." Nuall gives Asai a mischievous wink.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin laughs. "Sorry, perhaps you should know. When Dworkin has a problem, it doesn't just explode or set something on fire. Still, what he has is dangerous, but not explosive. It's something that always causes issues in court. But, it also shows parallels." He shakes his head. "You two have no idea how dangerous you currently are, do you? The power granted? For you an 'outbuilding' would be your home-world."
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"There have been remarkably few exploded 'outbuildings' since I arrived shortly before last festival, I will give you that. It was more an analogy than anything, mundane powers mundane explosions..." Asai pauses long enough to nibble on her appetizer. "I visited my home shadow after walking the Pattern, before returning here... I'd been gone for only a month or so, by my reckoning, yet most of a century had passed and the home I knew had changed. Oh, most of the buildings were still there and it still bore the same name and sorts of people, but it wasn't the same. If merely walking and traveling can spin time so easily elsewhere, I can readily see a deliberate action causing far greater damage than the routine ravages of time."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Well explosions and time must be things of sorcery, which I am unacquainted with. I have been told that such things exist here, and I've seen enough to convince me that it must be true. I'm told that it requires much study, and I'm afraid that's beyond my simple mind. I was never meant for scholarly pursuits, so I will never have that kind of power. I'm afraid you have misjudged me is you think otherwise Quin."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The jester seems... disheartened at something. "Time, is unusual. And yet, there is infinite shadow out there. If you desired, you could find one that is the same as your home when you left it. Perhaps even slow time in your home to better match Amber. You can have anything you want, armies, riches, worshipers. You could discover and create a world, a kingdom, find ancient ruins full of secrets, or make them for others to find." His attention seems to wander a little. "Unless..." He focuses again. "Well, perhaps after the announcement... I have an idea."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Ah, so you know what this announcement is then. The court has been in a buzz speculating that there was going to be something special, but no one knows what. Since everything here is still so novel to me, it hasn't been as special for me so I haven't had the same level of anticipation. I can't deny a certainly level of curiosity though. But fear not, I for one shall not try to pry the secret from you. Knowing the ending before time spoils any drama. ...but I cannot speak for the good Lady here." Nuall winks and chuckles.
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"A secret revealed in its proper time can be of great value, sometimes the only thing that will get students to stretch their fledgling minds. Held too long, though, and it becomes a void, a question forever lacking its answer or perhaps even worse an answer without a question." The corners of Asai's lips curl up in a reasonable approximation of a smile, taking the sting out of what might have otherwise been a melancholy turn of phrase. "Given the fuss and grandeur I suspect the proper time is shortly to come."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin nods. "Yes. I suppose he did not intend whispers. But I'm not sure if he's finished with the gift. From what I understand, it's a method of communication so that the members of court are not lost in shadow, out of touch, when need be. I suspect it also contains a listing of court members, so that it will be difficult to hide in anonymity. Plus, it might help drive home how important some of the court members are." He smiles, an picks up his drink again. "Surely you've notice that the courts have an organization, that perhaps Dworkin has not expressed clearly. Well, I suppose he feels we have enough members to make that public as well."

He takes a drink. "So, with that, and knowing the two of you occupy the same place in your respective courts... Mayhap we could compare and contrast to find out what that place is?" He laughs again, "Or I could wager a small piece of my past against answers to my odd questions."