7.05a: Exploring the City

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 7.05a: Exploring the City

Post by Joshua »

Jericho moves his hand slightly, producing a pistol from beneath his desk, there's a light flash and basically nothing happens. Assuming he's not decapitated before the shock fades, he looks at it in disbelief, "Oh come on!"

He will, naturally, attempt to throw the gun at Ruben. He's not a terrible throw, but it's not much of a thrown weapon.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys smiles, and snatches the gun out of midair. "Ah, I'd been told this sort of thing didn't work here. Nice to see a practical demonstration, though."

If Jericho tries anything else, she'll casually grab one wrist, twist his arm behind his back, and pin him to the wall - not really seeming to pay much attention to what she's doing, but offering absolutely no chance for escape or retaliation.

"So," Alys turns towards Ruben, "Jericho's been kind enough to give us plenty of justification for... more direct methods of interrogation. Would you like to do the honors, or shall I?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

He growls, "Go ahead, show your true roles as oppressors of the people. Use your strength to grind us down and keep us as slaves."

The true irony of a corrupt and abusive police captain stating that is lost on Jericho. There is a small crowd of police watching through the open office door however. They could swing either way on this.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys rolls her eyes, and speaks in the slow, careful tones of someone explaining something to a small child. "You brought this on yourself, you know. You could have actually protected people instead of torturing and, yes, oppressing them. Lowered fees below your competitors. Offered discounts to new businesses. Made this a place people would want to come and make a life in. Had you done that, people would have flocked to your banner, and we would have had no cause to come walking through your door - today, or ever. In time, you could have governed a prosperous neighbourhood, made more money than your current cutthroat tactics could ever dream of, even reached for a title for yourself and your descendants."

She shakes her head, and picks out one of the tools from Jericho's desk drawer; within a few seconds the red glow of heated metal starts to spread from where Alys is holding it.
"Now, of course, you will have none of that. Don't worry, though; I promise I won't do any worse to you than you've already done to others..."

OOC: Remember, Alys is playing "bad cop" here - Ruben could offer Jericho a second chance if he really wants to, and she'd go along with it. Of course, he did just try to kill you... I don't know how Ruben thinks, but offering a clean death might also be a viable "good cop" option at this point.
Ruben
Needs a Guide

Post by Ruben »

Ruben addresses Jericho once before turning on his heel to address the gathered troop.

"I'm still waiting for the information. To whom do you report? Cooperate and you'll live."

He doesn't cringe at Jerico's first scream as he leaves him with Lady Alys.

"It should be obvious that the rules and protocols here are about to change. For those of you who want to be part of that, we'll have to devise a test of your loyalty -- to the new order, if not to it's principles. The rest of you should drop your badges and head to the door."

A second scream from the office reveals that Jericho has not yet chosen to divulge his superior.

"Your late commander is either stubborn, foolish, ignorant, or a combination of the three. Will any of you care to say which? Can any among you share the information he will not? Who manages this sector?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

It takes a few minutes before Alys exits the office, dragging a miraculously not-yet-deceased Jericho, and carrying a small book. She tosses him to the floor in front of the (presumably now thoroughly cowed) police.

"Well, Ruben, you were right - there was a conspiracy. The interesting thing, though, is what he - and Jesse and Stevens, the chiefs of the nearest precincts - were actually conspiring to do. Oh, sure, they were raising funds and gathering arms towards a stated goal of 'overthrow Amber' - but," she flips open the book and reads off a line, "Sixth year, day eighty of the third quarter: 40 pikes traded to Kenneth's Precinct for twelve gold and a case of elven wine." Alys pauses to let that sink in. "Kenneth's precinct, who you've been all but at war with for the past three weeks - and he sold them weapons simply to line his own pockets. And that's just one example. I will say this for Jericho," she prods the man with the toe of a boot, "he kept very good records."

Alys hands the book to Ruben - there's an extra bit of paper stuck into the open page, which reads:
"No greater conspiracy - this was just Jericho making a profit by directing anger at the current situation against us; no-one else here was in on the scam. It should be possible to redirect that against him - and potentially set this area on a path to recovery - but you've got a better chance at that than I do. The people know you, and will be much more willing to trust you have good intentions."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: Details of the confession were given via PM.)

The crowd seems ready to react, with high tensions and uncertainty. Clearly afraid of both of you, and unsure if attacking or fleeing is the right idea. It's also possible to get other reactions, Ruben is fairly good at this sort of thing. How do you want to spin this?
Ruben
Needs a Guide

Post by Ruben »

Ruben leads the senior police away from the rest of the crowd.

"So now we know -- you and me, both -- about the drivers of some of the pair in this community. I want to take this slowly, but there will be demands for action. Demands for answers. Demands for leadership. We can provide some, you know that. But you know, and I know, that we won't always be here. I'd like to take the rest of the time I have on this trip to help open opportunities-- for trade and other advancement. But if we need to maintain civil order... If we need to make war against the forces that would tear this world apart, I promise you we will do that, too."

He pauses to allow Alys to rattle a saber for effect.

"So what will it be? I am asking you to trust -- and I am doing so with the honest admission that you have little choice for the moment -- but I'm also asking you to build trust, with me, the merchants, and the people. What will it be?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The leaders nod.

One of them steps forward, "It would be easier if we had other sources of resources. Nothing is provided for us, we needed to find weapons, what little armor and other equipment we got. That had to come from the protection money, and we're still underfunded. Some of us have training, but an equal amount of the trained ones become thieves." He shakes his head. "And the best ones are taken to the castle to be guards there." He looks down. "We're outgunned. Er, outsworded."

The other agree briefly. A second head cop steps forward. "We really don't know much about the castle. What you do, what is done for us. We're told officially you're divine protectors or wardens, but we don't see that. We just see our best work being taken."

A third one adds, "We'll do what we can. But, we need some kind of public show of this. The common people won't take our word for it, and even taking us through the castle... there's uh... like a hundred thousand of us now. You can't walk us all through it."

(OOC: City Amber easily has twice that number of residents. Not counting Ht'Gon and Rebma. My guess is it will eventually have a million or so.)
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"...One moment," Alys says, and ducks back into Jericho's office. When she returns, she's holding a large bag that clinks with coin.

"Jericho's emergency stash. It may not solve your funding issues permanently, but it should deal with any immediate concerns. As for the rest..."

Alys raises her voice, to make sure that everyone - including Nathaniel, wherever he's ended up - can hear her. "I'll make an offer. Anyone - and I do mean anyone - who's willing to put in the effort to make Amber a better place, can come to me for training. I'll start that up in four days time, using the current festival grounds. It will be primarily combat training, because that's what I'm best at - but I'll bring in experts in other topics as needed, whether that be how to tell if someone is lying to you, or how to track down a thief who's gone to ground."

In a lower tone of voice, meant mostly for the leaders standing before her, she adds, "And that should cover both training and the public show you asked for."