Silver Insanity

Precious, Valuable Madness
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:54 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:01 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

Continued from Chapter XX.

Targrove seems pretty much unchanged since the last time you were here. It's still full of thieves and cutthroats and adventurers (though, out of fear of the queen, it remains a safer place than most other such cities.) The local temple to the Harbingers of Light (aka the shadowflame cult) is towards the top of the market district, on the edge of the city and somewhat out of the way. It's also a bit on the small side; the locals mostly prefer other religions.

It is also worth noting that both necromancy (as in construction and use of undead creatures), and consorting with demons, are illegal in Targrove, punishable by death - and said punishment can be freely administered by whoever happens to notice an infraction of this law. This shouldn't present an insurmountable obstacle to Thirwin's presence in such a city - Targrove has no laws saying it's illegal to do these things if you're somewhere else at the time - but it's still worth keeping in mind.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:57 am 
Lunatic

Thirwin will apologize to Nathrezzel for a use of limited miracle, but he wants to make sure the Non-detection spells he's casting on Tain and the necromantic artifact have that extra "umph" to not show up as such. (Mostly he's just using it to hammer some additional DC into checks to break through. Yay, Trickery domain!)

Before entering the city, Thirwin does have a bit of a talk with Tain. Mostly to try to determine if it's worth disguising him and letting him out for a bit, or if he'd rather spend the trip inside a backpack.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:12 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

Taingrethylmune doesn't seem to see why you'd be trying to hide. If someone objects to your presence - kill them. Simple.

In other words, if you do let him out, you'd best keep him on a very short leash.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:18 pm 
Lunatic

"Well, I guess Malika worries me more then she worries you. Fine, you can sit in my backpack. Let me know when you get hungry, I won't have you on any more hunger strikes." Thirwin will shove the bunny back there. "Why Tycho asked you to help me, I will never know."

Jenner can choose his mode of transportation.

Thirwin will debate with himself, and decide to head to the temple first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:28 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

The acolytes at the front greet you politely enough, though the reaction to your question isn't quite what you might have expected.

"You want to know about Tethy's folly, huh? You and every adventurer from here to the wilds." The acolyte sighs. "You'll be wanting to talk to Martin*, then. I'll go let him know you're here."

_____
* There is a "Martin Emelson" that you'd know of in the church hierarchy. He's a follower of Balor, and a dedicated monster hunter - and one of the relatively few clerics who travels openly outside the lands controlled by the Harbingers of Dawn. Decently competent, albeit still a bit short of your level of power.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:00 pm 
Lunatic

"Every other adventurer huh? Well, I am not just another one..." He will pause, "I heard directly from... how do the adventurers find out?"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:44 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

"Four people made it back from Tethys' expedition. Two of them - the barbarian and the bard - have been quite vocal about it. Though I gather Martin isn't impressed with the accuracy of their reports."

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2009 3:48 pm 
Lunatic

"Oh okay. Well, if it made it through the channels I heard it from there must be some truth to it. Yes, if you could announce me to Martin. Also, I'd like to talk to the head of the temple, but that can wait until they're free. Has it changed since I've been here last?"

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:54 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

The acolyte shrugs. "Auric Cupper has been in charge as long as I've been here."

If you don't have anything more to say to him, he heads off, returning in about four minutes to let you know that Martin is ready to see you now.

Martin, for his part, has clearly seen better days. The room he's in contains a few remnants of what looks to have been powerful healing rituals (braziers and bits of chalked circle), now mostly pushed off to one side. The efforts do not appear to have been particularly successful - Martin seems to be going through a steady supply of clean bandages across numerous wounds, and a kettle of boiling water is sitting in one corner. Despite his injuries, he's sitting up and at a desk; a few scattered pages and several old tomes sit open in front of him - you recognize one of them immediately as a scholarly work on the second age. (Not one of the best such works, but probably the best that a small and out of the way* temple such as this could get a hold of.)

He looks up as you arrive. "Ah. Thirwin, wasn't it?"

_____
* Out of the way with respect to the lands controlled by the Harbingers, that is.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:14 pm 
Lunatic

Thirwin nods, "Yes, that's correct. Uh... Would you like some healing before we start? I have plenty of positive energy stored for today, if you think it would help." Regardless of the answer, Thirwin is very interested in wounds that could remain after such healing, and will take a look at them while he continues.

He says absently as he looks at the wounds, "Ikaria mentioned you might have unearthed something about the second age. Is that where you got these?"