Silver Insanity

Precious, Valuable Madness
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:44 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:13 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

Continued from Chapter IX.

The morning comes around again in Dornsby, though the clouds have yet to vacate the sky. At least it's not raining anymore.

Not that this matters much; magical travel will quite quickly render the local weather irrelevant.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 10:27 pm 
Lunatic

Aurora is at the gates of Dornsby before they open, waiting patiently with Eenyrl as they eat the breakfast she'd gotten from the innkeep before they'd departed not too long ago. She walks out as the gates swing open, then stops to wait a short distance out, adjusting a few straps on her pack as she does so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 11:29 am 
Prismatic Pangolin

You do not have to wait very long; the guards at the gate are (literally, in some cases) tripping over each other trying to be helpful, and the gate opens well ahead of schedule.

Even at this time of morning, though, there is already a line of travelers waiting to get in - mostly farmers headed for the marketplace, though there are a few more distinctive individuals.

A traveling salesman's cart drifts serenely by, pulled by a clay golem in a shape that might be considered vaguely horse-like. "Crazy Ivan's Magical Wonders!" is boldly painted on its sides. The proprietor, perched on a high seat in front, is a ragged old man in mismatched clothes, and wearing far too many amulets and charms and knick-nacks and gewgaws. His hat looks like a raven's nest, and jangles as he sweeps it off his head and bows to Aurora. "Good day to you, m'lady," he calls down. His raven, displaced from the hat by the sudden movement, squawks angrily and curses at him in seven different languages.

Further down the line, a slave trader waits patiently, a carefully measured bribe for the gate guards already in his hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:34 pm 
Lunatic

Thirwin is talking to the slave peddler. One of the rats from the underground has been following him, pretending to be a familiar so as not to disrupt the streets anymore than Thirwin already does. For some reason the slave trader looks a little nervous.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:46 pm 
Sane. VERY Sane.

Stewart wonders towards the gate closer to its normal opening time, gnawing on a freshly baked roll of stuffed bread. The cart of "magical wonders" gets eyed carefully, but he otherwise appears to be paying little attention to the people around him. Despite that, he seems to have little problems making it through the crowds, although this likely has more to do with the fact that he is walking alongside Luma than anything he is doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:10 pm 
Lunatic

Thirwin looks at one of the human slaves, and turns to the vendor who actually cringes when Thirwin offers money for the slave. Thirwin makes a few signatures, takes the receipt and signs it also. He then hands it to the slightly stunned human being unshackled, and walks over to the group.

Even more odd, the trader seems relieved that the slave was freed.

"So, are we ready to travel?" He asks Stewart.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:30 pm 
Sane. VERY Sane.

"I'm ready, but the actual departure depends on the lady making the arrangements." Stewart nods at Aurora.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:42 pm 
Lunatic

Aurora gestures for the other four to follow her as she moves to a patch of shade next to the wall a short distance away from the gate. "General idea of this spell is to slip into the border of this level of reality and the shadows, the blurred border doesn't follow the same distances this level does so we walk a lot faster. Can't aim for a specific end location I don't think, the blurring extends to what we see as well beyond generalities. I need to be in contact with all of you to make the transition, I might be able to get around that in time but I'd rather not try that just now. Once the transition's made we should be fine to separate, but you're likely to be on your own for getting back if you wander away."

Once everyone has established physical contact, Aurora closes her eyes in concentration. The light around them becomes watery and thin, and the shadow they're standing in begins to wisp up around them. This rapidly progresses and soon the two merge into an all-encompassing half-light in which even the great walls of Dornsby behind them are vague and half-unreal. Aurora turns to face where the sun would be if the sun were visible in this shadowed realm and says, "Shall we?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:24 am 
Sane. VERY Sane.

"Hm. Appears to be Nemiriya's realm. Interesting choice for travel, but understandable. And something I have a fair amount of experience with. Should work admirably." Stewart nods respectfully at Aurora. "Lead on!"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 12:51 pm 
Lunatic

"Where are we headed first again?"