Silver Insanity

Precious, Valuable Madness
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:44 pm

All times are UTC-04:00

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 11:21 am 
Prismatic Pangolin

Continued from Chapter II.

The trip from the Circle of Daria to the Dorn river is a quick one; it is still mid-afternoon by the time you arrive.

Across the river from you lies the city of Dornsby. A squat keep at its southern end looks out over the mighty Dorn river, and the city sprawls to its north, edged in outgrown fortifications like some fancy layered cake.

On the near side of the river are a few plain buildings within a simple wooden palisade, and a small dock for a ferryboat. Passage on the boat is advertised as just a few copper.

The guards at the gate (really just a hole in the palisade) don't seem quite sure whether to stare at Luma, or look very definitely away from someone so obviously dangerous. In either case, they seem unlikely to bother the two of you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:06 pm 
Sane. VERY Sane.

Stewart will grin at the poor guards, but simply hand over the copper and head into the city proper. Once inside, he will head to the center of the city presuming that the largest building, at the center of the city, is the Duke's residence. Once there, he will simply hand over the letter of introduction.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:00 am 
Prismatic Pangolin

The ferry ride across the Dorn river is remarkably placid for someone more used to taking boats out into the open ocean - but is otherwise uninteresting.

The docks district at the other end is, again, fairly dull. The locals probably think it's a somewhat dangerous place to be - but it seems tamer than even the "safe" side of the docks in Targrove.

The center of the city seems to be its southern edge. Indeed, in an amazing display of military incompetence, the Duke's mansion abuts directly against the walls of the fort.

The servant who answers the front door takes your letter of introduction, and looks at it dubiously. Eventually he shrugs. "Wait here, please. I will take this to the Duke." And, with that, he closes the door again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 10:27 am 
Sane. VERY Sane.

Stewart will turn to Luma, "You know, I never bothered to read the letter. Hopefully Kiaskurro put what he was supposed to in it." He will grin, find a seat, and pull a small, unlabeled, black tome from his haversack.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 4:52 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

About an hour later, the servant returns to the door.
"Duke Timon does not wish to speak to you." He pauses, and then adds, "The late Duke Arthos' dabblings in the arcane arts are not something that his son likes to be reminded of. Please do not return."

The door closes again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:00 pm 
Sane. VERY Sane.

Stewart will stare blankly at the door for a good minute.

"What? That's not how quests to save the world work." He growls slightly, but stops suddenly. "Late Duke Arthos? Looks like something's going on here, what do you think, Luma? Time to ask around, perhaps..."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:46 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

"We're on a quest to save the world? Really? Why doesn't somebody tell me these things!" Luma looks at you with an expression of mock indignation, before ruining the image completely by laughing.

Back outside the elite southern edge of the city, a few questions in a randomly selected tavern reveal that the late Duke Arthos is, by this point, about three years late. Apparently he had managed to call up something - nobody can quite agree on what - that he had then failed to put down. Kiaskurro was, it seems, woefully out of touch with the times.

However, hanging around in a tavern and asking questions does, inevitably, expose you to the current news of Dornsby. Namely, that the pack of were-rats that had been terrorizing the outer sector made a bold new move the previous night, and slaughtered an entire guard station on the inner wall.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:05 pm 
Sane. VERY Sane.

Stewart will order whatever meal the tavern offers, or their "specialty" if they happen to have a choice. Then, the promise of food coming, he'll kick back and turn to Luma. "Were-rats sound like fun... More fun than zombie hyenas, maybe? And perhaps we can wrangle getting access to the old Duke's library out of it too."

He'll think for a moment. "Don't suppose you have Remove Curse on tap, would you? We're going to need a fair amount of them, I think."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:22 pm 
Prismatic Pangolin

"Yes, that does sound more fun than zombies... Even if I don't get to actually kill any of them."

"Remove Curse?" She concentrates for a moment. "No, nothing - now at least. But then again, I don't need it now... Worth trying when we get there, I suppose, but I don't think it'll work."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:51 pm 
Sane. VERY Sane.

"Darn. Well, we can probably get a cleric in a day and a half. Should we head to the guard station after we eat and track them from there?"