Needs a Guide

Re: 07.14L A Prime Direction

Post by Brian C »

"Um, how does a couple of pictures make this easy? Or is this sorcery?"
The Raven
Missing Some Marbles

Post by The Raven »

"Not exactly sorcery, though I suppose you could make something similar with sorcery if you tried hard enough." Raven theorizes, "They call them trump. He had mentioned he had a way of getting away from Amber relatively quickly, this card will allow us to transport to the pictured room, which presumably is on a nearby shadow, quickly. The other card is either just a drawing or a strange form of trump*, i imagine it pictures either a possible ally or someone interesting Caelund thinks we might encounter."

* - Raven hasn't seen a trump sketch work yet.
Brian C
Needs a Guide

Post by Brian C »

"Thank you. I take it we just draw ourselves into the picture then?"
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Well, I can't say I've seen the like, so for me it's raising more questions that it answers. I could make a few guesses, but that's the best I could do.

First question would be: can we use these more than once? Paper isn't a terribly durable medium.

Second question: once we get there how do we get back...or at least out again? I may not be crazy about Amber, but that doesn't mean I'm ready to live out my existence wherever that is.

I think the other questions may be a bit too esoteric, so I'll leave them for another time. I'd love a chance to learn more about these Trump. I just hate the learning the hard way...but that seems to be the way it goes around here."
Brian C
Needs a Guide

Post by Brian C »

"I can always get us back. It's not quick walking back with pattern but I've already done it once. We won't be stranded."
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

A pace away from the conversation stands the courier, toying nervously with the tassels of her shawl. She seems quite content to remain silent for the time being while considering whether to leave without being dismissed or stay without being addressed. For those who care too look for it, her timid and cautionary demeanor seems to be very slightly giving way to equal parts confident superiority* and terrified concern**.

*: "These guys really seem to know less than a local street-rat . . ."
**: ". . . but could probably dictate policy for the entire city."
Brian C
Needs a Guide

Post by Brian C »

Looking up at the courier" Thank you very much for your time. Please thank the sender of the parcel for me. Good day. Gentelmen shall we?"
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"If there's a reason to wait I'm not seeing it. Of course I'm just the assistant. Lead on!"
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

For the sake of brevity, I will assume that the Raven (or perhaps Spellbinder - he's seen it done at least) will provide instructions on how to actually use Trump. For the record - not that any of you really have the perspective to notice yet - using the provided sketch requires significantly more focus and mental effort than using an actual Trump card would.

Which means the three of you appear in the previously described room, on the "podium".

Three things become apparent upon your arrival:

One: The provided trump sketch no longer feels cool to the touch - seems it was one use? Or maybe it just wasn't used quite right? Regardless, it's now just a perfectly ordinary piece of paper.

Two: This room is not as empty of occupants as it was depicted; there are two orange-furred women with cat-like features* in simple grey uniforms.

Three: Your arrival was sufficiently non-instantaneous that, by the time you're actually there and looking around, they're ready and waiting; one has a distinctly gun-shaped device out and pointed in your direction; the other is armed and has a hand on her gun but hasn't drawn it yet.

The one with the gun out reacts instantly by pouncing on the Raven**; the other facepalms, then hits a button on a device fastened to her wrist, "Captain, we have a transporter malfunction! We seem to have acquired a pair of uninvited guests... and one chew toy..."

_____
* A truly dedicated Star Trek fan will recognize these as Catians, though they're certainly not in starfleet uniforms.
** Apparently this pre-empted trying to shoot anyone! A small bit of good luck there to go with the bad; the concentration requirement to arrive, plus the Raven's previously established fear of cats, should probably net her a successful pounce. ...But only probably; she is still "merely" chaos rank warfare.
** I'm also assuming the Raven is still in bird form. It seems to have not been specified, so I'm going with the most embarrassing possible result.
Brian C
Needs a Guide

Post by Brian C »

"Hello. I'm Gabriel. This"(gesturing at spellbinder)"is Justin and that"(gesturing at Raven) "is Raven. He is sentient and a friend. I would appreciate it if you would treat him with kindness while we sort this out"