07.14J Presents and Parcels: Pick Up and Delivery

The goings on of courts
Draylen
Lunatic

Re: 07.14J Presents and Parcels: Pick Up and Delivery

Post by Draylen »

The bear doesn't actually blink at the dinosaur pulling the carriage, but does when Alys opens the door. "Ah, uh. Yes." He smiles a little at her and steps up, sitting across from her before pulling the door closed. "Thanks, Alys. I, uh, kinda forgot I could do that," he says, smiling a little sheepishly, looking down. "So, how has your day been?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Quite interesting. For notable events we had the last challenge for Harrune, Harrune's Pattern walk, and the arrival of one Jaeger Reisszahn - I expect you will find his card has already been added to your deck."

"Of these, I expect that the events of Harrune's walk will prove the most concerning, given your recently acquired post. You will need to ask him for the full details, but I can relate some of what we saw..."

Alys will fill in with a description of Dal'ishi's appearance, as well as the portions of the cat's conversation she was able to lipread off his image.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"Oh. Great. Dal'ashi's back." The bear rubs his forehead and sighs, before shaking his head, grumbling a little. "It's, uh, good that Harrune was able to do that, and that we've got a new amberite, I guess? I'll talk to Harrune about it. Thank you for telling me."

He leans back in the carriage seat, sighing a little, before bolting up. "Oh! I found something for you." He slips his hands into his coat, pulling out the many-coiled serpent. "I don't know if this is what you were looking for, but the Pattern led me to it, and I wanted 'something you'd wear that would protect you from psychic attacks'." He smiles a little and offers it to her. "It's more flexible and durable than it looks."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods, adding, "For what the cat is seeking... Ask Osmund about 'it's probably nothing'."*

She watches as Aibne extracts the golden serpent, briefly calling up her own Power to examine it. "Interesting. Yes, that looks like it will do what I wanted. And," Alys takes the offered item and coils it around one arm, "just in time - I am on my way to meet with Odin. I assumed you will wish to offer him his gift as well?"

____
* If this is something Aibne will want to prioritize looking into... time is flexible, and there's a thread currently open on the topic that the bear could reasonably show up at.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

He hesitates slightly for a moment, before nodding. "Yes, I should discharge my duties before I go harrying after new information. I'll speak to Osmond and Harrune about this later. I hope that Odin will like his new toy, as much as you like yours," he says, smiling at you.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys offers the bear a half-smile in return, before changing the topic again.

"Speaking of new information, there was also some sort of disturbance in the city today; something about a rogue alchemist who had actual functioning explosives? Perhaps the best source of information on that would be Caelund," Alys flips out Caelund's card for a moment, "Though he has asked to retain some degree of anonymity, so approaching him directly might not be entirely appreciated."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"...actual... functioning... what?" the bear asks, blinking rapidly. "I don't understand what you're talking about. Is that like those metal rods the people from where I got your gift from had?" He rubs his chest instinctively, but there isn't a wound there any longer. "Those really hurt, way worse than that time Dal'ashi stabbed me through the chest."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys looks thoughtful for a moment, trying to parse Aibne's words into some useful description. "Wands?" she ventures after a few moments.

"Explosives are things that cause explosions... perhaps you are familiar with grain fires, where a simple spark can ignite a moment of flame intense enough to shatter walls?"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"Yeah! they were almost perfect cylinders made out of metal that had a giant bang and fired an invisible projectile." He pauses a little. "I think they were hollow. After they fired their spell, I rushed over and squeezed one. It certainly didn't seem very sturdy."

He shakes his head. "I"ve heard of such things before... they're terrible, from what I hear, but I've never seen one myself."

He leans back and closes his eyes, thinking. "Oh! I wanted to ask you if you would be willing to maybe teach me shapeshifting at some point? I was considering asking if Odin might teach me that mind trick thing he does, if I can get it at all."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys will take a bit of time to explain the concept of "guns" - including the fact that, unless backed by active sorcery, they won't work in Amber. And also noting that the power, range, and accuracy of firearms are all highly variable depending on what is available in any specific shadow.

"Explosives can be terrible weapons, yes. They can also be useful tools, particularly for tasks like mining. Much like firearms, however, such does not function here without active magical support."

At the bear's last question, however, Alys is silent for some time, and Aibne will note that she's looking over him with her Power. Eventually she lets the Power drop again and says, "I do not think I can without resorting to drastic - and highly dangerous - measures, but I am willing to try. Please do note, however, that mental shapeshifting is several orders of magnitude more difficult than the basic physical ability; even if I am able to teach you at all, it will likely be some time before you would be sufficiently skilled to attempt such."