07.14i The Beastman

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

07.14i The Beastman

Post by misfit »

Harrune reaches out to his web of contacts throughout the city to see if he can locate a certain individual. As rumors of sighting come in, he can start to narrow his search. Before too long he is on his way out into the city. He makes his way into the marketplace and begins to search for himself. He walks the rows of stalls, mingling with the crowds. He pays no heed to the hawkers trying to sell their wares, but instead scans the crowds with his sense. At length his nose detects a familiar scent. It is difficult to pick out of all of the smells of the city, but he focuses on it and it leads him...that way.

Once he has the scent he begins to move purposefully. He is trying to avoid looking like he is hunting ever though in a real sense he is. He turns a corner and sees the figure he seeks at a food vendor's stall. The aviator outfit is fairly distinctive, even in the mismatched sea of people. Harrune works his way over to the stall.

Harrune smiles warmly. "'Hello Osmund. It's good to see you again. I have news I should share with you. Do you have time to go somewhere a bit more private to talk?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.14i The Beastman

Post by Joshua »

"Uh... O- of course, mi'lord Harrune." He will flinch slightly. "Is it bad news?" He will get his carrot cake to go and force himself to look casual and follow you.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"That is a more difficult question to answer than you might guess. The answer isn't meant for prying ears though. Please come with me."

Harrune leads Osmund to a nearby warehouse that is used by his family's business. The leads him inside and to a small office, where he offers Osmund a seat. (Harrune's Warfare will make sure that Osmund can't bolt out the door but will try not to be obvious about that.)

"As you know, I was going to walk the Ht'gon Pattern. When I did, something very interesting happened. Harrune recounts his encounter on the Pattern. "So, being hunted by both of them would be troublesome. Where one cannot go the other can. Eluding an Amberite hunter would be difficult unless one had the protection of another Amberite, or more than one."

Harrune sighs and rubs his forehead. "It was been a difficult day, and I doubt it will be getting easier any time soon. I'm really not in the mood for a verbal dance, so let's just be honest with each other. You're the one they are looking for, aren't you? And you have what they seek, or at leas t know of it? I don't know if that object is a threat to us, but we need to know for all of our sakes, including yours. Help me and I will help you."
Last edited by misfit on Mon May 09, 2016 8:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

He shivers and will draw a dagger from his outfit and place it on the table. "I... don't know what it does. It cuts magic like it's not there. It disrupts things, but I haven't tried much with it. It seems like real power, but I do not think it that valuable."

The blade itself looks like a shard of obsidian. It's black, darker than black. Polished to perfect smoothness, but without reflection. The leather strap that's wrapped as a hilt is starting to rot from the contact.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune's ear perk up and he looks at Osmund with his head cocked to one side. "The encounter on the Pattern was something even Dworkin wasn't expecting. We're dealing with things even he isn't certain about. He speculated that this might be comparable to breaking off a piece of the Pattern. I would say that would count as real power, and might be one of the most valuable things in Amber."

Harrune looks at it more closely, focusing his senses on it. "I wish I had known about it earlier. It would have been interesting to see it through the Pattern. I'm a little tired for that now. I don't supposed you'd be willing to tell me how you came to have this?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Not much to it at the moment. When I found the broken pattern that I walked, this was laying nearby. I'm not sure what happened or why it was there. I guess someone might have been experimenting wiht the dagger and the broken pattern? That makes some sense. My home shadow was very close to ... uh... chaos. To the point where it was fragmented and put back together. So, if someone wanted to experiment with destroying a pattern, it would make sense." He sighs. "I suppose it could have also come form the pattern appearing. If it hit some part of ... whatever when it formed, and this chipped off.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune sigh. "There's just too much I don't know. If your home is near Chaos, they it would make sense that the Pattern, or any shadow of it, is weaker there. If one were to try to find a way to destroy the Pattern that would be a logical way to start. Damaging the Pattern may have cause your world to fragment...or perhaps the other way around? Or maybe the broken Pattern is some weaving of Pattern and this Abyss? ...this broken off in the process? Would there be lost pieces of Pattern as well then? If it was a piece of Abyss made solid that might explain why it can cut through magic. Grrr...there's just so much I don't know. It's maddening."

"So, I guess our next questions are what do we do about it and how do we tell?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I'm not sure. I... kind of blew up the cave that held the broken pattern I walked. It'd be difficult to get back there." He sighs. "As for the knife... If possible, I'd like to keep it for now. It's my only real* defense. Still, not sure who you should talk to or tell. I know Aibne has shed blood for this, so he should know. Beyond that, I'm not sure."

Post by misfit »

"Yes, I would agree that Aibne has earned the right to know."

"Dworkin knows the most about the Pattern so it might make sense to speak to him about it. He already knows that a 'shard' exists and that I believe I know who has it. I did not mention your name and he did not ask. If you wish to put off talking to him I understand."

"If not him, perhaps Alys? She seems to know a great deal about the Pattern for one who has never walked it, and she knows a great deal about Chaos as well. I have no idea how much she might know about the Abyss."

"I know too little of Ch'talo to know what he would do if he knew you had it, so I am reluctant to suggest him."

"I would suggest Cameron as you seem to already have a connection with him, but he seems to have gone off somewhere. I would have expected him to be there this morning."

"So, for the moment at least I would say that we should go and find Aibne. Perhaps he would have some suggestions. As for your defense, I offer my protection in Cameron's absence."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"We can talk to.. uh. Aibne then... And Cameron when he returns. He... was terrified of being in charge. I suspect Father Stormroar was going to take him on a retreat to help him get used to the idea." He shrugs and nods. "Thank you for your protection. I hope it's not needed... but... uh... can I still keep the shard?"