07.14i The Beastman

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.14i The Beastman

Post by misfit »

"Well I can understand Cameron's response there. It can be intimidating at first. I may have to have a talk with him about that when he gets back. Hopefully this won't be one of those 3 year long trips. Those have been known to happen, but usually by people who aren't frightened of being in charge at all...they swear!" Harrune chuckles. "He just needs to learn that the key to being in charge is to let other people do most of the work. That does take practice though."

Harrune scratches his ear. "Hmmm...the shard. Well, you do seem the capable sort and you've managed with it this long. It will be easier to keep you safe if you can defend yourself. And, you do have the most experience with it and knowledge of how to use it. Aibne make think otherwise, or Cameron or even Dworkin for that matter, but in the meantime I think it best to keep it in your hands. I don't know what we will decide to do about it, so we may ask you to surrender it at some point. We'll worry about that when the time comes."

"Is there anything else you'd like to say that stays between the two of us or should we go looking for Aibne?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"That's acceptable. Sorry to be so nervous..." He says finishing his carrot cookie... "Let's go find Aibne."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"On second thought, I think we should visit my home quickly. I have offered you protection, but I don't seem to armed well enough for that. Also, you should meet my family. If we become separated they can offer you refuge and assistance if you need it."

To avoid an overly long post, I'll summarize. The pair make their way to Harrune's home and introduces Osmund. There is discussion while Harrune armors and arms himself (well more anyway). He dresses to cover the armor, but that would only fool a casual observer...and of course the sword is obvious.

Prior to leaving, a spell is cast over Osmund disguising him as Anyter* (a new arrival I haven't detailed yet, but see here). Another spell disguises Anyter as Osmund.** Before they leave though, Harrune pulls a card from his Trump deck and starts to concentrate...
---------------
*Note: not Harrune's first choice...or even sixth, but after much arguing it is decided it would be easiest this way.
**Unlikely to be relevant, but the illusions are detailed enough to cover scent to Cani standards, so they will fool anything relying on a nose.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

After a brief delay, Aibne responds to the call.

"Aibne, this is Harrune. Thank you for responding. An important matter has arisen and I would very much like to consult with you on it. Could we arrange a meeting at your earliest convenience? Name a time and place and I will meet you there."

"Now and where you are," the Bear replies. Harrune feels Aibne reaching out to him and uses the connection to pull Aibne into his home.

"Welcome to my home Aibne Grant." Harrune proceeds to (as briefly as possible for Cani) introduce his family and explain the disguise they have put on Osmund. The family provides refreshment and quietly withdraws to the far end of the longhouse so the three can have some privacy.

Harrune recounts his encounter with Dal'ahsi, conversation with Dworkin and his talk with Osmund.

Harrune takes a long drink. "So, that is what I know of the situation. I admit that I am conflicted here. Part of me thinks we should keep this close, and part things that we need to bring in the more scholarly Amberites to help us understand what we are dealing with here. Osmund wished to reach out to you first since you apparently already have a stake in this. Since he found this item and has the most experience with it I would think it foolish to try to exclude him from whatever course we choose."

"Do either of you have anything to add at this point?"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

Abine blinks, but listens closely as Harrune explains. He gives a little frown as the Cani finishes, tilting his head back to think. "Well," he says softly after a short silence. "It is good to be informed of this. I have been busy; I- did not forget about him, precisely, but have been too busy to actively think of his problem. In truth, I'd had hopes that his method of exit would have ended him for us. That he can slip in between Pattern Itself... bothers me.

"But I'm not entirely sure why you're bringing this to me." He raises a paw, forbearing interruption for a moment. "Yes, that Dal'ashi can appear on Pattern whenever he pleases is a great security issue, but I don't know much about this thing he was looking for. I'd have thought that you'd seek out- Ch'talo, I think his name was? The former husband of Dal'ashi. He's far more likely to know more about the cat than I am."

He pauses again and thinks, blinking, thinking hard about something, but whatever it is, he doesn't voice his thought aloud.

"...I might be able to get more information about his patron, but I'll look into that privately."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Well Osmund suggested you because he said that you've already shed blood for it. If you would prefer not to take on this burden, I do understand. As for Ch'talo, well I've barely met you, and I know him even less. I'm not sure how trustworthy he is. I have no clue where his loyalties lie and this seems too large a thing to take that gamble on."

"Again, you may walk away from this if you wish. There are others we can consult with, perhaps Dworkin...or Alys? There are other options of course."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The bear snarls at the mention of Dworkin. "No. That... that..." He gropes for a word, lifting his lip in a toothy snarl. "Creature should have no part in this. And Alys is busy enough, besides." He shakes his head. "I'm the Champion of Amber. I'll safeguard it from all dangers. And this certainly is that." He does pause, before adding, "Although, I can't say that I shed blood specifically for this."

He shakes his head and takes a breath. "So. The three of us. Against something that none of us understand or have the wherewithal to deal with completely." He cracks his fingers and leans back, mumbling a short curse* under his breath, before looking between the two others. "Where do we start?"

---
*"'Life be interesting' indeed", to anyone paying sufficient attention.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Am I to be used as bait?" Osmund looks a little nervous. "Otherwise... if he is not in Amber, can't you seek him in shadow? It can't be much worse then where I usually end up walking."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The bear looks thoughtful for a moment, and then shakes his head. "No, there shouldn't be any need for that. No, there's a much simpler way of doing things." He shrugs a little. "At least, I have an idea." He leans back and looks up, before starting to smile, slowly. "You two both have Trump decks of your own, correct? And cards of me?" He looks down again, his smile growing almost sinister as he looks between the other two beast men. "I will need the rest of the time to prepare," he says, smiling mischievously down at the gold ring he wears, with so many dull, lifeless gray stones in the band. "But, by tomorrow... I may have a Plan."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Osmund shakes his head. "I'm not an amberite... yet-ish... and was not given a trump deck. I can stick to Harrune if you call him though."