07.14f: The Golden Path

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.14f: The Golden Path

Post by Joshua »

Dworkin will say "Dal'ashi is not my guest. He should not be there.*" He's tense, hands twitching lightly. For once, he looks ... almost like he can't do something, instead of he simply won't. "Jaeger is the only new arrival here. Jaeger, Lyra is your guide." He will gesture, not taking his full attention away from the cat-man floating in the void.

He will add, "This was not a predicted permutation," in what you think is a response to Alys.
Needs a Guide

Post by BringMeThatHorizon »

Something unusual was definitely happening around him, he realized this just a split-second after being able to keep up with a weapon and its wielder moving much, much faster than should have been physically possible for either. She wasn't an immediate threat, as her weapon wasn't poised to strike him yet. In fact, it seemed more of a warning gesture than anything- understandably so, given that he had somehow managed to warp from the center of the room to right behind her. There was something very weird about that but he was hardly in a place to question it all just yet. Instead, Jaeger grinned a bit wider and let out another wispy breath of smoke. His mind had returned to him, the rest was just waiting on him to piece it together.

"That," he began in an immensely bemused tone. "Is a pretty weapon, held by a very deadly- ravishing, even, lady." He's eyeing Alys over for a few moments, unsure of whether or not she intends to strike him at all. He waits, but continues the conversation. The male takes another long drag and lets out another breath of smoke- recovering his swagger in bits and pieces with each inhalation.

Until, of course, someone else was glaring at him and trying to snark the snarkiest fox this side of the multiverse. Oh, ancestors, today was going to be a treat. He turned his gaze the Lyra with a wry grin, splitting his focus between the potential assailant and the non-hostile. "If I happen to see anyone else, I'll be sure to remind them this was a private affair. In the meantime," He paused. A scowl took his features as he listened to the brief exchange. "If there's introductions to be had, could they maybe wait until there isn't a stand-off in progress? It's bad business to be givin' your name when someone's got a weapon pointed at ya."
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Maybe," Alys comments with a hint of a smile. "I am certainly willing to wait a bit on giving my name. And if it would make you feel better, I can pretend that Dworkin did not offer yours, Foxy."

She does, however, adjust her stance slightly - a twitch of the scimitar, a shift of her foot... still wary of Jaeger, but making it clear that Dal'ashi (aka void-cat) is her current primary concern.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra simply nods to the man, not taking her eyes off the large feline. Whomever this is, he seems to be causing Dworkin concern and that's enough to galvanize her to action. She strides towards the outer edge of the pattern, liquid metal flowing around her draconic form and solidifying into black steel plates. "Dal'ashi is it? Please extricate yourself from the pattern immediately. I will not allow your interference to put these two in harm's way." While her words and body language dare the cat to exacerbate the situation, she prepares to step onto the pattern again, fully expecting an unpleasant response for the hulking cat.
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

Meanwhile, on the Pattern:

Harrune draws his sword, pausing his walk and taking a wary, defensive stance. He’s already charged with Pattern, being on it. "Who are you and who is this husband you seek?"

"Me? Oh yes. I am Dal'ashi, husband to Ch'thalo. He was following your other beastman here, last I saw him. I know one of you beastmen has a shard of my Master's power. As I am here, might as well ask you... Although, there's no way you could hold it now, I don't think."

"I know of Ch'talo," Harrune replies, "but I have not met him. Who is your Master and what power are we speaking of?"

"It is the space where things do not exist," the cat replies. "It has no name, and is beyond all. It is the primal form of my old master, the Dragon Beyond the World, Oramus. But he was a poor reflection of the truth of non-existance and dreams."

"So the void between Pattern and Chaos? That would explain being able to be in the gaps in the pattern."

"You are too real to see anything else." Dal'ashi grins a wicked, predatory smile. "No reality in the way." The cat steps forward, an aggressive stance, spear at the ready. "Do you know of my Master's shard of non-existance?"

Harrune adjusts his stance slightly, almost seeming to ignore the cat's aggression. "I fear that I do not."

"Hmm... I suppose not... Perhaps I could offer something if you were to find it and let me know?"
Dal'ashi ponders for a moment. "I could take care of that Theotropolis problem for you?"

"And how would I find you to contact you again?"

“Hmmm, your trump is unlikely to reach..." the cat ponders further. "Toss a note off the pattern on your next walk. I should get it."

"A novel idea. It will be interesting to see if that actually works. As for my next walk, I need to survive this one first. Walking the Pattern is never safe and I cannot tarry much longer."

"I suppose..." The cat sizes up Harrune, and eventually nods. "...I suppose attempting to beat more truth from you would be not worth the risk. I suspect one of us would light on fire and I do not like my chances. Very well. If we have a bargain, I will leave in peace." Dal'ashi seems quite reluctant about this last declaration; it's clear he wanted a fight.

"I will see what I can learn on the subject," Harrune assures the cat. "And forgive my lack of manners. You took me quite by surprise. I have your name, but you do not have mine. I am Harrune of the Court of Tir-Na Ng'oth."

Dal'ashi does not reply, instead simply fading away.
And Harrune, with some effort, resumes walking along the Pattern.
BringMeThatHorizon
Needs a Guide

"And just as quick as he'd come, the floating lancer is gone. Well," Jaeger quipped now that the threatening creature had seemingly left. The male throw up his arms in an exaggerated shrug, then turned his attention back to the pair of females near him. "If you'll kindly rest that weapon back in its sheath, I'm of no mind to start any further mischief until I have an idea of where I am and how I managed getting here." He pointed to the scimitar, having noted that Alys' stance had been shifted and he was no longer her target as of a few moments ago.

"Now, I don't know which of you is Lyra- I'm assuming it's you over there without the weapon pointed at me. But in the case that I'm mistaken, I find myself in an awkward situation to be guided from."
Me? I'm dishonest, and a dishonest man you can always trust to be dishonest. Honestly. It's the honest ones you want to watch out for, because you can never predict when they're going to do something incredibly... stupid.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys' scimitar is sheathed before Jaeger is done talking. Her stance still reads as 'dangerous predator', but that's really no different than when Jaeger first saw her.

A quick glance in Lyra's direction shows that she's still on edge, waiting for another interruption*, so Alys keeps talking.

"Introductions, then. I am Lady Alystrakos Obsidia Sybaris. The shadow dragon over there is, as you surmise, Lydre-Altherin Lyra. Dworkin you have met already; he is the one who is responsible for both bringing you here - and for this place being here to bring you to it. Morgana, Ruler of Ht'gon An'rit - your Court, by the rules Dworkin has set up. And still in sight out on the Pattern, Harrune Tharassa Tyrnath Reran, Ruler of Tir-Na Nog'th."

As each name comes up, Alys conjures** up the matching Trump card - allowing Jaeger to examine them, but not actually letting go of any of them.

_____
* Double-checked this with Lyra's player via chat before posting. Had Lyra wanted to speak up, I would've cut the post off here.
** Not literal magic, just sleight of hand. Still moderately impressive; Alys' current outfit does not offer much in the way of places to conceal things... and yet a careful examination will reveal† not just a handful of cards†† secreted on her person, but a surprising variety of concealed weaponry - throwing daggers, darts, shuriken, and so on and so forth.
† Subtleties in the way her sashes fold, indicative of hidden objects or heavier weights than the silk and jewelry alone would account for. That sort of thing. Jaeger can identify some of Alys' arsenal for certain, and can be similarly certain that - without a rather more thorough search than is afforded by mere visual appraisal - there's some of it he's missing.
†† Oddly, the cards are among the best-hidden and best-protected items on her. They must be more important than just visual aids for new arrivals...
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: Oh yeah Morgana!)

(Note: Jaeger's card is there, and apologies to Harrune's player for his walk getting lost in the chat... It is uneventful after this point.)

There is a LARGE female ogre with everyone. "Uh, yes, Lyra is the guide of Ht'Gon, the court you just joined. I am the ruler. Alys is... Within the court as well, Those two are good people to ask for advice... I can stay, but one Harrune finishes his walk, I have matters of state to attend to, and a small rebellion* to explain is now pointless." She will smile warmly, used to ignoring hostility and meeting it with friendly kindness**.
BringMeThatHorizon
Needs a Guide

"Holy shit, that is a lot of really long names. Okay, absolutely being clear about this- I am not going to remember all of those names." Jaeger snorts as the list goes on, it's both amused and derisive all at once. "I'm gunna need to go by shorter names, here. So if she's Lyra, you're?" He looks at Alys again, expecting some kind of reply to cut away at the syllables in her name. "Begging your pardon, my lady, but I've known you for all of a handful of minutes here. If I'm to be expected to memorize your full name and title, I have very bad news for you."

The male takes a moment to pull the pipe from his mouth and tap out some of the ash before taking another drag. It takes him a second to notice, but the weight in his hand is odd. Like there's something different about his pipe. He takes it in his hand again and glances at it for a few moments. While examining it, he continues speaking. "For the record, as you've been made aware- I'm Jaeger. Reisszahn is the last name, since we're all about formal introductions here and yes, I realize that isn't an eastern-sounding name. I'd prefer we avoid such questions and lines of inquiry, thank you very much."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"You may call me Alys," Alys fills in.

As Jaeger introduces himself, Alys flips over one more card - Jaeger's Trump card - and eyes it dubiously. "I would not know what you mean by 'eastern-sounding' in this context," she comments dryly, then looks back up at Jaeger himself. "For your reference, that card was not there a minute ago. Yes, I checked."