07.14c: Trial of Fire

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.14c: Trial of Fire

Post by Wyvern »

Alys looks back at Harrune. "I believe that should resolve both of your specified details. If you disagree, well, there is still time for another challenge before noon..."

(( OOC: I know I'd discussed Alys' notion of making Harrune challenge her, so she can make the proceedings end on a clear win for Ht'gon. But it has occurred to me since then that this probably isn't actually necessary; the same political end should be achievable simply by the implication that Alys saw the fight between Harrune and Lyra... and believes that she could win such a challenge. Of course, whether or not there is such a fight, is at this point up to Harrune. There are valid arguments either way, but I suspect the winning one will be that Harrune would really rather not fight if it's not needed. ))
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune bows. "That does indeed satisfy my conditions. Unless anyone else has an objection I proposed we call this matter closed and move on."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods and steps back, leaving the floor open for any other matters someone might choose to bring up.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

OOC: Was there any other business, or were people expecting to skip ahead to Harrune's Pattern walk? If the latter, Alys will request to speak to Harrune and Lyra for a minute - a discussion that she makes no particular move to keep private; if any of Ht'gon's dignitaries want to stay and watch, so be it.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

My guess is that Thanus Rel will run interference on Morek to keep the dwarf from the meeting, while Hrido will be most interested in attending. (and may have put Thanus up to previous action.)

Morgana, unfortunately, is going to verify that the demonstration did, in fact, end all questions about Harrune's actions.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

OOC: All of this post is conditional on Harrune being reasonably agreeable about Alys' requests - I figure this is a fairly safe bet, so I'm posting the full thing now. If necessary, I'll edit portions out once I have a response that indicates I need to.

Alys will open with, "May I see your sword for a moment?"

If Harrune agrees, she'll test the blade with a thumb, and take a few slow practice swings with it. "A good weapon. Well balanced. High quality steel." Then she swings it down against her left wrist, the blade hitting flesh with a faint clink and leaving no mark at all. "But not good enough." She reverses her grip, holding it back out to Harrune hilt-first - handling it by the blade in a way that would remove fingers if anyone human tried it.

"Two days ago," she adds, "I warned you that you might need to fight me. Fortunately, that turned out to be unnecessary - but you should still have brought a weapon capable of hurting me.* I will have to commission a better blade for you."

_____
* This statement has two problems with it - ones which both Harrune and Lyra should pick up on, but which may slip past the notice of other observers.
  1. Based on Alys' description of Automatic Shapeshifting - which description has been given to both Harrune and Lyra at various points in time - the armor she's currently using won't work against attacks she isn't aware of. With sufficient warfare advantage, Harrune could slip a hit through before Alys has time to properly defend.
  2. It supposes that Harrune did not bring any other weapons; things he did not choose to use while fighting Lyra.
Of course, Alys could deal with the first by shifting to a fully armored form. But she seems relatively disinclined to do so. The second she's deliberately ignoring - partly to play up her own reputation, partly to avoid forcing a reveal of whatever metaphorical trump card Harrune might have had prepared, and partly because it segues nicely into her following statement.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

OOC: The only business I can think of that is unresolved was dealing with Guddhi's attempt to assassinate Osmund. The discuss around that topic can be found here. Granted, the display with Lyra might be enough to settle that. Harrune will deal with either outcome as needed.

"The only thing duel that I had been told to expect here today would have been complicated by a magical weapon, so I brought none. In my duel with Lyra the goal was to display my skill, not do her serious harm. The people here have now seen my measure, not that of a weapon. I doubt they will see me as weak as longer."

"As for the future, it seems we are definitely heading into some stormy times. Acquiring a stronger weapon would be a wise thing to do...and better armor no doubt as well. If you wish to aid me in that Lady Alys I would be most grateful. If you do not have time, I can make arrangements of my own."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys will make a faint tsking noise.* "Perhaps my warning was too subtle."

"Regardless, armor you are on your own for."

And she - and Morgana and presumably Harrune and Lyra (and any other Amberites that wish to retroactively declare their presence, including potentially Osmund), will move on to the Pattern room.

_____
* If there's any annoyance in this, it's aimed at herself for misjudging things, rather than at Harrune for not picking up on it.