07.14a: Business as Unusual

The goings on of courts
NPC
Needs a Guide

Re: 07.14a: Business as Unusual

Post by NPC »

"Yes. A pity." Morek says in response to Caelund's opening commentary, his tone carefully neutral.

Much to the annoyance of his guards, he motions for them to stay out of Caelund's back room.

For a few moments, Morek seems to be settling in comfortably - and then it's his turn to look annoyed when Caelund suggests he might be here on behalf of Guildmaster Teusus.

"Mister Arctix," he says, in a rather lecturing tone of voice, "I wish to make it clear: I do not answer to anyone..." There's the barest hint of hesitation* before he adds, "Short of Morgana or the like, of course."

"Which is not to say that I have not discussed your... disagreements with Teusus. And where he chose to 'open negotiations' with thugs, I choose to make a gesture of goodwill: I have arranged that - barring extraordinary circumstances** - your enterprises will see no further trouble from the Merchant's Guild."

_____
* Someone without ranked psyche wouldn't have noticed this at all.
** I.E. if you put yourself in direct competition with the Merchant's Guild or otherwise start to threaten their continued existence, then all bets are off. But until then, they're at least supposed to be leaving you alone.
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

"I mean to suggest no such subservience, Mister Silverbar. However, there are times in which a businessman may be inclined to indulge an associate in exchange for an alternative advantage," Caelund explains in a diplomatic verbal parry, "and I understand well enough that an executive in your superior position must see a particular advantage to be gained before involving themselves in the petty disputes between a guild and an independent employer."

"Which, I would say, neatly brings us to the matters at hand. You have my word that whatever arrangements you have brokered with Mister Teusus shall remain soundly invested and uninfringed by intentional disruption on the part of parties acting under the patronage of entities under my purview. However, I can offer no such guarantee regarding circumstantial or incidental situations such as that which seen to culminated yesterday. We have no intention to compete in a market sporting well-established competition, particularly those known to possess significantly superior tangible resources." * The extensive purple-prose provides a distracting flourish to his wary defense, rather clearly intended to strengthen his 'legal' position without restricting his options.

"It is those resources which directs the next concern I must address. However the bargain with the Guild resolved, to even contemplate such an act of generosity implies a significant foreseen return on investment; no doubt tempering the fury of an economic bull** is normally a costly endeavor. That you have opted to deliver the news personally, as opposed to a proxy, suggests that the outcome is of sufficient import to be delivered with particular discretion and nuance. Lastly, your choice to agree to a clandestine meeting in a room of unknown preparation without personal support speaks highly of your confidence in either your prepared safeguards or my agreement with the options you intend to deliver. With these details in mind, consider my interest piqued enough to ask the obvious inquiry."

Caelund leans forward, resting his elbows on his knees with his fingers still steepled attentively.

"What is the catch?"
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

Morek smiles, "The catch? Reputation, of course; even if we come to no further agreements than those already discussed, the mere appearance of a favor owed can be leveraged to some utility... given the eminence of your sponsors."

"Of course, I do hope we can come to some further agreement, though I suspect that will depend a great deal on what sorts of deals you are actually interested in. Normally I might make an initial offer in the form of, as you put it, tangible resources - but the quality of even just the obvious preparations in this room suggests that anything you lack there may already be more a matter of choice than necessity..."
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

As Morek continues to speak Caelund brings a leg up to rest on the other and leans back on his couch with a mug*, completing the visible show of decreased tension with a sip of mead while pushing his glasses up into his hair. "Under normal circumstances, when a client entreats for a compensation they receive simply by not being visibly turned down it would be appropriate to question their motives. However, this is hardly a normal circumstance, and we are both well aware of the vast potential of the right words in the right ear at the right time**, and of the finesse required to precipitate such situations."

The security manager takes another sip of mead. "I shall be frank, Mister Silverbar, when I say that I had hoped we would cross paths earlier. Your assessment of the situation is not without merit, but there is a proposal or two which may be made significantly more convenient with your personal investment***. Leverage requires knowledge requires research requires data; data is locked within the tomes and literature of the market you seeded. While starting off from scratch is certainly a possibility, reasonable and timely progress would be better facilitated by a larger opening bid - if, say, you were willing to extend temporary credit in such an arena."

"Another concern might be that matter of reputation you discussed: our sponsors may be eminent, but there are times where invoking relation to the Powers That Be is either tactless or counterproductive. Each available tool has an appropriate scale, and detonating nuclear blasts to light one's cigarette is hardly an opportune use of resources. You are presumably familiar with the security consultancy services we offer to select businesses. It may warrant note that a standing contract would legitimize any avenues of discourse and provide a more moderately scaled selection of tools without resorting to thunder-hammers for finishing nails."

As he talks, Caelund extracts a pair of cards from his belt and flips them onto the table. Laying a finger on each of them, he pushes the two Harrow cards representing The Wanderer and the Courtesan forwards.
"That is what I lay down for bargain. What would you do with them?"

*: While freedom to partake in the refreshments is implied, Caelund is also waiting to see if Morek does so without an explicit offer. If he hasn't taken the initiative by the time Caelund is done talking, he will be invited to help himself.
**: the word 'potential' has subtle emphasis, to include the subtle implication of the ability to threaten therewith.
***: using the meaning that the investment of someone other than Morek isn't quite as likely to suffice, and nothing to do with "It's personal, not business"
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

OOC:
Some reference notes for those who may not be following along:

The market mentioned in Caelund's second paragraph is Ht'gon's Market Library, which was started by Morek.

Apparently someone actually did light a cigarette using a nuclear bomb. Morek, however, has to attempt to parse the meaning of the term "nuclear" from context, which gives the analogy a bit less punch.

The two cards presented are not trump cards (not that Morek would be able to recognize if they were), and are symbolic of the preceding conversation; the Wanderer represents Caelund's interest in the Market Library, while the Courtesan represents political intrigue, including (but not limited to) his suggestion that Morek could hire him as a security consultant.
Of course, Morek's interpretation of the cards may be ((okay, is)) slightly different; making direct use of symbolism does have that effect.

IC:

Morek does wait for an explicit invitation before partaking of the available refreshments, also making a show of relaxing once all of the tenets of traditional hospitality have been checked off.

He spends perhaps half a minute examining the cards (including picking them up and looking at the backs) before he responds.

"A very intriguing set of offers. I am afraid I will have to decline this one, at least for now." Morek pushes The Wanderer back towards Caelund.

"But this one?" He rotates The Courtesan a bit to the left. "I am willing to see what your suggested business loan would purchase in this arena."
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

The rejected card is swept off the table in an act of legerdemain. "Very well. Should circumstances change, individual contracts may still be arranged."

Caelund taps the second card with the other hand and rotates The Wanderer* the rest of the way. "Mobility both social and physical permits a degree of perspective and experience unavailable from a static viewpoint. There was a sect which called such an endeavor to be the 'Quest for Knowledge', and went to great lengths to gather all the knowledge that existed in their world under the auspice that all information that could exist already did. But that isn't the case, it is now? Data is generated constantly from the interactions of corporeal choices and cosmic chance; emotional irrationality and quantum probability melding together into circumstances within and without our control. But the concept itself is seeded quite soundly - to control your environment, you must first seek out and grasp at Knowledge, Understanding, and Comprehension."

"Given the subjective nature of barter, I would of course appreciate as broad a variety of topical varieties as you deem fit to provide. A site location can be resolved without calling upon outside influence, so that needn't be included in the investment. I suppose the relevant queries would be when and where we shall exchange for the terms, and if you desire the exact original items returned - it should be possible, though might take slightly longer than otherwise. For the more networked aspects it may take a while to generate the appropriate 'revenue' to provide reliable returns, but what accelerations may be applied shall be done; if you have any suggestions for such applications you are invited to bring them to my attention."

Post by NPC »

Morek nods, and suggests a particular time when Caelund can visit the Market Library to arrange the exact terms of the loan.

And it's at this point that Caelund will receive notice* of the spider-shaped signal flare going off elsewhere, as well as the incipient return of the Raven.

_____
* How does he receive notice? Perhaps his player will offer us a description. Or perhaps he'll keep his secrets to himself. Whichever.
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

Caelund will of course accept the offered time, exchanging the appropriate manners so as to be polite and accommodating but not eager or servile. He seems far more relaxed than when the meeting began, finishing his ale and commenting to the effect of "Certainly Morek has other more important matters to attend" and closing out the meeting with appropriate graces.

If one were to presume that the relaxed demeanor was due to the rather favorable outcome of the meeting, they would be almost entirely incorrect. Before opening the office door, he drops his sunglasses back into place where a flurry of telepathic orders, acknowledgements, and positional data streams invisibly across their interior surface at the speed of thought*. The asset in proximity to the flare is instructed to continue observation of Conspirator 2 if feasible, or if not to assist with organizing reconstruction efforts in the alley and establishing favorable rapports with parties such as the artist who were affected by the explosions. Another agent is contacted to verify that Conspirator 1 (alias 'Allen') is still present on the rooftop and presumably moving now due to the signal; his departure and turned back would be shortly accompanied by a small grey object of dull metallic lustre streaking out of one of the bakery's chimneys while concealed by smoke and disappearing into the pristine and cloudless sky above. Lastly, a cover is organized for the Raven because one cannot reasonably claim to represent an organisation that does not exist; one that was established just that morning, on the other hand, is a completely different matter - individual contacts are, of course, left to their own devices as to how to accomplish the task.

All this is completed by the time the pair reaches the front door to the shop, whereupon Caelund pauses to offer Morek a parting handshake***. "Again, Mister Silverbar, the efforts you extend on our behalf are most appreciated, and we shall see that they do not go unbidden. I'll be engaged with a Client shortly, but if you have any considerations of assistance that may be rendered in recompense you are most welcome to suggest them at your leisure."
NPC
Needs a Guide

Post by NPC »

Morek makes his departure, agreeing that, indeed, he has more important matters to attend to*. His parting comment is a simple, "I trust that next year, your initial planned meeting time will find at least a representative available."**

Continued observation of conspirators will take place in the Burning Spiders thread.

_____
* Specifically, he needs to be back at Ht'gon in time for Harrune's challenges.
** In other words, this is the first thing he's asking Caelund to accomplish: make sure that one of Morek's family is able to attend the soiree at Tir'na next year.