07.13x: Refuge of Dreams (Part III)

The goings on of courts
Rasanam
Lunatic

Re: 07.13?: Refuge of Dreams (Part III)

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam thinks about that for a few moments. "That sounds reasonable - assuming there's some reason we shouldn't just go ask Rath about it?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Aside from his hubris... The fact he was attempting to trap the One instead of himself, well... I don't exactly trust him. But, if you can get real answers that might be helpful." Nate ponders. "He is dangerous. He plays above his level, and that should scare you. He might have some kind of ploy, he MIGHT have some connection to real power. But, I suppose we'll have to figure that out sooner or later. Just be careful."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam nods, then turns to Lyra, "What do you think? See what we can work out on our own, or talk to Rath first?"
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

"Either destination should yield us some valuable information. We can probably seek out Rath first. He's dangerous for certain but it might be good to seek answers from him and establish a good relationship. I could see him viewing the power we have now as a threat so seeking him out and being forthcoming might be a good way to head off problems before they develop. At least that's how I'm hoping things will work out. We can move on to Topaz from there; try and find out the secrets there on how to manipulate this world's power to keep it safe."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The trip is fairly easy at this point. The sewers are still slightly overrun, but you had previously managed to get rid of the worst of the inhabitants. Oscar, the head of the spellfilcher's guild, is more than willing to let you pass. If you recall, underneath the mouth of the bay set of tunnels that leads to the section of the city that sunk when the bay was formed. This undercity goes out under the floating island (that's floating-on-a-waterspout island) centered around a temple to the One. The doors to the temples are closed and from the top of the temple, rises a pilar of airy water and light, that goes through the ceiling of cavern that holds the partially excavated city. The doors are currently sealed with a powerful energy barrier. There was a key within a magic ring that one of your compatriots was holding onto.

The wedding rings that Dworkin gave you, however, seem to open the door just fine*.

Inside, the temple remains as it was when the living metal** entered to find Rath. A simple temple to the One god, using his old yin/yang symbol instead of the more modern plain golden ring. The pillar of light illuminates in front of the altar. Within the edges of the temple, silvery shadows move. Whatever constructs that chased you off prior, some have remained.
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam looks over the scattered silver constructs in the room with a puzzled expression. "Huh. I remember those being a lot faster.* I guess maybe we don't need the invisibility spell I prepared?" Then he shrugs, walks in, and starts to sketch out pictures of the three-legged walkers, with a particular focus on sensors and joint structure.
_____
* The constructs aren't actually any slower or less capable than they were last time. Going from human rank warfare to amber rank** makes a bit of a difference.
** Or above amber rank, as the case may be. No, I'm not going to tell you Rasanam's exact stats here. :-P
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Lyra looks around as well. "Yeah, it doesn't seem like anything here is a threat." Despite her words, Lyra's not taking anything here for granted and is ready for a fight. She examines the pillar of light, drawing close to it while Rasanam is sketching. "Step into it?", she asks, glancing up towards the ceiling.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam pauses his sketching to head over and examine the light instead. After several moments he nods, "I think so."

He tucks the sketchbook away, takes Lyra's hand, and prepares to step into the pillar with her.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The battle is... fast and rather pointless. To begin, the pillar is a zero-gravity zone, one simply needs to jump and you can float up to the island. The issue is that the 'sheens take that moment to attack. They're about a meter long, oblong "walker" with three silvery metallic legs. As these are the local equivalent of 1 - 2 HD monsters... they pose somewhere between little and no threat. Also, because the subtlety of zero gravity combat is not a deterrent for someone with Amber level stats, their main advantage is removed.

By the time you pop out of the top of the pillar through the center of the island into the nearby landing garden, there are no threats.

The island itself is stable... mostly. There's a vague bobbing sensation if you try to feel for it, but it's about as stable as a cruise-ship. Overall, it's a garden-covered island with a number of marble structures, pantheons and more typical housing. It's not all that dangerous... what are you looking for?
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Not really sure what to expect up here, Lyra looks about the gardens cautiously, scanning for any threats. With none apparent she relaxes a bit and searches the area for any signs that anything has been moving about up here, whether that be machines or something else.