07.13n: A Meeting of Mages

The goings on of courts
Rasanam
Lunatic

07.13n: A Meeting of Mages

Post by Rasanam »

At some point after the discussion about Theotropolis, Rasanam seeks out Spellbinder.

"I hope you are finding the evening entertaining?"
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.13n: A Meeting of Mages

Post by Spellbinder »

Spellbinder is still near the musicians, listening to them play. He looks up as Rasanam speaks.

"Oh, hi. I gotta tell you, I really don't know how to answer that one. The music is pretty cool, but the rest?" Spellbinder shrugs. "I'm just feeling out of sorts, out of place and out of my depth. I'm used to crazy, but I don't think I'm the right kind of crazy for this place."

"Speaking of which, someone needs to keep an eye on that Aibne guy. I've seen behavior like his before. Either he'll pull himself together and be just fine, or he'll go completely off the deep end. If it goes bad, it could go really, really bad. I tried getting through to him, but he wasn't listening."

Spellbinder sighs and shakes his head.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

"Oh." Rasanam pauses for a bit, and listens to the music.

"It is fairly nice, isn't it. ...Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for the spellwork you did today - a much better expenditure of time and effort than, well, that." Rasanam gestures at the floating maze he'd set up. "Unfortunately, practicality isn't really one of my strong points. Lyra helps with that some, but I still tend to think in terms of permanent solutions rather than immediate ones. So if anything else comes up that's an obvious thing that needs doing, magically speaking, please don't hesitate to let me know."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Definitely keep working on a permanent solution. All I did was buy you more time to get it done. The way you talk, you'd think it was just Lyra, you and me. There's a lot more magical power in this city than that. That Guild could have assigned a group of apprentices, no...journeymen, that's the right term, isn't it? Any way, they could have put a group of students on it as a learning project. The bigwigs wouldn't even have had to get their hands dirty. It would have been good PR for them."

"Sorry. I'm just frustrated by the people here. Oh, and you're welcome."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam blinks. "Hm. Good point... Back home, that's exactly the sort of thing the Emerald Guild would've handled. Not a group I paid much attention to, to be honest; I did my apprenticeship in the Ruby guild, and headed for Topaz* pretty much as soon as I got the choice. But here I guess we've only really got the one mage guild, and they're kinda focused on the humans, aren't they?"

_____
* I think it was Topaz?
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Yeah, they seem intent on getting every human mage on their side, or under their control. Okay, the way I hear it they help bring in a lot of resources that the city really needs so they aren't totally evil. But like I said, teaching the students who aren't ready for that yet some practical application of their power wouldn't be a bad thing. Theoretical knowledge is great, but if you can't bring it to the real world it's hollow."

"As for that," he gestures towards the maze, "spectacle has it's place. If we dealt only in the practical the world would be drab and life wouldn't really be worth living. But spectacle can be a trap. Since I got here, the powers that be seem more concerned with the spectacles than the world at large. There's so much than needs doing here. I don't even know where to start."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam shrugs. "I can't answer that for you. Apparently I'm starting with sewers - which I do intend to include more of a living environment than is entirely traditional; I'm hoping that can help alleviate some of Amber's issues with needing to import foodstuffs and basic fibers."

"Lyra is working on setting up welcome centers that offer public legal council and try to help new arrivals avoid falling through the cracks. I hear Alys has decided to start by sorting out the legal system and training a militia, though I don't think her public statement of intent is in quite those terms. Asai seems to have decided that Amber needs a library system; not quite what I would have prioritized, perhaps, but certainly nice to have around."

"What anyone else has decided to work on... you'd have to ask them."
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"Hmmm...Alys is sorting you the legal system you say? I didn't think you had one. My attempts along those lines have gone pretty badly. I work best helping an existing system. I don't know how to be the system, especially not the entire system. Maybe I can help there. Or maybe I just don't belong here. Or maybe things are just moving too fast for me. It's hard to say yet."

"So, maybe what you need is to get your big players together and come up with some kind of plan. Figure out who is going to do what bits. I think that makes more sense than the approach you've been taking...or not taking. Sorry, not trying to sound harsh here. If I understand right, things have been growing really fast, and for a lot of that you didn't have enough 'Amberites' to manage everything. Maybe you have enough now to set things right, or at least get a good start on it."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

(( Whoops, kinda forgot about replying to this thread. ))

Rasanam winces a bit at the comment about legal system. "As I understand it, the current 'system' is pretty much Dworkin, us, and then whoever managed to seize power. In a lot of cases - Ashara in Rebma, Lady Ninear in Faetown, Morek in Ht'gon - that seems to have worked out reasonably well. But then there's the rest of the city..."

"More organization or coordination among us would definitely be a good idea, though. I'll see what I can arrange."

(( OOC: Going to start up a responsibilities OOC thread. ))
Spellbinder
Missing Some Marbles

Post by Spellbinder »

"...and the people who seize power don't do it to benefit the common people. Nothing new in that. I'll talk to Alys and see what her thoughts are. I'm certainly no judge or lawyer, but maybe I can do something to help. It's definitely too big a job for one person."

"And if there's something else I can do, feel free to ask. I know there's a lot to be done and, well, I'm here."