07.13M Of Diplomats and Discussions

The goings on of courts
Draylen
Lunatic

Re: 07.13M Of Diplomats and Discussions

Post by Draylen »

"The council," the bear begins, smiling slightly, "will likely not be convening anytime in the near future. The infrastructure necessary to ensure that it runs reasonably well is not yet set up. Of course there would need to be representatives from all cities - and in more ways that you'd expect. A Law-Maker, a Guild Master, and at least one Amberite, plus the Voice of Chaos." He pauses a little at that, and his smile broadens. "Thirteen, at a minimum. A good number, is it not, Odin?" He shakes his head, clearing it.

"Limits need to be placed on the power an Amberite has. I am not coming to you three for this as an Amberite. If I chose, I could have simply decreed it so, and so it would be, until someone else wants it torn down and replaced with a system of their design. This, to me, is unacceptable. The system should be set up in such a way that it is difficult at the least to destabilize by mere whim, which is my plan. For that, I have devised this system as Champion of Amber. How well it works, and who works upon it, is something that we will have to wait and see."

He closes his eyes, taking a deep breath, considering. "There should be a... Contract, of some kind. Such that the Chiefs did, when they banded their clans together to form a greater whole. But, I do not know how to do such a thing. For... several reasons."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will nod. "Sounds like you have a bit of planning to do. For my part, I doubt you truly wish to invite two to three thousand clans worth of delegates. Not including minor clans... I think there was closer to a million of those by last count. Debating on how many have been wiped out by civil war, of course. And some clans are forbidden from holding office or positions of power. An emissary position would be included in that."

"In addition, less than fifty of my brethren currently know this place exists, let alone how to get here. I don't intend to tell more until we can figure out what sort of relations we will have. There are those who will not stop until Dworkin is returned to us in chains... or with a crown. Not sure which he'd prefer, really. The good news is, I think the ones who'd teat your acceptance of the demon clan as an act of war are included in that group. So, if you chose to do that, it wouldn't cause any additional issues."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys thinks for a bit, and then nods, "Actually, Odin brings up a good point - it is possible that a formal invitation such as you describe might carry sufficient metaphysical weight to open the way for rather more than the... perhaps half-dozen clans* that might currently be capable of sending an emissary here. It would likely be better to have no official policy - or even an official policy of intolerance - and then acknowledge arriving diplomats on an individual basis."

"As for limits on the power of an Amberite - Dworkin's rules have that right already: the only limits that can be placed are those enforced by others at that level of ability. As such, I think you will find the current system is much less fragile than you imagine; attempts by one to destabilize - at whim or otherwise - will be met by significant opposition."

_____
* Her inflection makes this a question directed at Odin, despite being in the middle of a sentence.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The bear pauses and then blinks, visibly, from both of those revelations. "Wait. wait. Hang on," he asks, holding a paw up, closing his eyes and thinking. "First things first... a million clans?" he asks, blinking stupidly at Odin, before shaking his head. "that's... that's not important. Okay. Okay. I've got it, I think..."

He takes a deep breath, thinking hard, before exhaling slowly. He shakes his head, clearing it from the mind boggling information he's just been handled, and looks at both Odin and Alys, inclining his head. "The exact specifics can be left for later. This is the goal I have for it. Can you phrase it on your own time and avoid the invitation?" he asks the two, smiling softly. "I make no claim to be an expert on the affairs of Chaos. I will see both of you are suitably repaid for your efforts in these matters."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Repaid?" Odin will raise his eyebrow. "Perhaps. But, we can get the wording right. At the worst, i'm willing to avert a war."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods, but doesn't seem to have anything to add at this point.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The bear snorts slightly, and smiles. "Of course. You will both be doing quite a deal of work, both difficult and exacting." He leans back, tilting his head and thinking. "In the world I am from - and many others like it, I'm sure - the one who bears your name gave up his eye at the Pool of Knowledge to have the wisdom of all things. Two ravens came to support him... but that's not likely to be appropriate in your case..." he toys with the idea a little more, before smiling a little and tilting his head. "Mmm. Perhaps an eye, carved from the very wood of the Yggdrasil. One of the Yggdrasils. Would that suffice?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will raise his eyebrow... "Uh... yes. That's fine*..." he says. "Let's get things worked out. Alys, tomorrow?"

Post by Wyvern »

Alys nods. "If you will excuse me, then?"

And, unless someone else has anything to add here, she'll take her leave.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"ah, um, yes, ah. Begging your pardon, lord Odin, but the Champion of Amber is a role of great responsibility, and I have many other things pressing at my attention." The bear, too, stands and bows, offering him a smile. "Until we meet again." He pushes the chair in with care, and nods at Lyra and Odin, before hustling off toward Alys.