07.13k: Of Moats and Marionettes

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.13k: Of Moats and Marionettes

Post by misfit »

At first Harrune does not react to the arrival of the newcomer. Then he noticeably sniffs the air. His ears perk up as he sniffs again. He turns to face Caelund...and the tray he holds. He will take take a pastry from the tray and sniff it again. He takes a bite and gives a pleased sigh. (His tail even starts to wag slightly.) He will look Caelund up and down, discretely sniffing again.

"Well done...Mr. Johnson was it? I don't believe that we have met before. I am Harrune Tharassa Tyrnath Reran of the Court of Tir-Na Ng'oth."

He glaces at Rasanam. "No my friend, I don't believe he was."

He give Caelund another appraising look. "I'm afraid that, being unfamiliar with your abilities, I do not know what assistance you might be able to offer."
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

Pastries will be graciously served to each interested party, each one steaming gently in the evening air.

Caelund is content to maintain decorum while serving, before gently correcting the Cani. "It was and it isn't, Mister Reran. While my occupational title is by nature obfuscatory -as is the rest of the occupation- , the appropriate alias among peers would be Caelund Arctix. We have not and as such it is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. "

"As to what assistance may be provided, perhaps I aught to start with a reminder that counting Cards is not merely an advantage limited to student writing thesis in gambling halls but is a valid tactic for anyone wishing to maintain accurate tabs on the game at hand."

He waits a minute or so, taking a seat while giving anyone who wishes sufficient time to apply the offered knowledge before continuing.

"Secondly, as it is clear, are the benefits and detriments of an anonymous agent. As Lady Sybaris has kindly divulged, it appears that there are numerous threats provided by conspirators and offensive parties integrating themselves into our social structure, with such parties being aware of and capable of accounting for the local leadership identities."

He lies the now-covered platter on the table before him, situated not to block any lines of discourse, and folds his gloved hands on the table.

"And thirdly, I might happen to have some experience with Distributed Emergent Swarm Intelligences. It was suggested that you two gentlemen* might have ideas of how to apply it."

"Fourthly, I can play chess. Anyone up for a game?"

~: Occasionally Caelund glances distractedly toward nearby corners, gardens visible through the foliage, and random points in the sky. There usually isn't stuff there, but its not paranoia if the concern is legitimate.
Last edited by kitsunenotsume on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam will, indeed, take out his trump deck and shuffle through to find Caelund's card. At which point he sighs, and comments, "Would it be too much to ask for Dworkin to let us know when he does that?"

For the rest of the commentary, he simply listens - though if nobody else does, he'll take Caelund up on the offer of a game of chess.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune cocks his head slightly at "Mister Reran". Then he raises an ear at "our social structure".

To Rasanam he says, "I'm sure that it never occurs to him to think that it would be necessary. It would seem that we have another new one among us, and this one at least seems less reticent about it."

He looks to Caelund. "Reran is my clan affiliation, so that isn't quite the right form of address. You seen, among the Cani we...well I can explain the complexities of Cani naming conventions another time. Please, just call me Harrune. Under the circumstances it would seem that full disclosure would be in order."

Harrune will relay what he knows on the subject of the Hivers.*

"As you can see, this will be a challenging adversary to fight if it comes to that. Have you any first thoughts that you would care to share?"

*I'm too lazy at the moment to go hunt down all of the appropriate links, but I can edit them in later if people wish me to.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

(( Addendum: After discussion with Caelund's player, it'd be far more entertaining if someone other than Rasanam accepts that offer of chess. ))
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

Until his opponent is settled on, Caelund will simply set-up the game while Harrune explains. First the platter is moved to one side, revealing a board beneath. From within the covered platter a single set of pieces are withdrawn and arrayed to the side, black on Caelund's edge of the board and white on the opposite.

"My apologies for the misunderstanding; in my business environments it is proper form to refer by an individual's familial name. However, it shall be corrected in future, Mister Harrune." The tone is coolly professional, but is delivered sincerely enough.

"As for my thoughts, I have plenty at this time - but none of substance. Were the game one of perfect information where all we could know was visible, perhaps we could discuss our observations and logic out an appropriate response. If all the knowledge you provided were true and all the theory discussed with Lady Asai were accurate, the appropriate countermeasures would be a mere choreography and we both the players and the audience."

"Alas, the reality in which we reside is not a transparent zero-sum skit. We are not truly aware of our opponent's objective, their king, or even their pawns unless we sight them ourselves - and then only so long as we maintain resources on observation. One may even go so far as to perhaps suggest that we are playing in the dark."

The game-board is folded open to reveal a pair of matching 8x8 checkerboards connected by a short vertical screen sufficient to conceal the opposite board but still allow for conversation.*

"Is everyone familiar with how to play, or would a brief explanation be of benefit?"
Last edited by kitsunenotsume on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Looking at the chess set Harrune says, "I believe I know this variant well enough to play." Harrune will settle in to play.*

"As for the larger game, it is true that our information is far from perfect. Even worse, it would appear that our adversary has more knowledge than we have at the moment. That places us at a considerable disadvantage. I intend to try to gather more the next time I walk the Pattern. Our opponent may have more knowledge, but we have tools that it does not."

"As to its objective, I believe we have at least some insight into that. It has unified one shadow. It is spreading to others and would appear to be reshaping them in its own image. It would seem to be intent on spreading as far as it can and making all it touches its own. Negotiation may succeed if it is willing to constrain itself within boundaries. ...or if there is a limit to how far it can spread. The fact that it already has contact here inclines me to believe that no such limit exists, but I cannot say that for a certainty. Perhaps Cameron can give us better insights."

* Harrune starts out playing conservatively. Anyone with at least a low ranking in Warfare will be able to discern that he has a deeper plan to his game.
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam will take up the role of referee, using an illusion spell to fill in grey fog or illusions of enemy pieces as appropriate.
kitsunenotsume
Missing Some Marbles

Post by kitsunenotsume »

Caeulund has no such reservations, and while he clearly holding back his strategy is one of aggressive expansion, focusing on revealing as much of the board as possible without intentionally risking pieces*.

"As you describe it, this 'Theotropolis' is effectively an extra-planar magical Borg; a Grey-Goo of cosmic proportions; a sentient cancer on the scale of worlds. It's modus operandi could be either one of consistency or extreme variability depending on whether it accrues experiences and capabilities through interaction or absorption. It may have a few simple tricks that it has optimized to the power and capabilities of the constituent multitide, or it may have an entire arsenal of captured tactics which it has an opportunity to hone and expand while we discuss matters."

"And yet it clearly has a depth and subtlety. It understands that a willing conquest is less trouble than a recalcitrant one, so it sends a diplomat - a herald of its rising sun to sway the masses into empowering it and providing willing hosts for the subatoma that permit projection of force."
The statement is accompanied by a bishop being moved in front of one of Harrune's pawns.

"The maneuver is an admirable one, as if the diplomat is rejected, a claim of grievance may be made and assault forces brought to bear with a knowledge of the opponent's tactics. If the diplomat is accepted, it limits maneuverability, provides a position of observation and support, and distracts from other theaters of conflict. Against an opponent who has clearly never known a lasting defeat and who's resources are unknown and potentially limitless, how would you proceed?"

*: Caelund, too, clearly has a deeper plan to his strategy: it at least partially involves extensive demonstrative metaphors.
Last edited by kitsunenotsume on Tue Apr 19, 2016 2:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Hmmm...has never known a lasting defeat and whose resources are unknown and potentially limitless? Interesting, because that could describe us as well. I will grant you that we haven't known defeat because we have not been truly tested yet. As for resources, anything we need can be found in the shadows, even things that we don't yet know that we need. That is a power I intend to use if diplomacy fails."

Harrune lets a few more moves pass, then while pondering his next move he will charge himself with the power of the Pattern. He will then reach out to Rasanam's illusion that cloaks Caelund's side of the board, dispelling with it a touch. He then uses his queen to capture a newly exposed piece. Then the same with a rook, a pawn, a knight, the other rook, a bishop, taking six moves in a row.

He looks at Caelund's and Rasanam's reactions. "Is something amiss? Ah, I see, we have a bit of a misunderstanding here. While I said that I believed I understood the rules of this variant, we never clarified and I never actually agreed to play by those rules. We have no formal rule of engagement with this adversary and if we assume otherwise we court disaster. While it could be said that we are fighting for the fate of all of reality, I find that too large a concept to fully grasp. Instead, I will focus on the fact that I am fighting to defend my family, my home and my friends. I will do what I must to protect them."

"I may lack your subtlety in metaphor, but I believe I have made a few points here. First, we can use the power of the Pattern so see far more of the board than we do now. When one stands in the center of the Pattern one can look see through the shadows. I intend to use that to learn about our adversary. It is a very fatiguing process, but it can be a great advantage to us."

"Second, the Pattern gives us a level of mobility our adversary can't match. The Trump decks give us more options in that regard as well. And while we can't match our opponent's level of communication, the Trump cards help to narrow that gap. That will allow us to coordinate strikes from more than one direction at a time if that is what the situation calls for."

"Third, if it comes to battle I intend to hit hard and fast. A war of attrition is not in our best interest. We need to place our adversary on the defensive and destroy its ability to make war decisively."

Harrune grins ruefully. "Well that's the grand plan any way. Now it's just a question of working out the details."