07.13k: Of Moats and Marionettes

The goings on of courts
khadjair
Lunatic

07.13k: Of Moats and Marionettes

Post by khadjair »

((Loosely continued from here))
Even if Cameron felt himself at all fashionable, he would admit he was beyond fashionably late. having grabbed something to drink on the way, he will arrive with Father Stormroar accompanying him - though as a chaperone, a companion or a guest is difficult to tell from his demeanor. He has ditched his satchel for something more folio-like tucked under one arm, and the crisp military sensibilities of his garb are somewhat striking compared to his usual demeanor.

He takes a long look around the entertainments as thay walk in, leaning closer to Father Stormroar. "I suspect news of my arrival will soon get to all those who were waiting. Either way, we should keep a watch out for them. In the meantime, care for a drink?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.13k: Of Moats and Marionettes

Post by Joshua »

Min, the older minotaur, will shake his head. "It is okay. I'm your backup tonight." He will smile at the smaller orc. "I've attended minotaur courts* before, so, I should be able to handle this." He pats Cameron on the head. "If you think they'll find you, then we should pick our territory." He will ponder briefly, then turn to one of the many servers and organizers. "Might we trouble you for a semi-private table? Cameron has a few meetings with the other amberites and should not be overheard."

The elf** server will nod and lead the two of them to one of the floating platforms. It's not completely enclosed, by hanging vines, but they do offer some minor level of separation from the rest of the party. The platform itself takes a water-fall from an above platform, channels the water along a series of groves along the outside of the platform and drops it into a fountain about fifteen feet below. This gives a tile meeting area in the center with a breakfast-sized table and a number of built-in concrete stools.

After a short discussion, the elf will run off to retrieve a drink for Cameron.
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron sits back, glad for the whirl of people around for once, though still glad for the relative privacy of the terrace seat. He'll wait for a drink to come before speaking.

"I'm not certain if what I've done is a good idea or an abysmally bad one. But at least we have a lot more information than we had. Thank you for alerting us all to Lane's connection with.." he gives a look about for a moment, thinking of the right words. "the other one."

He takes a sip and closes his eyes, drawing a breath then relaxing, adopting a less frazzled exterior, tryign to present confidence and bearing. "And when the others arrive, I'd like you to stay. You were in this side of things from the beginning; it's only fair you be there as it plays out. That and I can always use your advice. I swear, between you and Osmund, I think I might actually be able to pull this off."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: People finally start posting again and others are on vacation with families... Bleh. ^_^ _

Oberon will be the first to walk over, flanked by one or more PCs*...

He'll settle onto one of the chairs. "So, how did it go?"

Post by khadjair »

Cameron stands as Oberon (and others) approach, then takes his seat again, pulling out his notes and laying them out.

"Well, it went... better than I'd dared hope, to be honest. Thetropolis is *definitely* sentient, and is worried that war will come between it and Amber. But it also fears Pattern, and wonders if Pattern is aware, or controls Amber. I was.. cagey about these things. But I came across a bit of a potential compromise, or at least a reason for continued discussion."

"As it turns out, it's willing to enter into a mutual defense pact of sorts, but in exchange it wants to spread through a number of Shadows. As it says, to act like a moat around Amber out in Shadow. I stopped short of saying yes, but I did think it was an idea worth hearing out and negotiating. At the very least, it would give us time to strengthen Amber before any future conflict. And give us an important ally should the others from deep Shadow that we are certain are coming should attack. Or at the very least, an early warning signal..."

He gestures to his notes. "They're in shorthand, but I transcribed almsot the entire conversation, and I'll make it available to review. It understands that while I spoke for Amber this time, others may do so later. I still think there's some trouble with it recognizing somethign other than a living city as self-aware and sentient, but there's enough commonality that we could communicate meaningfully. I think."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam approaches (( from here )), and listens.

"Hm. An interesting notion, but I do wonder what the cost of such expansion would be - what happens to the planes that are in its path, and, more importantly, the people living in them?"
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

"It's an open question. It's why I didn't agree to anything; the thought of people having their free will torn away doesn't sit well, even if it would be a boon to our defense." He takes a sip from his drink and looks over his notes scattered about.

"What really troubles me, though... Encirclement can very easily go from a defensive formation to a siege tactic, and Thetropolis seemed to at times be looking for weakness. I hope that with my transcript we can go over it all and make sure that I didn't accidentally promise more than we're willing to give."
Rasanam
Lunatic

Post by Rasanam »

Rasanam nods. "I wonder if it even can stop expanding? It's all too easy to, for example, end up with a non-sustainable economic model built on continual conquest to acquire resources."

He looks over at Min, "As I understand it, you had a long discussion with Llane about his philosophy? How important would you guess continuous expansion is to this... 'Theotropolis'?"

"As for it looking for weakness... I'd be happy to take a look over your notes, but I think maybe Harrune would be better suited to puzzling out subtle diplomacy?"
khadjair
Lunatic

Post by khadjair »

Cameron nods. "In all honesty, I couldn't tell, though nothign indicates it as strongly likely. Though it does seem to have a feeling of being more.. imperially minded, after a fashion. So while it may not *need* to expand, it certainly *wants* to."

He takes a seat finally, and pushes his notes to the table. "I've got them there. Annotated with what I was thinking at the time as well. I'll make them freely available to all those who govern in any aspect in Amber." This last makes it clear he doesn't intend to share this with Odin or other similar forces.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon will skim through the notes. "It is interesting that it seems to be a sentient shadow. Or city... or both. I suppose if it's that large. That's consistent with Harrune's experiences, if I recall. This thing absorbs nearby shadows and rebuilds them in its image, near identical duplicates that all help extend the original. I suspect it would not stop until it's just us and it. Unless there is another way to fight it. Or reason with it... Our only defense would be... as Alys calls it, Greater Powers. And the fact it seems to have to go one shadow at a time. Perhaps we could use that... fight back at its fringes to weaken the whole."

He ponders... "I don't like it. I don't like it at all."