07.13j: Standing Stones

The goings on of courts
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Re: 07.13j: Standing Stones

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

"Maybe I'm not as good at riddles as I thought I was. Maybe I just don't have enough knowledge of places beyond my home realm yet to properly answer...but I'm still partial to Amber as my final answer. If the questions don't get easier from here my time might be better spent just throwing in the towel and going to pick Odin's brain. The Abyss actually sounds fascinating. With so many shadows out there, it's hard to imagine anything that does not exist. I actually wonder if the Abyss itself fits the riddle."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Oh, the riches were real enough," Alys replies to Aibne. "A competent diver could find concepts, devices, creatures, or even people that matched some specific intent - and Amber itself shows the sort of power and prestige that ability can bring."

To Lyra, she simply nods, "There is a reason I brought it up."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Cassandra will look around. "Uh, I actually don't know the intended answer. I think there are a few... I'll... have to check afterwards." She will look around, "So, who is next?"

Thankfully the odd goblin has not managed to get back in.

The next riddle, is from a brownie. "Two children, who were all tangled up in their reckoning of the days of the week, paused on their way to school to straighten matters out. "When the day after tomorrow is yesterday," she says, "then 'today' will be as far from Sunday as that day was which was 'today' when the day before yesterday was tomorrow!"
On which day of the week did this puzzling prattle occur?"

Unfortunately, OOC, anyone with Amber level psyche won't have much trouble with this. Did I mention Amberites are not allowed to score in the game? Not that you can't play... just, it's way unfair to the others.
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The big bear listened to the riddle, thinking a little, before frowning. He turned to Alys, rubbing the back of his neck. "Ah, um, can I ask a favor, Alys? I"d like you to act as an intermediary... there's, uh, something serious I need to talk to Odin about, and, well, uh, you... uh..." He drops off to a mumble, looking at his feet, muttering something about 'inter-shadow incident'.
ShadowOfPreservation
Lunatic

Post by ShadowOfPreservation »

Lyra looks deep in thought for some time, mentally calculating days of the week. "Wordplay AND mathematics...I get the 3 day time span between both 'the day before yesterday until tomorrow' and 'yesterday until the day after tomorrow' but I get a little lost after that. To be perfectly equidistant from Sunday that's Wednesday midnight/Thursday morning isn't it? But that doesn't fit with kids travelling to school. I think I'm missing something or over thinking this."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys turns to Aibne, ignoring both the riddle and Lyra's response to it. "You seem to be reasonably competent with words... still, what do you need?"
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

"I have, uh, concerns. I mean, with my new title, and position, and, I, I just..." he frowns a little and taps his fingers. "I don't know how the Clans work, and what might be taken for a sign of weakness, or an over aggressive position, and I'm not a, a, a, diplomat, and I was..." He starts fretting, rubbing his chin. "I don't want to be responsible for a war. Diplomacy would be better. And I think I have the power to set up a proper embassy, but I want... someone who knows how they work to help me not do something stupid?" He winces a little at that.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Ah." Alys nods, "Yes, I can help with some of that. But I expect you would find it more useful to speak with Odin yourself - at least at the start. Lay out what you wish to accomplish, in whatever terms make the most sense to you - he is, after all, a diplomat of Chaos; if he finds your approach to diplomacy to be... inexplicably foreign to his viewpoint, he is more than capable of adjusting that viewpoint as needed."
Draylen
Lunatic

Post by Draylen »

The bear grumbles at that. "Yeah, right. I remember. Wish I would do that." The dark shadow of jealousy crosses his face for a moment, before he shakes his head, clearing his thoughts. He takes a deep breath, closing his eyes, nodding slightly. "I'm sure we can work something out," he says after a moment. "I need to properly meet all of the other amberites, too... but that can wait, for a time. With me, milady?" he asks, offering his arm.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys looks at the proffered arm as if Aibne were holding out a nest of vipers*, but then accepts it and follows along with the bear. "Very well."

_____
* This comparison is actually quite unfair to the vipers; mere venomous snakes she wouldn't mind at all. Also note that this is a momentary reaction, and likely to be missed by those that don't have ranked psyche.