07.13f: Meet and Greet

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.13f: Meet and Greet

Post by misfit »

Harrune cocks his head. "I find that curious. I've heard others say that getting to Amber is difficult, but the evidence of my eyes would seem to contradict that. Over the course of seven years, the city has grown very rapidly and what you see here isn't even all of the people who have made it to Amber. We've had people leave and not return and sadly we have had fatalities. Granted, some of the arrivals have been brought in by other people, in fact we have people who routinely travel back and forth. Very few, if any, left their homes with Amber as a clearly defined goal of their journey. Most just seem to end up here. I suspect most would say that it is due to the Pattern, but everyone arrives here before they walk the Pattern, and the great majority of those who do arrive lack the potential to successfully walk the Pattern."

"If Logrus is an equivalent power to Pattern, then it seems that one skilled in Logrus should be able to go where someone who has at best a tenuous connection to the Pattern can go. Perhaps it might be a bit more difficult, but that would just require finding a knack for it. I would assume that as one got closer it would be more noticeable, not less so. I do not know if Dworkin brought you here or if you made the journey on your own, but now that you know the way I suspect you could come and go at will."

"So, to use your analogy, the board has changed. Those on your side are scrambling to re-position their pieces and learn the new layout of the board. As that happens we can expect more visitors. This does seem a bad time in the game to boldly attack an unknown foe. I think that is far more likely to buy us time that any difficulty in reaching us."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Perhaps like that board..." He will point at a Chinese Chess variant being played nearby. "That has a river in the middle that some pieces can cross and others cannot. It also has a fortress, that the king cannot leave, and that enhances movement of the pieces that live there."

He will think. "I suspect that pattern is stronger near the pattern. Although, the shadows also seem more real, so it may not feel that way."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Well this is getting rather theoretical and abstract for me. I tend to be a more practical than metaphysical sort. I am trying to broaden myself in that regard, but it will be a long road I fear. That having been said, I think it would make sense for Pattern to work best close to its source, or focus, or whatever Amber truly is. Just as I would expect this Logrus to be stronger near...Chaos was the name, yes? And would the shadows not be more 'real' new Chaos as well? ...and weaker in the middle?"

"And I don't understand what everyone means when they say 'real'. If something exists, then it 'real'. I fail to see how one thing that exists can be any more 'real' than another."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"There are a few practical applications to realness." Odin will explain. "Real power has... affan over shadow power. Shadow magic and sorcery is instantly obliterated by real power. Real things have an inertia that can stop such manipulations, or at least, slow them down. A shadow can be altered and changed by real power. In some ways the entire universe can be edited or summoned, created or destroyed. That is what we mean by real. This place has too much of that inertia to be destroyed that way."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Hmmm...I think I begin to understand. I will have to give this a great deal of thought."

"So, we seem to have strayed far from our original topic. I believe that we set out to discuss alliances. I am certainly amenable to that idea. Did you have anything specific in mind or just testing the waters?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Unfortunately, I have little to offer in terms of a lasting alliance. Still, there is a small group that believes that Dworkin should not be punished and that his actions will spur us to greater evolution." Odin will ponder a new game. "Perhaps, that is all there is. An unknown stronger at its pole then we are. Something we cannot simply invade and must deal with."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune smiles. "Well I did not expect any great alliances to come of this little chat. Things are still too new and we are still sorting out what we have to off and what we need. At least we have established communication and laid the groundwork for more in the future. That is a fairly major accomplishment in its own right. While we don't have a formal ambassador post, I am always open to discussion and negotiation. From what you have said I doubt that it is advisable for one of us to visit your home, so it is good that you have made your way here."

He gestures at the board. "Another round? Or a different game? Or would you prefer to mingle with others?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Another round perhaps." He ponders the game again... and visibly relaxes about it... No, not relax, just lets go of something. "I suspect your abilities would work poorly where I am from. Although, that's hard to say. As for a visit, that's up to you. We are having a massive civil war. Maybe it's over... Somehow I doubt it."

"So, onto some other communications... Have you noticed any changes in yourself after your... uh... patternwalk? I suspect someone has mentioned the... instability that my home-power causes."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Harrune begins to set the board up again.

"Hmmm...changes? I've walked this Pattern more than once. The first seemed to have made some changes. I was physically stronger, didn't tire as quickly and my senses seemed sharper. It seemed to...enhance me. Or maybe it just unlocked potential I never knew was there. The subsequent walks didn't make a change that I have noticed."*

"As for the other two Patterns, I haven't had time to know if they have made a difference. Time will tell."

"I cannot speak for the others. There have been too few of us, and even fewer that I was able to compare before and after. Perhaps you could ask Krajk as you are already familiar with him. Perhaps I should keep an eye on this Spellbinder. It might be educational."

*Odin may (or may not) notice that Harrune is holding something back there. He's not outright lying, just not saying everything that he could.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

THAT got Odin to wince, a crack forming in his nonchalance. "More... Than... Once...?" He will stammer. "What possible purpose would you have to... I mean, whatever issues might happen would be multiplied... No one guides you? For us, the ..." He will look around and lower his voice, "The serpent doesn't guide the same person twice."