XP Rules and Tally

Rules questions, useful links, and the like.
Joshua
Gibbering

XP Rules and Tally

Post by Joshua »

Gaining XP:
So, a base character in the game is 100 points. You can get up to 110 with bad stuff, but that's it. So, how do you get better?

Normal XP:
First, I will start awarding experience every major scene or so. Experience (real experience) spends exactly like the base 100 points you had. You can increase attributes, buy off bad stuff, or pay for new powers. All you have to do is let me know what you'd like to spend it on. I keep up to date versions of your characters on my computer, and I'll add what you'd like to that. At worst, I'll ask to to justify it IC in some way.
For Example: If you want to purchase Pattern, you will have to actually walk a pattern in game.
Reminder: If you attempt to purchase above the highest level of an attribute, the PC who currently holds that spot gets a chance to match you.

You may deficit spend slightly. Gaining a 5 point upgrade to a power due to experimentation, then paying for it when xp is awarded is allowed, and most powers have "explanations built into them" for this.

Catchup XP:
If you are behind the other players in XP, you get a base 50% bonus to your XP until you catch up. So, if the game gets 4, you get 6. This represents the 'sink or swim' mentality in Amber. If the game goes on long enough, I may change the base point total from 100.

Bonus Points (BP):
I was thinking about a way to reward exceptional players. I have decided they get added say in the game-world. If I don't care what an NPC is, then why not allow an active player to deal with it?

BP is similar to XP with the following main differences:
  • BP is awarded to individual players for being active (the main requirement) and doing stuff that's interesting. (Read: Contributing to the game as a whole.)
  • That is players. If said player has multiple PCs, he/she must pick a character to award the BP to. This does not actually have to happen until the BP are spent.
  • BP may only be spent on allies, items, creatures or shadows. (This includes Constructs.)
  • XP represents a permanent claim to said item. BP gives about half a claim.
    As a reminder, you can get this stuff without paying any points at all through various means.
  • The amount of BP you have MAY affect your ability to deficit spend on powers.
  • Unlike XP, if said item or shadow is lost, BP is not refunded.
    However, if you "upgrade" the item by paying real XP for it, you get the BP back.
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: XP Rules and Tally

Post by Joshua »

As of: 07.04: Tuesday Festival (meaning when you're done with your scene and join in the next day you get this...) If you wish to spend XP, just pm, IM, or e-mail me.

XP: +2 for everyone.
"Built as PC" NPCs gain this xp. Dworkin does not.

BP: I will be awarding in private. As a reminder, you can only spend BP on things you can acquire for free with pattern and other powers. There is a benefit to having it on your character sheet however, and BP gives about 1/2 the claim normal XP does.
BP is currently being awarded to those who created additional back-story and helped make the npcs. I would like to award some BP for getting new players into the game.
Important: If you contributed to the game and I missed it, just let me know. Cause, I do miss things. Alternately, poke Wyvern (Alys' player, most of you have his IM info) and have him poke me.
The most BP earned currently: +1
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

As of: 07.08: Wednesday Daytime. If you wish to spend XP, just pm, IM, or e-mail me.

XP: +4 for everyone, 6 total. (Due to the +50% catchup XP, if you are active, you have 6xp total now.)

BP: I will be awarding in private over the next few days.
Important: If you contributed to the game and I missed it, just let me know. Cause, I do miss things. Alternately, poke Wyvern (Alys' player, most of you have his IM info) and have him poke me.
The most BP earned currently: +3 this round, +4 total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

As of: 07.11: Thursday Daytime. If you wish to spend XP, just pm, IM, or e-mail me. I seem to be missing any xp expenditures actually.

XP: +5 for everyone who is active*, 11 Maximum.
(+50% catchup XP: +2, for 7 this round. So, if you joined after the last round of XP, you should have 7 total.)

BP: I will be awarding in private over the next few days.
The most BP earned currently: +2 this round, 6 Maximum.
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

As of: 07.14: Friday Daytime. If you wish to spend XP, just pm, IM, or e-mail me. I seem to be missing any xp expenditures actually.

XP: +5 for everyone who is active or wishes to rejoin the game, 16 Maximum.
(+50% catchup XP: +2, for 7 this round. So, if you joined after the last round of XP, you should have 7 total.)

BP: +5 to basically everyone. Most people have spent the first half of the festival making contacts. You may buy some of them.
The most BP earned currently: 11 Maximum.