rules questions...

Discussion about the game: rules, character descriptions, questions, etc
Michael
Needs a Guide

Re: rules questions...

Post by Michael »

a lot of powers are kinda pointless, just look at animalism for instance. But i think that the writers were looking for a Fight/Flight hybrid form. atleast thats how i interpreted it.
duncan
Needs a Guide

Post by duncan »

Yeah, I also disagree with their rewrite of animalism. Old-school animalism was just barely worth its cost, with quell being a useful combat power (which could work similarly to nightmare in current edition) and the advanced power which could cause frenzy. But, you buy animalism knowing it's going to suck.

I guess the ability to buy extra forms makes up for it, you can just buy an extra form which is capable of combat. It's just sad to think that the wolf form is inferior to, say, the common dog listed in the books.
Daemon Blacknight
Mostly Sane

Post by Daemon Blacknight »

i dont think there are any "out of the box" combat forms in the new setting.
duncan
Needs a Guide

Post by duncan »

There really aren't many full body transforms in the new system to speak of. I have noticed some powers such as Bloodworking that give armor and weapons, similar to wolf claws and some devotions. The main difference is these transforms can also be used/combined with mundane weaponry and armor for the most part, as well as all disciplines whereas SotB is much more restrictive. I can live with it, I was just pointing it out, and seeing what exactly their rules mean...

I still think it should modify acting speed (as species factor).
Colin
Mostly Sane

Post by Colin »

I believe Sublunario (the bloodline discipline of the Dead Wolves Gangrel bloodline out of Shadows of Mexico), has a devotion with Protean that is sort of a combat form. Turns you into a wolf-man.
Daemon Blacknight
Mostly Sane

Post by Daemon Blacknight »

its "combat" usefullness is comparable to shape of the beast in the new system. also keep in mind that even though where not useing it the larp book clearly says no martial arts while shapeshifted.
Michael
Needs a Guide

Post by Michael »

Its "combat" usefullness is comparable to shape of the beast in the new system. also keep in mind that even though where not useing it the larp book clearly says no martial arts while shapeshifted.
What, no Ninja werewolves? damn there goes my next char idea...
duncan
Needs a Guide

Post by duncan »

"no martial arts while shapeshifted."
Obviously :| All said, it's +1 die, does lethal, and can't use combat styles. It's slightly better than being totally unarmed unless you have an unarmed fighting style, or perhaps a discipline which does agg... like Protean 3... In which case it's actually worse. Fighting with any weapon is clearly better.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

I don't have my books with me. But it seems the the wolf form has other benefits. Scents are important, and very useful. Scaring others is useful, and a wolf pack tearing someone apart is not technically a Masquerade breech. Wolves are better runners than humans, (not sure if that's in the power or not.)

Other intangible benefits do occur if you have animalism, or want to blend in with wolves. Plus, being able to take on other forms is useful.

You can use Feral Claws with Wolf form to have a wolf that deals agg.