07.08g: Elements of Tea

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

07.08g: Elements of Tea

Post by Joshua »

While the snow outside is cold and bright, inside, the light is diffused by several layers of thick paper murals, whose colored light plays among the layers to create an ever shifting display. Several tiers of boxed seating are set around the square center chamber balconies designed to give a view of the sport below. The lower tiers are setup for kneeling patrons to be served tea, the above tiers have more western style seating.

Below is a sparse rock and tree garden, with a tiny water-feature... Amid the pristine setting, a blindfolded raccoon-dog rests in the center, wearing white robes. Towards each of the 4 corners, rests a go-board and an opponent. To the north, is a man in black robes, playing black pieces against the white tanuki in the center. To the south, a red clad man plays against the white pieces of the tanuki. To the west, a blue clad lady, and to the east, a green robbed man all compete against the center, using their own colors.

Quin has selected a first tier room and will recline in a show that is overly casual, yet does not seem disrespectful. He has requested a very specific server, Lady Nia, which caused the host to start and state she will be called for.

"I hope this is to your liking. The tea here is well known for both flavor and ceremony."
Tor'Salen
Mostly Sane

Re: 07.08g: Elements of Tea

Post by Tor'Salen »

Lanara: "Kind of homey."

Darmascus: "This will do. The Tanuki, if I may ask. What is his story?" Looking down at the match.
Jocas
Mostly Sane

Post by Jocas »

Celeste settles herself gracefully - either she's visited a similar culture before, or is a very quick study. Or possibly both.

At least for the moment, though, she's listening rather than talking. Besides, it would be rude to interrupt when she doesn't have an answer for Darmascus' question.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

There are stories of what someone with a ridiculous dexterity look like when they move. Your waitress, Lady Nia, puts them to shame. There is no wasted motion, as she places out the tea cups you get the impression she could do the same by casually tossing them over her shoulder. (again, most people with amber strength can do similar with enough practice.) She wears a complex dragon kimono, that seems to tell the story of a battle between it and a phoenix as she moves and the fabric shifts. Her hair is dark, tied in a bun at the top of her head and she wears ceremonial white and black face makeup.

She answers your question, regardless of if she arrives before or after you ask it. "Anriki is the current go champion. As void, he faces the four elements in a ritual game. They are all playing to win, but he is favored in the odds. He would do better with the blindfold off, but such telepathy would be unseemly for a charity game. Unfortunately, the betting is now closed. The games are too far along."

She then lays an assortment to dried tea and flavoring herbs in front of her. "Quin, it is good to see you again. I hope your exploits this afternoon will be... more civil than our last meeting."

The jester smiles, dumpy face and heavy set in his ill-fitting suit. "I didn't hear you complain."

She will bow, what little blushing she does hidden under her makeup. "Of course. So... are there any requests? We have a full array of tea, roibos, white, black, oolong, Yunnan, green..." She gestures at various parts of the layout as she discusses them. "I can add almost any flavor, apple, citrus, cocoa... as well as any poison desired. Since only Quin has been here before, I'd prefer to keep the levels non-lethal..."
Tor'Salen
Mostly Sane

Post by Tor'Salen »

Tor having taken proper seating: "I would very much like to challenge Anriki at some point. As for tea, do you have…" Tor goes on to list several rare or obscure flavors - it may not necessarily be obvious (he has a decent poker face), but he's purposely asking for things he thinks they won't have, to see if they recognize the request and recommend alternatives.

Lanara: "I would like you to arrange the following blend for use as a tea: ground orthalanga seeds, tetterwort leaves, dried berries from lily of the valley, a light bit of foxglove petal, the leaves of the greater celandine, passion flower, and bittersweet nightshade. If you would be so kind as to grate a little bit of the mushroom Trogia venenata on the top and sweeten with honey made from the nectar of yellow jessamine, I would be most appreciative."
Last edited by Tor'Salen on Wed Apr 03, 2013 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Lady Nia will explain to Tor, "I ask forgiveness, we do not have that. However, if you wish... May I suggest that you may get the same effects and similar depth of flavor from this blend?" She offers a few dried herbs and teas for him to examine, naming each one and the general effect.

She will look at Quin at Lanara's question but he will nod. Then she offer a similar explanation to the naga, although this is a description of freshness and preparation method. She suggests amounts that blend to an interesting tea, and is willing to adjust strength if desired.

For Quin, she prepares a white tea, with almost a dozen different flavorings. He offers no actual request or word for this.

Finally, she turns to Celeste, "Mi'Lady, what would you like... I can prepare an experience if you wish to name a few words. Two of my recent ones was a request for 'acceptance' and a 'blue sky'. Although is you simply wish something soothing or strong, I can also do that." This will lead to a minute long discussion of tastes and desires... resulting in a very personalized cup of tea.
Jocas
Mostly Sane

Post by Jocas »

Celeste cocks her head in thought for a moment, and then answers, "Amber." (Followed by the aforementioned discussion of tastes and desires, which likely dances around topics such as current events in Amber, the mood of the city, politics, etc., without ever actually not being about preparing a cup of tea.)
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Lady Nia will nod to Celeste. What follows is an 'impossible tea' that uses fresh ingredients that can only ripen at different times of the year and in different climates. It has a soothing aroma that clashes/compliments with a slightly energetic taste (with just a hint of bitter). There is a bit of floral tones with some salt and after it's done, a touch of tingling spice kicks in.

The other teas are similarly complex, all done around the same time despite Celeste's needing 5 minutes to brew and Quin's only needing about 45 seconds. Each tea has it's own pot with enough for 4 small servings. Lady Nia will vanish at some point when you're not looking (or at least very discretely bow out). She does leave some of her setup at the table.

Oh yes, the china the tea is served in is exquisite... a mix of soft flowers and harsh battle worked expertly into the ceramic itself.
Tor'Salen
Mostly Sane

Post by Tor'Salen »

Tor drinks his tea quietly in contemplation for a bit.

Lanara's tail rattles slightly after she drinks her tea for a bit: "That's some good tea. So Quin, simple question, been asked before, festivities for today, what sort are they? Dunking for poison apples? Archery contests? Kissing booths? Plays? Musicals? Orgies?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin nods, "Tor, Lady Nia heard your question, she'll let you know."

He addresses Lanara, "It is light hearted, so no poison or killing or sex. Although that can be found if you look in the right places, they are not officially part of the ceremony. During the day, the children play in the snow. There are many plays and some jousting. The archery is dampened by the cold, but still occurs. The culture here is a little weak, still imported from many places but not distinctive of itself. Dworkin had commissioned a play about the origin of Amber, but did not like the results. I think Darnell might be working on one."

He will continue a basic explanation of the festival and the rulers it commemorates. He will gloss over the pattern, merely stating that the rulers are chosen. He will not deny it if it's asked though.