07.08d: Pattern vs The Shapeshifting Demon of Chaos

The goings on of courts
Veyska
Lunatic

Re: 07.08d: Pattern vs The Shapeshifting Demon of Chaos

Post by Veyska »

Asai slips in quietly a few moments after Alys. Her path meanders a bit, as if she can't quite decide which chair is Just Right. Seemingly by coincidence she passes by Sadie, bumping into her as she does so. She mutters an apology and then a stride later peers at the ground and turns around, holding a tightly rolled piece of paper*. "Here, I think you lost this," she says, and hands Sadie the scrap. She continues on before settling down in a coiled bundle on an apparently random chair and to all appearances going to sleep.

* Written on the paper is the following - "Yes, we must, indeed, all hang together, or most assuredly we shall all hang separately. -Benjamin Franklin" ((link))

((Asai isn't being blatantly obvious in her actions, but she's not trying overly hard to conceal them either. No snarky voice or hammy acting either when she hands Sadie the paper, just a faintly sardonic expression.))
Jocas
Mostly Sane

Post by Jocas »

Jocas - who had been stoically ignoring the whole discussion about Oberon's actions - looks up at Alys' introduction. Then he puts down the spring he'd been working on and offers a hearty handshake.

"Jocas."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie looks at the paper looks at Asai in contemplation, looks back at the paper, rolls it up, and with a heavy sigh, she pockets it shaking her head.
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin and the other NPCs will arrive about now.

Dworkin will walk over to the judge's booth. "I suppose we have enough here to start. I am not sure what is desired, I figure this will be between a trial and public interrogation. We have some options as to where to go, but please, feel free to make sure we get the answers that you need. Did anyone wish to offer statements before we make the accusations?"

(OOC: don't say "yes" just make the statement...)
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall comes bustling in about now. He sees that things seem to be starting and quickly grabs any empty seat he can find.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin will stand up. "I've mentioned this to some of you, but I'd like to state again... I am not here as a representative of the full Clans of Chaos. My handler was not supposed to enter Amber, and was to report back to his clan if I went native or was killed. He was not acting under my orders, nor do I believe that he had Chaos' best interest at heart. However, we will see... I do wish to know that."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I suppose simply condemning him to death won't give that. He did, after all, impersonate an Amberite." Dworkin will observe. He will nod to Sadie, "Thank you for your actions in retrieving the trump. They are most difficult to find in shadow."

He will sit down at the judge's box and pull out a trump-sketch of Oagthack. In a few moments, the water-demon is sitting in the witness stand.

"Oagthack of the Demon Clan, you stand accused of..." Dworkin will pause and rummage through the sketchpad he pulled the trump sketch out of... "Impersonating an Amberite, conspiring with an unknown entity against Pattern and Chaos, and attempting to steal an artifact from an Amberite. The punishment for all three is death. I don't care how you plead, but feel free to do so."

To the court he adds, "Did anyone wish to stand in his defense?"

Oagthack will start to object, but there's a definite impression he knows exactly how screwed he is.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie stands: "I believe an individual has or should have the right to representation in a court of law. Therefore as the court has not provided him with such I offer my services. He also of course has the right to refuse representation if he so desires. I will, however, if he chooses to accept, require a few moments with my client alone."

Turns towards Oagthack with a very serious and stern look on her face. "If you accept my representation, know this, client/lawyer communications are confidential, and if I act as your lawyer I expect you to cooperate with me one hundred and ten percent. If I sense for even a moment you are toying with me, or holding anything back you will be completely, totally and irrevocably on your own. I expect you to give me the whole truth so I can represent your interests to the best of my abilities without fear of misrepresenting you or your case."
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oagthack blinks, "You have got to be kidding me... I'm not going to fall for some call to justice." He will delay a moment, then his eyes will widen slightly... "You're serious." He will look to Dworkin, "She's serious..." The look of desperation on him grows... "What kind of sick madhouse are you running here? Leaving me to be defended by someone with no grasp of court politics?"

Dworkin will lean over, "In his defense Sadie, anything he shares with you, you would want to share with the court. If you hold back, it would make you a co-conspirator. Your other option is to engage my champion to invoke and retain the privilege you are asking for."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys' eyes narrow slightly when Sadie makes her offer... but she relaxes once Oagthack responds. (Aside: this probably isn't a noticeable reaction unless you've got ranked psyche.)