07.08c: The Loneliest Breakfast

The goings on of courts
Sadie
Lunatic

Re: 07.08c: The Loneliest Breakfast

Post by Sadie »

*growls and stands with that angry Sadie look. * "Look Dworkin, we have power, they have power I get that, we get that. But if we lose sight of the little things we become little more than monsters. That's what you are missing."

Starts pacing angrilly, "Our people may not be able to fight them, but they CAN fight THEIR fodder and defend themselves while WE fight their GENERALS. Pawn to Pawn, ect or however you want to look at it."

"Mostly the people our people gives us something worth fighting over, to create a better reality and defend against those that wish to create one of tragedy and horror. Otherwise all we have is war for wars sake, and if that's what we are fighting, war for war, to defend an undefined reality, one where WE look to our people as no more than fodder, then I want no part of it! It is for this reason I create my nation and break from these laws."

Grabbing the briefcase angrily from Priscilla, pulling out a document and throwing the laws of Amber down on the table. "These laws are wholly unacceptable and If I so much as pretend they are anything but a monstrosity, my words are full of little more than the foulest sh*t anyone has smelled anywhere and I deserve to be devoured by the Logrus or whatever. These laws treat the people as less than bugs to be killed on a whimsy. It matters not if Joe was a law abiding, great and loyal citizen to amber who worked hard each day to see to it that amber became a great strong nation. If say Nuall decides he doesn't like his haircut and beheads him, not saying he would mind you, it's not only ok, but the law expressly says it's ok and supports his "right" to do so. Just because we may choose not to do such things does not mean we can't nor reduce our endorsement of such, and does not mean the message is any less clearer, that we don't really give two sh*ts because if we did we wouldn't stand by and support such laws or allow them to exist. I cannot force change on all of Amber, but I can damn well at least attempt to create a nation that gives a shit in Rebma."
Last edited by Sadie on Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

When the dragon appears Nuall is instantly on his feet with his sword drawn and drops into a fight stance. When he gets a good look at the dragon and realizes that it no threat, he will smile sheepishly at Dworkin, sheath his sword with a flourish and sit down again.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin will also respond quickly, in the background, first swearing with a "what the hell is wrong with you Dworkin...?" then immediately offering aid to the dragon in the background as Sadie responds. First invoking a sleep spell, then having his fingers shift into absorbent bandages as he removes the throat piercing. (Automatic shapeshift to help staunch blood-flow?)

The Jester is remarkably good at first aid, invoking several more healing spells. (Although healing magic in general in the setting is weak... he's doing a decent job of it. Those of you with magic may be curious why Quin has so many first-aid spells racked, and may notice he has them racked with several lynchpins suspiciously pre-filled, like "type of creature".)

-----

Dworkin will tilt his head slightly, "Who is stopping you from changing it here?"
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"I am Queen of Rebma not Amber as a whole. It is not my domain, and I'd need to have to follow these disgusting laws to make these changes, with such arbitrary rulings of right such as duals which ignores logic, reason or ethics and lets something as simple and savage as might decide. Whether I can or cannot win does not change the barbarism of it."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"We are not fighting war for war's sake. The enemy is attacking us, so we are fighting to survive. In case you have not noticed, the enemies are already at the gate. They may not be ready to attack in force yet, but the siege has begun. If we do not act to save Amber then nothing else matters. Adding a fresh coating of paint does not save a burning building."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: Dworkin has a response. Along the lines of, "Later today, why don't we talk about what these laws actually mean? You seem to misunderstand." but I would like to give other Players a chance to respond... and a lot has happened...)
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"You miss the point. Not all buildings are worth saving. And if you want to prepare for the enemy you need strength and a good cause. You need to not only stop the fire, but fortify and protect the building so it is not so easily set ablaze again. If you lack a fire department you build one. Something to keep you and others going long after some of us have already died."

"You talk a good game about war, but completely forget one of it's most important factors and assets, morale. Survival for it's own sake is a short lived motivator without something worth actually living for. And when surviving is no longer an option, and all that's left is to fight so that others may succeed it will become a hindrance rather than a help. When and if the time comes, will you fight and die for us, or will you like the true survivalist put your tail between your legs and run? The greatest survivors are often the greatest cowards of us all. You keep talking about things like responsibility and not having it. Well get it, learn to be more than just a survivor, because as long as that's all you care about there's no telling what you might do in the end. The universe is filled with traitors who wanted nothing more than to survive. I want to believe better of you, I want to see you rise above such base motivators, to become something more."
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys moves to try to help Quin - but returns to the table when it becomes clear there's nothing she can do other than get in the way.

As Sadie continues to talk, however, Alys' expression gets increasingly annoyed... eventually shifting to a very dangerous calm.

"So, since you bring up morale... fine. Let's talk about morale. Which does more for it - knowing your lords could destroy you on a whim, but that they choose to care about you anyway, or knowing that your lords could destroy you on a whim and that one of those lords was so afraid of that possibility that she's tried to strip everyone else of even the chance to act responsibly?"

Alys shakes her head.
"You have some interesting goals... but every action you've taken this morning has been directly counter to the goals you espouse."
"Yes, let's work together... by splitting off into individual sovereign states."
"Let's limit the potential abuses of power... by taking all power in Rebma into yourself; even if you would never deliberately abuse that, what happens if you are killed or dominated, as you almost were last evening?"
"Let's end the current state of fractured local laws... by making yet another radically different set of local laws."

"As for your example... No, of course it wouldn't be okay to randomly execute people. And you know what? That's already in Dworkin's laws." Alys looks around the room. "How many of us would challenge someone who tried to abuse their power? I certainly would."

"And, right now, you are getting dangerously close to abusing your power. People will tend to conform to expectations - and if you re-found Rebma on this paranoid belief that everyone will abuse whatever power they are given... well. Do not be surprised when your people follow your example."

OOC Edit: This post was largely based on the original form of the declaration; as noted here, the revised version addresses most of the issues Alys brought up.
Last edited by Wyvern on Fri Mar 08, 2013 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

At the phrase "splitting off into individual sovereign states", Nuall's eyebrows shoot up. He scoops up a copy of the constitution and starts reading very, very quickly.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

When the dragon appears, Solten swears, and leaps to his feet, pulling the long dagger free in the process. Upon landing, he realized the state the dragon's in, and while returning the dagger, gives a momentary heartless smile. It's quickly wiped as he shoots a glare at Dworkin and sits back down.

---
(OOC: I hate politics. So much so that I actively try to not hear about what's going on the White House. So I've been playing this as a "Solten follows along but doesn't have any desire to get actively involved" kind of thing so I can personally stay out of the details. Hopefully that will continue to work out, though conversations like this one make it difficult.)

As the conversation turns more and more into an argument, Solten stands up and makes his way over to Sadie. He does his best to both show support for her, but also whisper in her ear and try to take things down a notch. Swearing at Dworkin is likely not the best approach, especially while he's calling dragons from thin air... It's not fully clear if he has his own opinion on the best part to morality or not. But he's also not blindly devoted to Sadie's proposal. So far he just isn't saying much.
Solten