07.08b School Field Trip

The goings on of courts
Veyska
Lunatic

Re: 07.08b School Field Trip

Post by Veyska »

"Shapeshifting your personality... I've run into numerous books whose ideas, initially external to myself until taken in, were so engrossing I would forget the world around me until it brought itself back to my attention. Figuratively engulfed by the idea, if you would. Literally changing one's mind seems to me like it would be even more prone to 'engulfing' than what words might spawn, if nothing else out of habit or momentum..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"It is a test of psyche, especially if you try to borrow a form stronger than yourself." Odin will nod to Asai.

"For shadows, you have to find a creature capable of walking through shadow and assume it's form and abilities. Such things are rare. I was lucky to run across a being called Ratatoskr, who could walk between worlds... He was the only one that I found who could make it all the way here... Although I hear the unicorn can do so."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"So, if Oberon had the power to walk the shadows Oag would have had that power as well? And what if..." Nuall pauses. "No, that does not make sense. Forgive me, this is all too new and I have much to learn."

(OCC: Asai should be able to pick up that Nuall was about to ask a question and realized it would NOT be a good idea to ask and is just trying to cover that up. Whether Odin catches that is anybody's guess.)
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Pattern, Logrus, and... Trump are real powers. We can't mimic them without having them first. So... Dworkin would probably turn into an Oberon who could use pattern, but I could not." Odin answers. "Also, we don't keep the knowledge as easily. So, while in Oberon's form he could reference something Oberon knew, but it's a lot harder to keep that remembered when we shift back. Most parts of that are a bit of a haze, and writing it down isn't very easy, because Oberon would not write it down."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"So if you had the power to do it, then you would not have the need to do it. Interesting. I would also be curious to know what your combat form is...if it is not too rude to ask."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin explains, "It's a nightmare. Eight legged, carnivorous horse, chitinous barding, spikes... Fairly nasty. But, it can wait until we move along. I'd rather not give the workers here a heart attack."

The worker is probably returning with food about now...
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Shortly the worker returns carrying to large baskets. He is accompanied by four children, roughly 10-13 years old, each carrying a basket as well. To call what they begin to lay out a "picnic" would be an understate. There is beef, chicken, bread, cheese, assorted fruits, nuts, two pies, two bottles of wine, and flasks of beer and milk...and possibly more than that. There are also plates, cups and cutlery. Clearly he went to a nearby inn...and recruited children to help carry everything back.

Nuall looks over the spread, then looks up a the worker and raises on eyebrow. "No pheasant?"

The color drains from the worker's face. He starts to stammer "I'm sorry...I..."

Nuall breaks out laughing. "That was a joke my good man. You have far exceeded my expectations. My thanks to you."

He turns and gestures to Asai and Odin. "My Lady...My Lord...please help yourselves."

Nuall himself only takes a little fruit and some milk.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin observes, "That's a cruel thing for you to do. I know you paid him well, but you disrupted his work, and through that, the work of the others who are working in the quarry. Plus, you have given him a lot of money, how will the others in the work detail fare? Does that make him a target for bandits?" He will sit down and start eating. "Sometimes it's needed, but best to be aware of what might happen."

He smiles, "Of course, it's unlikely your dad would have the man executed in front of you. Mine did, so I guess this world might not be so harsh as where I come from. Said it was my fault for giving him enough money to oppose our rule."

If you observe, the man you selected IS actually sharing the money with his fellow workers with generous tips to the children who helped out. (Yay good stuff.)
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Asai cheerfully samples some of everything provided, seemingly indifferent to Odin's pointed remarks at first. "Not every good action becomes a paving stone in the proverbial 'road to hell' I've heard referenced. Given what comparatively broad strokes we seem to be gifted or cursed with its inevitable there should be some spillover consequences, some of which will likely not be intentional. Be that as it may, forethought can help with many and simple well-meaning can cover a lot of mistakes whether real or perceived." Her outward appearance and behavior don't reflect her thoughtful tone, and she flashes the two men a cheerful grin between bites of cheese. The grin might have had a trace of ruefulness to it, but that have been due to the pungency of the cheese in question (though that doesn't seem to affect her willingness to eat it).

((This isn't a directed jab at anyone, and Asai is including herself in the rather circular and ambiguous rambling.))
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"My Lord Odin, I concede that we have disrupted that good man's work, but it might also be that by doing so we prevented an accident that could have crippled him for life and reduced him to a beggar in the streets. Or he could gamble with that money and win enough to better his life. The possibilities are countless. Have I helped this man, or harmed him? In the long run, one never knows. Worry about every possible consequence would quickly drive a person to madness. The only way to be certain is to never take any action at all. I cannot live my life that way. I will act, and sometimes it will affect other people. Other people will act and sometimes that will affect me. That is the nature of life...or at least that is the nature of life here. Perhaps it is different where you come from."

(OCC: Nuall had been starting to relax, but after Odin's speech his stress levels are going right back up again.)