07.08b School Field Trip

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.08b School Field Trip

Post by Joshua »

"As I said... the last time I showed such charity, my father had the man executed in front of me and his family. It was a cruel lesson. It is refreshing to see a place where such lessons are not needed." Odin will shake his head. "Thankfully, with shapeshifting, it is possible to choose your family to some extent. I changed clans when I could, but some of the old stays with you."
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

"At least my residual habits and mental processes mostly only involve predator/prey reflexes and instincts. I've mostly gotten used to the fact that humans seem to mostly lack them, or have only weak ones, but it's still disconcerting for me at times."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"I am afraid that leaders will always need to be cruel at times. Or at the very least they will be forced to take actions some see as cruelty rather than necessity."

"As to family, I must confess that I never felt that I belonged with my own. I suppose that my arrival in Amber gives me a chance to choose a new 'clan' myself. I have been told that I am of Amber, but I do not feel that I belong there either. Perhaps that will change in time, or perhaps it is merely a stepping stone to where I truly belong...if there is such a place. I suppose that time will tell as they say."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Initiation into power does give you a bond that is strong." Odin shrugs. "Where I'm from, power was only held by one clan at a time... Dworkin seems to have created four courts that have the same power though... not sure why..."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Well, you are much better acquainted with Dworkin than am I. If you cannot guess his motives than I am certain unable to do so. I would suggest asking him for an explanation, but I find his explanations...unhelpful. Perhaps the method to his madness, if there is one, will become apparent in time."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"So... We're here... If you wish to see more of shapeshifting, just ask." Odin says. "My combat form is interesting, although we should step away from this area for that, and I can show you how I shift through shadow..."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall considers for a moment. "Another time perhaps, if that is acceptable to you My Lord. You have given me much to think about already, as has Dworkin. I fear more at this point will serve more to confuse than enlighten. After I have had time to ponder this I will no doubt be ready for more education. Also, I had some private business that I wished to attend to and if I do not get started soon I fear I shall not get to it."

"I trust that the two of you can find your way back without me? If not, then I shall return you to Amber before I depart on my business. And perhaps the Lady Asai would find further demonstrations gratifying? She is after all a greater student than I could ever aspire to be."

Nuall then waits for their replies.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Asai, would you mind... The Trump cards would save me several days travel." Odin looks a little sheepish asking for help like that. "Or I could give you a quick demo before we head back."
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Asai gives Nuall a sideways glance. "In my experience at the university back in my home shadow, I found that the way to become a good student frequently involved learning whenever the opportunity presented itself." She turns her gaze back to Odin. "Be that as it may, I at least am interested in learning more. What little prior experience I had with shapeshifting by and large appears to be irrelevant enough to be a hindrance. There was no mass constraint - larger forms you had to 'pay' to create the extra mass, and smaller forms you had to 'pay' to protect your brain from the consequences of getting shrunk... Pretty sure the university lost at least one headmaster from them forgetting that important fact when trying to shift into a parrot. If someone with the right abilities had caught him first, he'd've been fine if his brain hadn't been scrambled from being shrunk too long, but as the tale goes it was his cat..." A toothy grin, and then she responds to Odin's question. "Certainly. If nothing else because tomorrow morning might well be less interesting otherwise." Another cheerful grin accompanies the last sentence, though with noticeably fewer teeth showing.
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Very well, I shall leave you to it then." Nuall bows deeply and walks away.

He walks over the foreman of the workers and has a quiet discussion with him. He is too far to hear, but if you watch closely he hands the man something, but points at him in a warning gesture. Nuall will then head back down the road towards the city.

The foreman gathers up the workers (and children) and apparently dismisses them all for the day. They quickly clear out of the area leaving Asai and Odin privacy for whatever will follow.

(OCC: I know that Joshua is trying to get on to the meeting with Dworkin. Rather than starting a new thread and going into detail about what Nuall is doing, I will leave it for a flashback (or several) later...if people are interested.)