07.08a: Draconic Affairs

The goings on of courts
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Re: 07.08a: Draconic Affairs

Post by Wyvern »

Alys shrugs. "Your call on the illusion. And, on second thought, it might be useful for me to have someone along with better than a layman's understanding of Sorcery; if there isn't a good opportunity to find a moneychanger for you, I can certainly put things on my tab."

"I can't say... 'ice skating'... is an activity I'm familiar with, no."

Alys has, by this point, sorted out three different outfits (including the aforementioned crimson tunic & matching pants). She ponders them for a moment, before asking, "Which do you think?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"that one..." He has more to say than I do, but I bid 'guy' (or 'butch').

Tim will decide the illusion is a good idea. "Not that the mage guild will appreciate it, but it will be less of an issue on the streets."

And yes, he will swing his coin purse around a little... apparently it's a status symbol. he stops after realizing you don't see it that way but before you realize that's what he's trying to do. It's as practiced as any peacock display you've seen and he gets really embarrassed about it. If that's because you didn't respond or it's not your culture, either way he just looked like a fool.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

It's not so much that Alys doesn't see it as a status symbol... as that she doesn't have the means to respond in kind and has thus chosen to address practical concerns instead; almost all of her current wealth is from Ht'gon's funds, or what Dworkin collected for her - and, er, it's kindof embarrassing to flaunt someone else's wealth. (Well, yeah, so at least some of it really is her wealth now... but it doesn't feel like it yet.) So, likely some degree of awkwardness ensues from all parties.

Consideration on outfit happens; I'm going to assume there's some interesting-to-the-participants discussion on that topic, ending up with the aforementioned crimson tunic because it's the only item that's gotten any description at all. Tim may have some reaction to the number of weapons that end up going into the outfit, however... The only visible weapon is the same ornate somewhere-between-dagger-and-short-sword blade that she wore to the dinner, but there's a also a wide variety of throwing weapons, concealed daggers, etc. And, if Tim has at least amber rank warfare, he may realize that Alys is palming and concealing rather more than the dozen or so blades she's letting him see...
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Tim will nod, "Looks good..." Before shifting his appearance (a rather extended sorc lynchpin where he defines the disguise during casting, I keep forgetting to actually transform his clothing he needs Conjuration) to a match for your outfit.

"Well, let's deal with your mages guild first. What did you need there?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Officially, just visiting to say hello - touring the city, seeing what's important. Unofficially... I'd like to see them adjust some of their admission policies, and make sure there isn't anything else there that needs my attention. Of course, I'm also not trying to make unnecessary enemies, so the tricky part will be convincing them that such an adjustment is their idea." Alys grins, "I may have already taken care of that, with my visit to the merchant's guild yesterday. But it will be a good idea to double-check."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"What changes?"
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

"Right now, they charge in advance for training. Not entirely unreasonable... but it does mean that the only trained sorcerers we get are those who had the necessary raw talent, and an actual interest, and enough money to afford it. Which, for a city that's still heavily reliant on teleportation for trade... does rather limit things. Some form of scholarships or loans for those who have only talent and interest would be useful. If necessary, I can have Ht'gon sponsor such - but I imagine the mage guild would be much happier to do so themselves, so they don't end up with 'their' mages having strong outside loyalties."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"That makes sense for the humans, I suppose. What of the ones here?" Tim will ask.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Alys blinks, and takes a moment to work out what Tim is talking about. Then, "I don't think they'd dare to claim their guild was open only to humans. And if they are so foolish... well. I suppose my reaction will depend on how much they've annoyed me - I have already talked to a few dwarves and a dark elf who are interested in more formal training, but... should it come to that, between Morgana, Asai, Darnell, and Osmund, along with lesser practitioners such as - no offense - you, or Kizak, or," Alys will list off a few more names, "...It shouldn't be that hard to build our own guild of sorcery, and have theirs marginalized within a century."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Are you sure you want ours trained the same way? " Tim asks. "I mean, we don't often fit in, but that should be okay. Are the courts together or separate? and are we all served by the city?"