07.07f: A Dance with... Well, you know...

The goings on of courts
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Re: 07.07f: A Dance with... Well, you know...

Post by coldcandor »

Solten will wait patiently as Kizak regains his breath, but his smile will once again fade away as these statements sink in. An Amberite that's some sort of hunter dragon? This day just keeps getting better...

At his final statement, however, Solten can't help but let out a laugh. "Sorry, sorry. Suffice it to say, this place is quite different. Sadie is, if you can believe it, actually a dog and friendly as you could hope. But if you get her riled up..." He'll let that hang in the air a moment with a predatory grin, then continue "I think we owe you an apology for this whole experience. If you're here to cause trouble, you're doing an excellent job of covering it up. The timing just couldn't have been worse. And none of us were prepared for your reaction to Alys..." He looks like he wants to say more here, but lets it drop.

He does his best to return to a properly cheerful attitude, not just a play of one. "But that's behind us now. Can I get you anything? I'd hate for that little debacle to be your entire impression of this place. First impressions can be... extreme... at times."
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"The quiet is helpful, let me try..."
His shapeshifting is almost painful to watch. Slow and ponderous, it's like sucking in your gut, then sucking it in again, then again... Each ripple takes off a few pounds and perhaps an inch or two of height as he shrinks back to the original 9-foot tall dragon you saw. "A dragon who can assume human form is powerful indeed in my world. No other animal can shapeshift there. At least, commonly shapeshift."

Perhaps two minutes later he's regained his composure, his shapeshifting and has reattached any of the jewelry that popped off when his size reverted.. "Was Lady Alys' race not common knowledge?"
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Somehow I doubt it's more painful to watch than Sadie's auto-shapeshift-healing...

Solten looks at the wall in the direction of main ballroom. "I honestly don't know. I've only been here a couple days myself. I would have to say that it's unlikely to be common knowledge, however. And I suggest you avoid telling anyone one else, lest your meeting tomorrow ends up meeting your expectations..." He looks back at Kizak and grins a little to show it was at least partially in jest. "Here, everyone has secrets, and I wouldn't be surprised if many were related to alternate forms. So you aren't taken aback by the next person you find that isn't what you expect.

"And speaking of not being what I expect, my experience with dragons has been... unpleasant to put it lightly. It is a pleasure to see that not all are bloodthirsty tyrants. So tell me, what brings you here? If you don't mind my saying so, you look rather out of your comfort zone here. And it occurs to me, I never even got your name in all this."
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Kizak. As far as dragons go, I've been more a small time bureaucrat. Lived in a bay by a small village, got tribute for safe passage on my waters. Not really a violent thing, the villagers could have done a lot more. Then some wanderers came, and they started talking about paying the adventurers to stop me vs what little I actually took. And I figured the argument wasn't worth it. So, I started swimming, and the path led me here." For just a moment, he sounds like a bit like a nerd.

"Thank you for covering for me. I'm not used to having to watch my tongue so much." He stands up, back mostly to normal, (although still wincing with internal pain, although not too horribly.) "If you wish, we can head back to the ball."
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Solten shudders a little at the parallel between Kizak's story and his own experience. This dragon certainly seems nothing like that one in anything else, though.

"I'm in no rush. The relative quiet is good for sorting through thoughts. Will that" he gestures after a wince, "heal itself? You do seem to be improving."

"So you were a bureaucrat with a tribute village? Sounds like an interesting culture. Do you often have trouble with these... hunter dragons? How do you identify them?" Solten realizes he's beginning to ask questions that could put Kizak back in the situation he just escaped and stops there. He let's that question stand, though.
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"It wasn't a full breath, it'll be tender for a week... And I should probably not get into any real fights tonight."

Kizak sighs. "Dragons know dragons. It's the way of the world. As for a hunter... That's more an instinct. Powerful dragons who don't announce themselves tend to get that reaction."

He will happily go into the bureaucracy for a bit, but it's a little dull to repeat.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Solten is happy to sit and listen to rather more inane topic for a time, prompting when appropriate. He'll use it as a learning session, though not with any particular direction. When Kizak starts to wind down, he'll decide it's probably time to get back to the ball. "While it has been a pleasure to speak of calmer things, I suspect we should return to the ball." He lets of a small sigh, evidently not actually wanting to return after all. "There are many more people I need meet. I hope the rest of your evening is rather less... eventful." He stands and leads Kizak back through the main entrance, debating just who he should meet with next. For the moment, he will head to the Seating Area.
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

For the moment, Kizak will stay and mingle elsewhere... He's giving Alys a wide berth.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

In case anyone wonders, Odin and Kizak are talking during the pause in reality.