07.07b: Dance Floor (Section 1)

The goings on of courts
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

07.07b: Dance Floor (Section 1)

Post by coldcandor »

This is the section of the dance floor closest to The Refreshment Table. There are not many people currently dancing, maybe 4 to 6.

Solten leads Priscilla out onto the dance floor, while she quietly admonishes his way of making introductions with the ladies. He grins playfully at her as they begin a moderate tempo dance, him following her lead. (He can't remember ever dancing before, so it starts slightly rough but he quickly picks up the movements.) He says "But we're here to have fun!" He lowers his voice and continues, "I know I know, consequences. Don't worry, I'm not going to do anything rash. But I want to be known as a little different, and willing to have a good joke. That won't happen if the first time people see me, they see someone trying to look like everyone else. Now..." He gives her a good twirl and catch to the finale of the song "aren't you having fun?" He grins again and they straighten back up.
Last edited by coldcandor on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solten
Sadie
Lunatic

Re: 07.07 B: Dance Floor (Section 1)

Post by Sadie »

"You are a quick learner." She smiles up at him. "To be honest you're humor will be lost on most of the nobles here. As for myself, I will very much enjoy watching you drag these noble folks out of their comfort zones and terrifying them horribly." She almost has a wicked predatory grin at this idea. "Really every social blunder you amberites makes remind them, that while you are royalty, most of you are not from noble stock, and that the world they hold so dear may start crumbling soon. It terrifies them." Speaking as she keeps you on the floor for the next dance since apparently you caught the very end of the last one.

"So please continue, but know this, to the nobles you look buffoonish and possibly a very scarey dullard that they must bow to. Meanwhile to people like me, you are a delight to behold, and to everyone else you help comfort them in this environment that is not quite their... their... their..." She seems to start skipping her words and stands frozen on the dance floor, her gaze following Darnell as he enters with an expression on her face much like a deer staring into headlights definitely more look of shock and possibly fear than awe.
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
Sadie
Lunatic

Re: 07.07b: Dance Floor (Section 1)

Post by Sadie »

Priscilla recovers herself, "Some people have no taste... I design such lovely clothes perfect for these occasions and people choose to come in things like that. It appears that now I have exited my comfort zone... I now know how you make the nobles feel but then." Looking around the room. "Bad tastes in attire is not something all that new to me. It also appears this dance is winding down and based on my ladies looks I am about to be cut in on. I think I shall let her steal you away from me so I say we continue until she does." She smiles mischievously.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie leaves the refreshment tables with a purpose. "My dear Priscilla, I believe you have monopolized my beau long enough, you are now to go talk with that man over there while me and mine get reacquainted and show each other what we've learned." Smiles at Solten devilishly. "You heard me Solten, wow me with your moves."

Priscilla: "Beau?"

Sadie: "Git!" Almost a growl, with a glare for added emphasis.

Priscilla's eyes widen slightly: "Yes my lady." As she exits stage left. in a bit of a hurry for the first few steps.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

"Making feel comfortable and uncomfortable at the same time. That's my goal!" He looks over to Darnell. "And it seems I'm not the only one intent on that."

When Sadie cuts in he looks at first slightly worried, then feigning upset, then once Priscilla has departed he grins mischievously. "So, is that another challenge?" On cue, the next song begins.
Solten
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"Another challenge? Oh most definitely my dearest Solten, and I expect to be swept off my feet. So get sweeping and don't you dare disappoint." The last word ending in a slight a growl with a very convincing predatory smile... then again having enlarged canines makes such a thing rather easy to do even without meaning to...
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Solten starts by suiting action to words, swinging Sadie around in one of the more flamboyant moves he's seen other dancers use. For a time, the two test each other subtly, trading off lead as one or the other gains a momentary advantage.

Then the musicians pick up the tempo, perhaps due to someone cluing them in that there's a dance-off going between two Amberites. But probably not; Darnell clearly had nothing to do with that; nobody even saw him near the musicians... Regardless, the contest is on. Other dancers start to drift to the sides as the tempo passes the limits of their interest or abilities.

Several more minutes go by before finally Solten and Sadie are the only dancers still active among an open circle of observers, the rest of the room simply standing and watching as the two Amberites turn and pirouette - long past any official dance at this point, instead making up moves as they go along. (Though, to be fair, for someone of Amber+ rank warfare, inventing new dance moves on the fly based on what they've already seen tonight is a perfectly reasonable thing to do - so this does actually look both good and choreographed, despite being in actuality a serious contest of improvisational one-upmanship.) As the dance gets more and more intense, Solten actually seems to elongate as he flows to the music.

Soon, the musicians are the ones that begin to falter, unable to maintain the breakneck pace.
Solten
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

As the dance hits it's peak it becomes clear to the remaining musicians that they have met their match and cannot keep up. In proper fashion the dance rapidly slows down to it's original speed signalling that the dance is coming to a close.

On hearing the cue from the musicians, Sadie gives a final lead to Solten. The gathered audience, watching the pair with rapt attention, has no trouble seeing her non-verbal call, telling Solten one thing, that she is going up. She twirls into Solten's arms, letting him guide her leap into the air and launching her above the astonished nobles. Sadie spins as she defies the pull of gravity and sends her azure dress into a spiraling corona about her. It billows about her, a portal to the skies above the waves that seems to suspend her above the floor as her airborne dervish reaches it's zenith. Her descent is swift as she lands in Solten's arms, her final rotation bring her own arms around his neck to pull him into a passionate and deliberate kiss that could make even the coldest of hearts blush with warmth.
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

After arriving, Alys moves out onto the dance floor. When the music picks up, she finds herself swapping partners several times, as one or another Rebma noble decides to abandon the floor; eventually, she too is forced to the sidelines when her last partner - a particularly limber shark-man - finally stumbles.

She waits out the rest of the dance at the edge of the open circle of people around Sadie and Solten, watching with a slightly bemused expression. And, after the dance ends, she's the first to break the silence, clapping (which triggers applause across the room) and walking forwards.

"Nicely done," Alys comments in a stage whisper*, "but next time, would you mind waiting until I have a partner who can keep up?"

Alys waits a moment, to allow for a retort should anyone care to make one, before introducing herself to Sadie.
"I am Lady Alystrakos Obsidia Sybaris. You must be Lady Sadie; I'd heard of your arrival."

______
* Just in case anyone happens to be unfamiliar with the term, a stage whisper is what an actor uses when their character is supposed to be whispering, but they still need what they say to be audible to an audience. In other words, it's pitched to be clearly audible, but still sound like a whisper.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie lingers in the kiss for a moment eyes locked on Solten's as she slowly and reluctantly slides her arms from around his neck and while positively glowing smiles and says in a voice that's full of wistful contentment. "I wasn't aware anyone would be trying to be. My apologies. Yes, I am Sadie, I'm afraid I lack such an impressive sounding name. Perhaps I should combine some of my previous names to create a standard human name." Shakes her head slightly voice returning to normal. "Either way, it is a pleasure to meet you. I'm going to get a drink if you'd like to accompany me." Looks back at Solten with eyes filled with adoration. "Coming along Solten dear?" Said with much very clear affection.