07.07b: Dance Floor (Section 1)

The goings on of courts
Sadie
Lunatic

Re: 07.07b: Dance Floor (Section 1)

Post by Sadie »

"You smell like babies!*" Sadie smiles a bit at the revelation. "As for me, I'm fine now, but... I almost killed that dragon... I seem to be suffering from a temporary bout of PTSD, not a good thing. I have no idea what will set me off and that is really worrisome. I'm thinking it's linked to reptiles and fire. I've seen it happen to lots of people, have had run ins with it myself, though I've always gotten better, which is more than I can say for most people I've known. I'm guessing it's because of this whole being more "real" thing. Either way, I'm a danger to myself and others if I don't manage to get a handle on this." Then almost as an after thought. "Why do you smell like babies?"

* Pretty much baby powder. She's not just a rescue dog, she's a nanny dog as well. The smells of children and babies comforts her as it generally reminds her of more pleasant times.
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin flushes a deep red*, thinking he may have gone too far... before he realizes what you mean. "It's just dryness powder, to keep the suit dry when I move. I guess they do use that on babies..."

"I'm Quin, the court jester, and you snuck out of the castle before I could greet you. Asai must have decided it was a cute prank. I like to greet everyone who arrives for the first time." He smiles, a kind of awkward dumpy look that is a little out of place with the person who arranged to have Ashara otherwise occupied. "I'm sorry to hear that you had a rough patch. I'm glad things will heal though."

-------
*: Shouting "You smell like babies!" to your average male is likely to get a mix of very very odd responses.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"It's a pleasure to meet you. Any ideas on what Ashara wants so badly to discuss with me? Is it the coronation, or to chastise me, or... well both I guess, those are the only two things I can think of. I did promise to be little more than a face at this ball, and by this point I think I've gone a bit beyond that... I just keep noticing her attention drawn this way." Looks funnily enough like a dog worried she's about to be smacked on the nose with a rolled up newspaper.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Ashara has resigned herself to being outplayed. On the plus side, Darnell is charming and sweet, if a bit oddly dressed.

Quin nods, "No harm was done, and it's not like Ashara can punish you. Still, good advisors are a rare commodity, so it's best to keep them when you can." He does his best to keep his voice soothing, more out of respect for the scene you just had than anything else.

"I'm sure she wasn't expecting to be completely displaced. I had hoped to talk to you a little bit after Dworkin made his choice. But, what happens happens. I mentioned I am the jester, so I really don't have any authority, although I do have Dworkin's backing, and the shadow of that holds a lot of weight. Regardless... I am here to assist."

"The good news is, you can change any laws, even ours. You can make her a member of court, you can grant her veto power over your actions. You are chosen. You've known you were chosen." He smiles, and will add if you've calmed down a bit, "And, if you take everyone here into account, you're older then most of them put together. Although, even in dog years there is one who is still older." He will pause, "maybe two..."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"Speaking of laws, that's something I really need to learn." Seems to ponder. "Shouldn't you be pointing out our foibles and not allowing us to take ourselves too seriously? Say, Quin, do you think it would be asking too much for my trying to call a "council" meeting between many of our current rulers after all these festivities are done? The festivities are nice and I keep hearing stuff about people doing individual things, but well, real organization and plans are nice. Especially if we're to form a real true military, police force and real law system."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin thinks for a moment, "I suppose I should point such out. But right now, the big foible is not realizing you have power and are agents of authority. Makes the position kind of ironic."

"I suspect Dworkin wanted to let the laws compete and see what rose to the top, but that makes sense. For the meeting, you have: yourself; Morgana, the ogre over there; Renny, the one dancing with the priest; and Eretria, she's not here, I think she's helping with the enchantments still. Although Renny and Eretria are guides, not rulers. I could ask them, or trump them if needed." He pauses, "That's right, you haven't seen trump, it's what we have to communicate. That can wait though."

"As for a military, you have Renny and Alys working towards that. Dworkin keeps mentioning Nuall, but I don't see him on that front."

"And if you need anything, I am always here."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"So I have multiple meetings to set up. As for competing laws, if Dworkin wants that, no offense, he can bite me. We're dealing with people, their lively hoods, ect here. This isn't a game from my angle. Life is confusing enough for people as is, without a bunch of different rulers running around half cocked with a bunch of arbitrary change by the moment laws that fluctuate wildly at any given time. Some law difference sure, but there definitely need to be federal laws if we're to honestly try and treat each court and it's controlling area as a state. If we are to be rulers together we need to act like them, together."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin will chuckle. "Glad to see you've recovered."

"For that, an Amberite's law is absolute. This is followed by the nobles, then merchants, then peasants. Most cities have some form of that. For example, here the fishermen are considered merchants, even without a powerful business backing them up. Dworkin is above those, but he's been a little hands-off."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"Strange... Is there something in writing I can look at later? Also how are we getting this information out there? I mean I could say, all must smell like baby powder while in Rebma right now, and according to you it would then be law, but how would anyone know? Would I really be able to punish them for that? What rules are in play here for this whole law creation process, or are we quite literally starting from scratch?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Well, yes. Although from your context, I assume you're joking. And if you wanted to execute the entirety of the room for not having the right scent, you have that right. Now, as a check to that, I'm sure the other Amberites here would duel you to rescind the law. Dworkin would, but really only if the punishment was death and you didn't give them a chance to comply first. Also, it would cause issues in the water, so that's another possible issue Dworkin would have."

He doesn't let you panic, and attempts to continue, "It is up to them to know what we declare, although again, most would object to you only stating a law in your head."

"Thankfully, no one has gone quite that nuts. I suspect it's because the pattern only chooses those with some dedication to law. I think the closest we have is a few fops."