07.05g: The Drowned City

The goings on of courts
Joshua
Gibbering

Re: 07.05g: The Drowned City

Post by Joshua »

A slightly dumpy fish-like man approaches. On first visual impression he resembled Dworkin, but that quickly fades when any details show up. He has very fine green scales instead of skin, and his hair is actually tiny white tendrils like an anemone. He is wearing a clear coral and glass water breather that goes over his mouth and the gills at the side of his neck. (This is a small apparatus, looking like a cross between a scarf and a gel-wrist-rest.) His voice seems to come from the whole device when he speaks. His clothing is of that same silk (quick drying silk), colored earthy browns and grays and does resemble Dworkin's (or any generic sage's) quite a bit.

"Greetings Lady Sadie..." He will pause at the tone of that statement and shake his head lightly. "I am Nemo, advisor of..." He will pause and check a tag on the chest of his robe, "Renaissance Matters, this week. Although that one might stick." He bows lightly, giving the impression that any farther and the breather might fall off. "I have designed several artificial and cosmetic eye replacements, or could help with the selection of a proper mono-goggle."

Ashara will look momentarily frustrated at the breach of decorum but will nod. "Nemo is quite skilled at unusual but effective solutions. If your eye is in the process of healing, he won't disturb it. He might even be able to match it to an outfit. At the least, we can do this for a guest of Dworkin."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"Um... Ok, we'll see what you can do... Nemo is it? A pleasure to make your acquaintance let's be off and get to work." Bows to lady Ashara. "Sorry we didn't get to talk more, maybe later." And Sadie and Nemo head off to get to work. Sadie turns to Nemo and says with some trepidation."Say... Nemo, you're not going to be helping choose my dress too are you?"
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Nemo starts leading Sadie off, but doesn't get very far when a young attractive looking woman with tanned skin, long black hair and eyes of such a dark brown you'd almost swear they were black. She's wearing a lovely dress, with a small ornate decorative shawl held together by a clasp in the shape of a seals face. Of note to Sadie but few others, Priscilla smells of seal as well as human. "Wait, Nemo! My lady!"

Sadie stops to let her catch up, which she does. "I'm Priscilla, I'm to outfit you for a dress."

Nemo: "Yes, after we find a solution to her eye. I've already got..."

Priscilla whimpers: "Let me get a chance with her first, please! I might have a solution, and if I don't I promise you'll be the first I call."

Nemo: "Fine, fine, I'll see you both in a bit..." Grumbles something about seals and balls as he wanders off.

Sadie: "Priscilla was it?"

Priscilla curtsy bows and says in a most humbled tone: "Yes m'lady. It's an honor to be in your presence."

Sadie: "So why'd you send Nemo off, he seemed rather certain of a solution. And really the honors mine, you're helping me."

Priscilla: "Nemo is a great inventor and artist, and so many things, and in truth he might have come up with something that worked spectacularly. But I believe you deserve better, you deserve perfection."

Sadie chuckles: "That's a pretty bold claim."

Priscilla: "Well I do intend to cheat a little..." Said a bit timidly biting her lip shyly at the admission. "This way!" She says proudly throwing open a rather ornate door.

The door reveals a large beautifully decorated room with mannequins wearing lovely dresses and suits and racks upon racks of clothing all lined up on each side of the room making a path to a stand which is in front of a very large ornate mirror that strangely seems to be casting no reflection.

Sadie upon entering: "Not sure how, but your mirror seems to be broken..."

Priscilla: "It's a feature." Said simply. Upon locking the door she turns to Sadie and with a mock sinister voice says: "Now you're mine!"

Sadie: "So is it a ransom then?"

Priscilla walking around Sadie looking her over admiringly. "No turning your nose up. No harrumph. No sign of derision."

Sadie: "Why would I do any of those things?"

Priscilla: "If you were nobility you might. Well except most men. Young beautiful woman, a locked room, a perfect opportunity to try and engage in a tryst. I've no desire to be some young man's guilty slum girl, or an older mans hidden affair. I typically don't joke with men."

Sadie: "Surely they aren't all THAT bad."

Priscilla shrugs: "They aren't, but enough of them are for me. Besides I'm admittedly biased. Anyway you aren't a man so let's get to business."

Sadie: "Alright... about this eye."

Priscilla: "Shush, shush, we'll figure out the eye later, first, clothes, off now. Should be easy, you're wearing a nighty."

Sadie: "Um... Ok, and I'm wearing a what?"

Priscilla: "A nighty, practically everyone is. Is what the design was for originally. Something simple to slip on at night. Wouldn't you know it though, everyone took to it, started wearing it every where and gets passed to practically every newcomer that comes here like you. Still tickles me pink, but get paid regardless so who am I to complain? Still wish people were wearing some of my nicer works instead, but what can you do? People buy what they want and there's only so much you can fancy up a nighty."

Sadie: "Clothes off, now what?"

Priscilla: "I admire you for a bit and make some decisions."

Sadie: "Um, ok... I've been in a dog show before so this is nothing new..." Tries to enter an appropriate pose.

Priscilla giggles: "This isn't a dog show. You can relax, in fact, move around a bit for me. Let me see how you move. Take a short walk down to the stand and back."

Sadie: "Take a walk down to the stand and back? You sure this isn't a dog show?" Smiling and wagging her tail.

Priscilla: "I see an attractive woman, not a dog... Well ok a woman with a cute waggly tail and floppy fluffy ears, but still most definitely a woman. And I like what I see, so up on the stand with you, git!"

Sadie: "I'm going, sheesh! Taskmaster." Sadie says glaring slightly and then turning to the mirror. "You're mirror is still broken."

Priscilla: "It's a feature." She assures.

<Continued Tonight>
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Priscilla waves her hand and makes a few gestures and suddenly the mirror springs to life. Sadie finally sees herself in the mirror.

Sadie: "Impressive." She mocks jokingly to then find the her in the mirror stick her tongue out at her. "Ok now seeing as I didn't do that it is impressive."

Priscilla: "It's a very special mirror, especially in that it works here in Amber."

Sadie: "So what's next?"

Priscilla: "We have a little fun of course."

Sadie: "We have time for that?"

Priscilla: "There's always time for that. I call this one the husky."

Sadie: "Hey my ears and tail are different and my bad eye is blue now!"

Priscilla: "You make a nice husky I think."

Sadie: "I'm a little big for a Husky, closer to an Alaskan Malamute I think."

Priscilla: "It's only your ears and tail."

Sadie: "Just saying, I'm a bigger dog than a husky."

Priscilla: "Are we really having this argument?"

Sadie with an evil grin: "Most definitely."

Priscilla: "Alright then, try this on for size." Waves her hand.

Sadie: "Hey I'm a chihuahua!"

Priscilla: "And you'll stay that way if you don't behave."

Sadie pouts: "Oh fine..."

Priscilla: "That's better, and you're cute when you pout." Waves her hand and Sadie has two good eyes and is back to normal minus any scarring as well.

Sadie: "This mirror is really neat!"

Priscilla: "Let's see, basic dress first." Waves her hand and Sadie finds herself in a simple white dress.

Sadie: "So why don't you like men?"

Priscilla: "I don't... dislike men... I mean... It's complicated." Makes a few more adjustments. "Speaking of men, who is it?"

Sadie: "Who is what?"

Priscilla: "Is it Oberon, Nuall or Solten?"

Sadie: "I don't..."

Priscilla: "You're crushing on someone, it's just us girls, come on spill it."

Sadie: "How do you know it's one of them, and why those three?"

Priscilla: "You showed up with them on the docks, yes?"

Sadie: "How do you know that? I mean Asai knew, but from what I can tell she was following me."

Priscilla: "This is Rebma, nothing happens on the docks without us knowing."

Sadie: "No one seemed all that interested in our arrival."

Priscilla: "Of course not, it might draw too much attention to themselves."

Sadie: "So?"

Priscilla: "You are as gods compared to us mortal folk and we live under a law system that makes that very clear."

Sadie: "How so?"

Priscilla: "Let's say you don't like the dress I make you. You could then kill me for the insult and nothing would happen."

Sadie: "Speaking of which, you haven't been changing much..."

Priscilla: "I'm working with color."

Sadie: "Oh... A lot look practically the same to me."

Priscilla: "You don't have human vision?"

Sadie: "Nope, but really, you're pulling my leg."

Priscilla: "No, it really is the law. Not much better being a normal person dealing with nobility for that matter. Fortunately for me, a lot of people like my work, so offing me would not go over well in the noble circles. Gives me a bit of protection."

Sadie: "I'm not liking this."

Priscilla: "You don't like it? Imagine being us."

Sadie: "I am, that's why I don't like it. Hey you did something different!"

Priscilla: "You like it?"

Sadie: "Um... no not really..."

Priscilla: "Me either, but sometimes you gotta try different things even if you don't think they'll work. Sometimes they just click."

Sadie: "You still didn't really answer how you knew."

Priscilla: "I've been busy for awhile now, with last minute orders, and touch ups. Nobles have been in and out that door. If there's one things nobles love to do is gossip and lord over you how important they are and how much they know that I couldn't possibly understand. Ironically I probably know more about the goings on of court as a result than most of them do, not to mention dark secrets. Is this better?"

Sadie: "Very much so, but um, should I really be wearing that to a ball?"

Priscilla: "Probably not, but it looks nice, yes?"

Sadie: "So information spreads fast around here?"

Priscilla: "When three of our rulers disappear from plain sight during last nights festivities and reappear the next day soaked with blood and accompanied by a pirate with dogs ears and a tail, people take notice. Everything you do is watched. On a whim any one of you can rather drastically change our way of life for better or worse. Just because people seem not to take notice doesn't mean they aren't. And speaking of avoided questions, who is it?"

Sadie blushes: "Solten."

Priscilla's eyes widen slightly: "The five of swords?"

Sadie: "Does that mean something?"

Priscilla: "It's just a really bad card to have..."

Sadie: "What card, what are you talking about?"

Priscilla: "Trump, don't know much about it, other than the cards roughly correspond to Tarot cards. You'll get one, all the others did last night. From what I can tell the card sort of labels your position in the court."

Sadie: "Were you there?"

Priscilla sighs a bit sadly: "Nope I only ever hear about these things, I never get the invite even though a good majority of the nobles are displaying my outfits. I'm a little bitter, I admit."

Sadie: "It's perfectly understandable so long as you don't let it get the best of you. And I really like what you've done with my tail there, it's pretty."

Priscilla: "It's a part of what makes you, you. A lot of designers might have bound it and hidden it under a dress, I say let it fly. You're special and should be proud of who you are."

Sadie: "It's random chance I am what I am..."

Priscilla puts a finger on Sadie's lips: "Shhh, I'm not talking about your power Sadie. I'm talking about you the person. When I mentioned the unfavorable laws that did nothing but benefit you, you cared because you felt they are wrong. You are a person of ethics and morals. You've also been kind and joked with me, you are person, and it is these things that make you special. And if I have my way, you will glow tonight."

Am going to split this again so as to not have too much in one post.... <cont>
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Warning Content Below May Involve Uncomfortable Material of Adult Matters

Sadie blushes for some reason she's unsure of: "Thank you... I appreciate it, but... I'm not sure I want to stand out that much... I already have no idea what to expect."

Priscilla: "You're going to be made to stand out no matter what. You are brand new royalty and this is your first major function. All eyes will be on you."

Sadie: "Oh thanks, now I really don't want to do it."

Priscilla: "You will though, you're a responsible person, and it's your duty to the people."

Sadie: "I hate you... I do, however, love what you did with the gems though, what kind are they?"

Priscilla: "I know you do, and Amethyst."

Sadie: "What color is Amethyst?"

Priscilla: "Purple usually."

Sadie: "Isn't that typically the color of... Oh yeah, right. Hey wait a minute you never answered my question."

Priscilla: "Nothing gets by you does it?"

Sadie: "I'm an officer, and no it doesn't. It almost did though. I told you my crush now you tell me why you dislike men."

Priscilla: "You really don't want to hear this story, trust me. Hmmm, yeah this isn't working, something else maybe."

Sadie: "I kinda liked it..."

Priscilla: "Shows what you know." sticking her tongue out.

Sadie: "Fine then, and nice try, spill it."

Priscilla: "Well for starters I'm a Selkie."

Sadie: "Explains the seal smell."

Priscilla: "Yes, no amount of perfume gets rid of it. I think you'll find the same with you and the smell of dog."

Sadie: "That's ok, I think Solten likes it. On with the story."

Priscilla: "I'm not sure how familiar you are with what we Selkie are. Were we in your home shadow?"

Sadie: "No, but there were stories. I've found a lot of things exist that are only stories in my world. Selkie's have a seal skin that they can remove to become a person. If it is stolen the one who now possesses it can force the selkie to be his wife."

Priscilla: "Well really there's more you can make a selkie do than that, but yes that's pretty close to accurate. Our pelt is always a part of us, whether we have it on or not. We can't become our true seal selves without it. As much as our seal selves are our true selves anyway. We're born seals, and acquire the ability to shed our skin upon reaching puberty. It is then we gain our mind, our human mind and become fully and truly an individual."

Sadie: "Sounds familiar. I just up and gained sentience one day, it was weird..."

Priscilla: "Tell me about it. Well, skipping the embarrassing details, on my first foray into the world of humans, I let my skin leave my sight for but a moment. I swear it was just a moment. When I turned around it was gone."

Sadie growling slightly: "I'm not liking this story..."

Priscilla: "I warned you."

Sadie: "So what happened to it?"

Priscilla: "A retired drunk sailor took it."

Sadie: "Did you get it back?"

Priscilla: "No, I'm still there." Sticking tongue out.

Sadie blushes embarrased: "Ok, ok, continue the story."

Priscilla: "The guy already had a wife and child, so he put me in a shack he built in the woods and locked me up when I wasn't of use to him."

Sadie tearing up slightly: "I... I'm so sorry..."

Priscilla: "He was kind enough to leave me with sewing materials and some books on the matter at least. Turns out he was using me to save money on buying clothes for his wife and daughter. Who by appearances anyway was my age. Little did I know I was modelling for his daughter." Shivers.

Sadie: "First time I died I was put down because I killed a man that dared to touch his child the wrong way... Recovering from brain damage is a strange endeavor to say the least."

Priscilla: "I'm not sure he ever did that... There were no signs when I met the girl and I'm pretty sure I'd have noticed."

Sadie looking shocked: "He brought his daughter over?"

Priscilla: "No of course not, I'm getting a head of myself. Eventually he just had to show me off to some friends. His best catch he called me. Referring to fishing I believe... Eventually they started offering him money. He didn't take it but was considering it and it wouldn't be long before he caved. It was during one of these visits I caught tell of his family, and figured out who my clothes were for. Speaking of which, I think I found your colors and the right dress model for you."

Sadie looking really worried: "So what did you do? And yes it looks very nice."

Priscilla: "I made the mother an outfit, and stitched on the inside was a message telling her everything. I knew it was risky, but I was desperate."

Sadie: "I'm hoping the story is getting better now."

Priscilla: "Yes, yes it is. It was a few days later the wife and daughter showed up... at first she burst in angry then looked horrified upon seeing my age. She had found my seal skin, freed me, and sent me on my way. I never returned to that beech again. In fact I had sworn to never be human again."

Sadie: "But you're here now."

Priscilla: "I was upset, and besides, I decided no matter how much I feared being human again it wasn't worth losing myself. A selkie who does not remove her skin and become human now and then, eventually loses themselves and becomes a seal fully wholly and in truth."

Sadie slightly teared up again: "I'm really sorry to hear about this... is there anything I can do?"

Priscilla smiles slightly though tearing up a bit: "You're doing enough being my friend and truly caring."

Sadie hugs Priscilla, and there's a brief cry, followed by eye wiping.

Priscilla: "It doesn't help that Selkie men aren't much better."

Sadie: "Why not?"

Priscilla: "While there are exceptions, they are cheaters the lot of them. I swear they aren't happy if they aren't either cheating on someone, or having someone else cheat on somebody with them. They take advantage of their anonymity to sleep with married women unsatisfied in their marriage all the while ignoring their selkie wives back home. Only thing good I'll say about them is that they will defend our pups to the death. Sadly in the end it came to that."

Sadie: "I don't think I can handle anymore tragedy today."

Priscilla: "Well this part of my story doesn't involve why I'm not too comfortable around men, so we can stop here for now if you wish. It's more about how I got to Amber."

Sadie: "Is that the final dress? It's been the same for awhile now."

Priscilla: "I'm thinking about it, it's not quite bedazzling enough yet I don't think. And just so you know, I've recovered, I'm happy with myself, and I don't let the past diminish myself or my sense of self worth. There have been plenty of good times in my life, and for good or ill I wouldn't change a thing. If I did, I wouldn't be the person standing before you now, and I think I've made a good go of it."

Sadie: "That's really profound, and I must admit to liking you a lot. I think we could be really good friends."

OK another post break... Hope no one has been made too uncomfortable by the material presented within. This is not subject matter I take lightly and hope it was handled with the maturity it deserves.
Last edited by Sadie on Sat Jan 19, 2013 5:53 am, edited 5 times in total.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Priscilla: "I... I think I would really like that... If we're really going to be friends, you can call me Prissy. No one else can, but you can, so cherish it."

Sadie: "Prissy huh? Well ok Prissy what else needs to be done on the dress?"

Prissy: "I... I must admit to being a bit stumped. I really want this to be perfect, but it just feels like it's missing something..."

Sadie: "Probably not the best time to mention this, but I do have a collar I prefer to not be without, though I'm pretty sure it would clash with any elegant dress..."

Prissy: "That's it, perfect, now the outfit says, Sadie... Quite literally looking at the tag."

Sadie: "Um, but... it's not very elegant..."

Prissy: "A true proper dress is about more than elegance, it tells a story and catches the true beauty of the person wearing it. Yes the collar is typically out of place for a ball of this nature, but, it is a vital part of who you are, and tonight is about showing you, Sadie, the person, not a dog in a costume."

Sadie: "I must admit I'm really nervous about all this..."

Prissy: "You don't have to be alone, I can accompany you."

Sadie: "But don't you need an invitation?"

Prissy: "You're royalty now, if you want me there, no one is going to say no." Gets a little timid now. "But... I have another idea, if you'd be willing to have me?"

Sadie: "Have you how?" Said comfortingly as Prissy is clearly nervous.

Prissy: "Well... you are royalty now, and a lot of royalty has personal aides that accompany them, help them when needed and do whatever needs to be done that they don't have the time to do themselves. I... I'd really like to be your aide."

Sadie: "But you'd be leaving this all behind."

Prissy: "All of this, including the mirror are personally owned by me I will lose none of it. I will gain a true friend and no longer be beholden to people for whom I am little more than a useful tool. I will serve to help an important person do great things, a person I respect and want to succeed. I might lose my clientele and the knowledge I gain from such, but instead I become part of the things I hear so much about rather than simply imagining it."

Sadie: "It might be dangerous though, I'd hate to see you hurt more on account of being by my side."

Prissy: "I've experienced pain, and become a stronger person for it. I've fought hard to overcome my sorrow and become a stronger happier person on the other side. I want to use that strength to do more, to be more. I've gone as far as I can here. With you I can help be a part of something important and help make this world a better place. Something I believe you will do, and I desire to help you. No one can change the world alone."

Sadie smiles warmly: "Well I certainly can't say no to that... You're hired!" And gives Prissy a big hug which goes on a bit longer than Sadie expected. "So, we have a dress, in a mirror, and an eye, in a mirror... how do we make this reality?"

Prissy: "Well there's two ways... We could apply the entire mirror illusion to you, but then you'd actually be naked except for your collar. Which means any touching would go right through the outfit... That and the more complicated the illusion the less holding strength it has, by my estimates you'd be naked visually about half way through the ball."

Sadie blushes: "Ok that's definitely no good. So what other options do we have?"

Prissy: "The scarring and eye should last through the ball and then some, though you'll likely wake up back to normal. As for the dress, I have everything I need here to get it ready for you in time for the ball."

Sadie: "So that's it then?"

Prissy: "Absolutely not."

Sadie: "What's left?"

Prissy: "You take a long hot bubble bath."

Sadie: "It has been awhile since I had a bath proper..."

Prissy: "The bath should already be prepared, follow me."
Last edited by Sadie on Sat Jan 19, 2013 1:28 pm, edited 8 times in total.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Ok everyone now I really need help...

After all this I really built this dress up to be something special, and I know I have no ability to design or describe it properly, for one 90% of the terms I'd be using are likely not in my vocabulary, or at least I don't know precisely what they mean anyway... So any help would be appreciated...

Please, please, please someone SAVE ME!!!!

Of interesting note, I like to think this conversation and it's back and forth are relatively close to what one might imagine in a real life conversation (assuming there are dog girls and selkies of course), and posit an interesting question/point. Could you imagine how long this would have taken had it been two PCs going back and forth like this at forum pacing?
Last edited by Sadie on Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

(OOC: Dies! Crushed under a ginormous wall of text!)

The bath is a large room, coral siding, translucent windows allow light in but no image. The "tub" is a large hole set into the floor, the size of a small pool. It is covered in a moderate layer of bubbles for varying degrees of modesty. Various scented oils are being heated in braziers nearby giving a rather intimate feel for the room. There are several series of sponges, (some still living), and soaps.

Pricilla will point Sadie to the warmth controls of the tub (which are magical and include a dial for salt content), chimes that will summon towels or attendants, then very reluctantly bow out of the room.

This will allow Sadie a few minutes to make herself comfortable before something else happens.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie settles into the bath and then starts sniffing all the oils and stuff. She also starts poking the sponges especially the still living ones, and being fascinated by the bubbles.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

Outside, you hear the sounds of someone being lead quite enthusiastically down the hall, followed by the muffled voice of Solten: "Yes yes, i get it, the baths are over here. I'm going!" Shortly after, the door opens to admit Solten with a somewhat bewildered look but a smile none the less. Behind him is a wickedly grinning attendant, who gives him a push into the room and pulls the door closed.

Solten stares at the door for a moment, mumbling "What in th-". He turns at the sound of giggling and spots a thoroughly bubble-covered Sadie in the tub. "Oh." After a moment's embarrassed silence, he says "Nice to see you again, especially intact. Um. I should probably go. The-the attendants... no wonder they were all grinning so much." He sighs.
Solten