07.05g: The Drowned City

The goings on of courts
Sadie
Lunatic

07.05g: The Drowned City

Post by Sadie »

The road into Rebma is an interesting if different one. If you weighed enough you could walk it, but ideally the best route is to swim it. If you breathe air, however, it's wise to stay to the road lest you miss one of the many air pockets stationed along the road. It is not necessary one hold ones breath for long, but a deep breath is a good idea. The road ends into a vast underwater cavern, within which are many towering buildings with various entrances from many heights which a ground dweller might mistake for simply windows. Sadie, however doesn't bother with the water bubbles, finding she has no need and can make the swim on one breath. Strangely Asai seems to be managing the same somehow.

Upon entering the main guest building the road leads to, Sadie enters and finds an area to climb out of the water and leaning back on something in a manner much like one might find a water nymph or mermaid sunning herself she lets out a heavy satisfied sigh. "Nothing like a good swim. I really like this body. And you!" Pointing her finger strongly at Asai who has also exited the water. "You surprise me, I didn't expect you to keep up, this really doesn't look to be your element."
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
Veyska
Lunatic

Re: 07.05g: The Drowned City

Post by Veyska »

"It's not," Asai admits cheerfully. "And I'll admit I do find the notion of swimming for swimming's sake alone rather odd... But then again by a proper view of my kind neither books nor planewalking nor speech are my element either. Rebma was the last court I got around to visiting here because of the complications in getting here, but I was hardly going to sit around and let this new and novel region of what appears to be my new home go unexplored now was I?" Asai finds an appropriate out-of-the-way spot and shakes herself vigorously before squeezing her long tail as dry as it would reasonably get in a few moments' work.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"I'm sure someone will come to greet us soon. If not I'm feeling relaxed and here's a good place to do so. Wish I was more healed though, don't quite feel as nymphish as I feel I should in such an environment. And yes I'm aware nymphs don't have dog's tails either... or the ears or... well you get the idea. As for swimming for swimming's sake, I'm a waterdog, I was bred to swim, it's an innate part of who I am. Same with my desire help others. In my world my breed are called gentle giants and are known to be great nanny dogs. Which is true, I love children, always have. We make astounding water rescue dogs. I personally have rescued literally hundreds of sailors myself. A good number of them from just one wreck. Few of my non sentient brethren even need to be trained for this, if we see a person drowning we'll save them naturally. That said, we typically aren't very violent and if someone wants us to be it takes a lot of training, it's against our nature. That said, I've been alive awhile and have learned that sometimes violence is necessary. Having served as a dog of war, and as an officer of the law I am very capable of violence when needed. As another being of sentience born of strong instinct, I'm sure you're well aware of the struggle of intelligence verses instinct and the need to learn to go beyond instinct and become something more. For now though, let's just relax for a bit." Yawns happily and settles in.
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Two guards approach, although perhaps they're more of a welcome committee. They're dressed in loose-fitting silk, looking relatively human or elf-like. One of them carries a second, similar dress over an arm. He offers it to Sadie while the other speaks.
"Sorry Lady Asai, we weren't aware of your visit. Will you be needing anything? A guide, an enchanter for water breathing? Should we alert the steward?"
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sadie takes the outfit. "Aware of my visit though I see. Dworkin told me I should introduce myself here. I suspect there is something up there. Is there a reason I should be here beyond the obvious beauty of this place. And wow this material sure feels nice. As for Asai she was kind enough to show me the way and accompany me."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

The dress is more unisex. The guards are wearing something similar but a bit more elaborate. What you have is a simplified version that could fit either gender.

"We keep several of them around. You'd be surprised..." He nods. "With all the shapeshifters who can't do clothes, we just want to make sure people are comfortable. Haven't had many others who wanted to swim."

The one who spoke originally offers, "We have a lot of medicinal treatments that aren't available in the city. Some of the females enjoy those. We've been getting a number of people interested in the preparations for the dance tonight. We can see about a proper dress. Uh... Are you... Who am I addressing?"
Veyska
Lunatic

Post by Veyska »

Asai bobs her head in greeting at the guards but waits to speak until there's a break in the conversation. "Considering I wasn't aware of my visit either until a short while ago, it's hardly surprising nobody else knew either. And this is Sadie, recently arrived in Amber in the company of Oberon, Solten, and Nuall."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"I have been sent here by Dworkin. I am as he is, as Oberon is, and as our friend Asai here is. I've been told it is here I should come to introduce myself. I am not completely clear of the meaning of that, however, though I have growing suspicions. I have a feeling that yes the steward should probably be informed I'm here and will know more of why than I do... YET that is."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Oh son-of-a..." The guard quickly composes himself. "Please forgive us. It is difficult to run a kingdom where there is the overhanging concern that new royalty and nobility will arrive without notice. I do not mean insult. It's just difficult."

The other guard says, "At least she can swim. The prince was a sailor." He quickly bites his tongue. "Not that there's anything wrong with that. He has done wonders to help our relations with the above-world. It's just he wasn't what we expected." He sighs. "I'm sure your place here will be a good one. Just, monarchies aren't meant to shift quickly, and even a few days notice would be better than mere hours." His smile is forced, but the apology (and the stress) is genuine.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"New roy... oh fuck..." Sadie looks genuinely terrified for a second then takes a deep breath. "Ok, let's do this then. Asai it's been fun but I think I need to handle this alone, thank you for the company. Take me to the steward immediately we have much to discuss little time to do it. I've overheard people talking of a ball being held here tonight, this must be quick so as not to interrupt the needed preparations. It's show time soon I'm expecting."