07.05f: Steam and Intrigue

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.05f: Steam and Intrigue

Post by misfit »

A look of...surprise? concern? consternation? fear?...flickers across Nuall's face for a second, then his mask settles quickly back into place.

"Well, I cannot say that I fully understand but at least it sounds like no one from your court will try to destroy Amber to restore what was lost. It does not sound like such a thing would be possible. I find that thought comforting."

Nuall does continue in his own head "Of course that fails to rule out attacks for anger, jealousy, spite or just plain madness. The mad have no need to make sense. Or they could be wiling to try to restore their court with the ashes of this one even if it is impossible."

"You referred to yourself as an emissary earlier. Has Dworkin sent an emissary to you court as well? Are we attempting peaceful relations?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I am an emissary from a very small minority of those able to get here. I suspect a diplomat sent the other way would be dismembered and tossed from what exists." His voice is deadpan. "There is no chance of peace. Your best benefit is most do not know this place exists. Not while our... world remains broken. Unless Dworkin can fix it, or perhaps I bring back a way to do so."

"I wonder... If Dworkin still has the item he took. The part of our world that should not be here."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall raises an eyebrow. "Item? A part of your world? Here? What would this item be? I could have seen it already and never known."

"And how many of your people could get here? ...and how would they do it?"

Nuall sighs. "Forgive all of the questions my Lord. I am very new here myself and there is so much I have to learn."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"I'm not quite sure what it looks like. I imagine it would radiate untold power. Still, I suspect any attempt to steal it would be anticipated by Dworkin. Perhaps he would be willing to offer it to help peace. I could report that I took it from his dead body." Odin splashes a little in the hot-tub. "There's perhaps a hundred of us who could get here. Perhaps less. I got to cheat when I searched for it. I doubt anyone would have thought of the method I used."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Well, I cannot say that I have seen any items laying about that are radiating untold power. Perhaps Dworkin would be open to negotiation on returning it in the name of peace though. I for one would never hazard to guess what Dworkin would or would not do. I am a gambler, but I like to at least know the possible outcomes and the likelihood of them. When it comes to Dworkin I have no such knowledge. You know him far better than I."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Dworkin is bizarre, no matter where he is. He certainly isn't the dwarf I met three centuries ago." He shrugs. "So, will you be attending the ball later? I am still tempted to find what might be happening with him. I must admit, the more you know him, the less sense he makes."

This is the part where the camera pans back, and on your other side Quin (still in full costume) is in the tub on your other side. "Items of power you say? I seem to recall something of that sort, but I always assumed that was a shard of the pattern."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Nuall glaces to the other side and starts when he sees Quin. "Greetings my friend. I did not notice you come in. I must be losing my touch." Nuall laughs.

"I do not know if you two have met yet, but just in case, Quin this is Odin. Odin, this is Quin. This is not the best venue for standing on ceremony."

"Hmmm...I suppose that a shard of the Pattern might be item Odin has been speaking of. But as Odin pointed out, Dworkin would no doubt anticipate any attempt to steal it...and I doubt he would do that by leaving it out in the open." He slips Quin a wink, knowing that Odin won't see it on the other side of him.

"As for the ball, I am definitely planning to attend. That is one reason that I am here. I am much in need a good bath and shave if I am to look my best for the evening. And after the past week, some good food would be greatly appreciated...and at a ball they always try to impress with the food. Focusing on feeding myself instead of feeding the troops would be a nice change."

"Will you two gentlemen be attending as well? And does anyone know if Dworkin will actually attend this time?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Quin nods, "I'm always everywhere. Although Ashara is not happy with me. She's the steward there and isn't happy with the idea she can be displaced at a moment's notice. I sort of pointed that out last time I was there. As for Dworkin, he attended last night's festivities. There was an open invite to tea, he doesn't give that unless he's serious."

Odin offers, "I'm not planning on keeping him away. Although he may work to keep me away. I mean, I am here to observe."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Well last ...night?...yes, last night I'm not sure I'd call Dwokin's presence 'attending'. I would be more likely to call it 'breezing through'. I have no recall of the invitation to tea, so I must have been more distracted that I would have thought. At least it gave everyone something to chat about. Some times that is the most important thing a noble can do...creating minor spectacles of themselves. It gives the lesser ranks something to think about rather than finding some more serious mischief to get into. And it makes the ones who see it feel more important than the ones who missed out. Everyone likes to feel more important."

"As for trying to keep an observer away my Lord Odin, I see little point in that. After all it will be a ball with many people attending...and scores of servants everywhere. Every little thing that is said or done will be all over the city before daybreak. The worst that would happen is that you would know the truth of what really occurred rather than hearing the embellished tales afterwards."

Nuall give Quin a sly glance. "...unless you happen to know that Dworkin has something special planned for the evening?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Odin shakes his head. "I have not heard of anything special for tonight. Although, I think there might be something planned at Ht'Gon tomorrow night I doubt anyone would attempt anything underwater."

Quin sighs, "Perhaps I should go ask him." He gets out of the tub, showing that yes, he did have the full suit on. He makes a show of going to shake himself dry, but apparently the suit sheds water like sharkskin. "I doubt he'd tell me if the item you're looking for will be there, but perhaps I can find out if he intends to dance." He bows to both of you. "Unless you have a better message?"

He will delay just long enough to give you a real chance to respond.