07.02c: Sufficiently Advanced (Aftermaths)

The goings on of courts
misfit
Raving Mad

Re: 07.02c: Sufficiently Advanced (Aftermaths)

Post by misfit »

"I agree that bloodshed is unavoidable at this point. I never asked to be a part of this, but I am now and a side has already been chosen. I am going to do what I can to make certain that side at least survives. To that end I have duties. I will return shortly."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"But I told the sheriff I would figure things out when I returned..." she whimpers pitifully as Nuall leaves...
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

"Lark? No." Oberon shakes his head. "One does not hunt as a lark. This was an education, as to how much power we have, and the responsibility of using it. To see technology and magic, and the consequences."

"We made this better. If you want, perhaps we can talk to the head of the orcs, but we don't have enough time to fix everything. Sometimes we do things that are bad, hope you never have to deal with accidentally destroying a shadow. We are gods, and I suspect you are one of us Sadie." he shakes his head, "Nuall's solution of finding a proper leader to leave behind is perhaps the best thing we can do. The new leader will do all those things you wished to do. Make sure these people survive."

"And we certainly can track the red orc. We have enough time for that at least."
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

"I am in no condition to talk to the head orc in the way it must be done, and I don't know what to say to the red orc, if there even is something. In the military there is an acronym, FUBAR, and this situation is definitely that. If I were healed perhaps I could do something, point the orcs in another direction, bring them the dragon's head, ect. But now, in this moment I just want to curl into a ball and finish what the dragon started. That will pass, and I will move on, I always do, for better or for worse. Such is the life of an immortal. I think I'll take that bed now."
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

After about an hour Nuall returns from his tour. He grabs a drink from the bar and reports to Balduin. Then he sits down with Oberon...and Solten unless he's off tending Sadie.

He glares at Oberon. "Thank you so much for this lovely time. No, don't bother to say it. I know what you did and I know why you did it. You could have made your point another way. I always hate feeling manipulated."

"Before you ask, here's the short version of the story. When I woke the orcs were being downright rude. Honestly, I was spoiling for a fight, so there was one. There were no fatalities. I tried to get some information out of that so-called sheriff, but he was far from forthcoming. The key information he shared was that there is no clear chain of command if the dragon is taken out of the picture...and I assume that he is. The sheriff thought one of the black orcs would probably take charge. That makes me hope that there will be infighting in their ranks and that could thin out the ranks facing us and slow their response."

"Since the thought of fighting a war and becoming a Lord for these people has no appeal for me, I went for a short walk and found Balduin there. He is shaping up quite nicely. I think he will be able to handle the situation if he has time to get his feet under him. I have been doing what I can to help on that point. He is getting a peasant militia formed up and getting crude fortifications in place. Maybe with you here now we can get some scouting down and see if we can find out how much time we have before the enemy gets here."

"On a side note, there is a small castle nearby. There was...ahem...a disturbance there last night. It seems that the orcs there were wiped out. It will provide a good command center, and hopefully more weapons and provisions. The downside is that we don't have the troops right now to secure the castle and protect the town. Since the defiance started here at the inn, the inn will be the first target. The orcs will want to crush the resistance and make an example."

Nuall sighs deeply. "Those are the key points. Am I correct in assuming that the dragon is truly dead? If not, that will change this fight if a serious way. ...and will Sadie be alright?"
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Oberon nods. "The dragon is dead." He thinks and sighs, "Well, no clear leadership will be a problem, but it definitely gets us some time. Sadie, is coming to grips with being a god. Our actions destroy worlds, remake them, even if we're not sure how. That pattern walk you did completely rewrote the fate of this land, just by taking a minor player from a different one." He shakes his head. "Well, I suppose I should make sure that things settle down. We leave in a few days, perhaps the orcs will give a chance to make a difference."

"There are millions of worlds like this one. We can't save all of them, and we did what we could here. With the dragon gone, these people have a real chance. More then they'd ever have otherwise." He looks around. "You did good, and you're starting to understand."

"It's easy to dismiss these places as mere shadows of Amber. And it is true, if we keep peace in Amber, it will help these shadows, however indirectly. But what always bothers me when I think about it is this: If this is a shadow of Amber, who cast the shadow of the dragon?"
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

"Why, I thought that you had. You said that we create the rules of the shadows. You wanted to bring us to a dragon. Is the dragon's presence here not because you willed it so?"

Nuall looks thoughtful. "I believe the true question is who created the idea of dragons? Would that not be the source of the dragons in the shadows? ...unless there is one in Amber that I am not aware of. And could there be another Amber that is also casting shadows?"

Nuall grimaces. "Bah! I'm getting philosophical...while sober! That is a completely unnatural state of affairs."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

So, semi-montage: (Feel free to ask for elaboration of any of these parts)
  • After a day or two, Sadie is well enough to travel. She had an encounter one night, which we might post elsewhere.
  • Taking the castle and getting the resistance started is child's play. Especially since the first 3 orc leaders are mysteriously assassinated. Oberon has no idea what you're talking about, he couldn't travel that distance that fast.
  • You get a going away feast.
  • Heading back is a little tough, but not terrible. Sadie has to be carried but that's not terrible. I'll be breaking things off at arrival times. in the winter festival. You arrive a little before noon, if you're curious.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

(OOC: This is my attempt to fill in what Solten was doing during this time. I know the playes understand the absence and assumed what was going on, but I wanted to write it down anyway.)

During this time, Solten has been primarily doing two things: Carrying Sadie around as needed, and attempting to convince her to just calm down and rest. He alternates between muttering about how "this wasn't some competition" or "running into foolishness", and how he's amazed she's alright and healing so quickly, and an occasional "That was actually pretty awesome, except for the falling off the mountain part".

Sadly, since I wasn't around at the time, he was not a part of the philsophical discussion about shadow. But I'm sure there will be plenty more opportunities for that.
Solten