07.08d: Matters of State

Play by post Amber game, now in progress
Veyska
Lunatic

Re: 07.08d: Matters of State

Post by Veyska »

misfit wrote:Finally, if this hasn't been released to the public yet in game there is still time to PCs to voice their objections and try to help Sadie refine it to address their concerns. Not even Sadie could write a bullet-proof constitution over night. :)
I came up with some objections OOC and was basically told "Leave it alone." So I am. In and out of character for the moment.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Le sigh, so not prepared or motivated enough to deal with this, and heading to work exhausted and worn out so, look. I'll put it this way again, the original was better. The checks and balances I mentioned come later, she needs the power to create them first as well as the acceptance of those that play their part in that checks and balances.

The unity to keep complaining about John comes afterwards when things get set up. As mentioned by Sadie and even in the crappy document everyone hates and 15 bajillion times, there's zero intent her on just grabbing Rebma and running off.

As for being a power play, yes yes it is, duh, all politics are power plays, in Sadie's case with the intent to circumvent build and rejoin in a fashion doesn't require building upon or using the current amber law system that frankly stands for the exact opposite of everything she believes in. You may not see it that way, but as long as she tries to work within a system with such laws built in directly she might as well being doing two things talking to a wall or trying to start a revolution.

Oh well off to work...
Sadie - "You have the right to remain silent.
Anything you say or do can and will be held against you in a court of law..."
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

As a silly question... What if you were to have posted:
Here's the intent. It was drafted with this much warfare.
Thus people with lower warfare are stuck to the intent, and people with higher warfare (who want to poke holes IC, or help plug holes) can find loopholes if they want.

In fact, why don't I state that's how it will work? Declarations of independence and sovereignty can carry huge subtext with wording and how they are written. You can have text written out if you want, but you post a bullet list of your intentions. If something is not mentioned, Arden can counter with "Oops, let me add that." in a warfare vs warfare challenge. (And if you're not trying to poke holes in it, you can relent and just let arden state what the intent was...)

Now as for calling Arden out on something that was his intent (such as a separate Rebma government). Well, that's the way he intended it to read, go to town.

Arden, was my bullet list correct? Would you like to add anything?
misfit
Raving Mad

Post by misfit »

Or would it be Psyche? Or some combination of the two?
Wyvern
Prismatic Pangolin

Post by Wyvern »

Psyche is the stat for reading intent, empathy, detecting lies, etc... so, I'd likely vote some combination of the two?
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Psyche could be used to read it, yes. Not so much to write one, but definitely to read.
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Your bullet list looks fine. What is missing from it and the document is the intent to create some form of supreme court type thing (OOC: Goal is to put Dworkin in at first until a Rebma PC or NPC in the adviser role exists that can be put in charge of such a position.) Since such is not formalized as neither is a full constitution am unsure whether it should be included or not in the bullet list, or preserved for later explanation.
coldcandor
Missing Some Marbles

Post by coldcandor »

I didn't even realize this thread existed until today (For some reason I had been refreshing only the "In Character" sub-forum the last few times...), so oops. I thought I'd post here Solten's specific position on what Sadie is doing to provide some context for what he does or doesn't do in game.

He spent the month with Sadie and Priscilla and assisted on the document creation. However, the combination of him having no memory of prior governments, not being particularly interested in the subject, and myself hating the subject with a passion more or less relegates his position to:

1) He knows what she intended and tried to assist in making the written document reflect that, but likely not with great success
2) He supports her but does not blindly follow. This is made somewhat difficult to stay up on, since it requires reading and (more or less) understanding the posts myself
3) He prefers to remain mostly silent on the details. If he gets into details in-game for whatever reason, I will likely follow the example of "He means to do this" and reference stats if appropriate. My recent post about whispering to Sadie is a good example.

So far, we have been doing fairly well with posting what characters actually say/do, with occasional context/subtly clarifications, but we can't expect everyone to think like their characters. It certainly doesn't help that we have a couple annoyed or otherwise silent characters. I know very well how easy it is to misinterpret written statements, so let's try to make bigger use of these OOC threads in future.
Solten
Joshua
Gibbering

Post by Joshua »

Rebma Declaration of Sovereignty:
Written at mid-rank warfare.
  • Rebma is its own country / city-state. Sadie is queen of Rebma (not new, just confirming this was the intent.)
  • Random Amberites cannot go into Rebma and make laws, decrees or execute people off the streets.
  • All citizens of Rebma are to be trained as militia and are to own the defense of their own city.
  • Dworkin's ramblings don't apply to Rebma unless it is okayed by Rebma (see below).
  • Nobles can't execute peasants... Civil rights... etc.. etc...
  • This will be phased in by NPCs with decent warfare and good political savvy aided by what PCs want to help, likely over the course of several in game years.
  • A governing supreme court will be put into place (initially Dworkin, then Rebma PC, then council...) to deal with law conflicts and citizen's challenging laws as unfair.
To search for hidden intent in this declaration, it's a matter of Psyche.
To twist the words to find loopholes is Warfare.
To point out loopholes that should be closed that have not yet been found, is also warfare.
If a bullet is not listed, you may ask as a challenge.

This seems a lot better than the wall of text. And the second part (of how to find what and where), won't be repeated ICly.

Seem good?
Sadie
Lunatic

Post by Sadie »

Sounds fine